How do you know when it's time to call it quits?

Always thought this would be an easy one to answer if it ever came to it, but know that I'm here and actually seriously considering it... not so much.

Without going into a lot of detail, I've been working at the same company for the better part of two decades.

I make good money and still like the work but the direction the company and management has taken has left me more unhappy with each passing year and lately I've been feeling miserable and trapped.

The dilemma is that my company has a stranglehold on the industry in my area so there are not a lot of options available for me if I were to leave.

My logical side tells me to keep sticking it out as long as I can but I'm starting to feel that this is starting to take a toll on my mental health and at times maybe even physically!

Maybe just a rant or looking for some stories how others might have handled a similar situation.

Logically look at yourself mentally and then access whether you can go on.

If it pays the bills and you have a bit left over...

Up to you

aM

Are you far from retirement?

Can you keep doing this till retirement?

If you do nothing will you be any happier than now?

Will anything improve at work? (major changes on the way)

Think about your answers to those questions.

The sooner you take that step, the sooner you are in a new position. I know it's scary but only you can decide.

It's not good for your physical or mental health to stay in a job you hate and that makes you miserable. But it's also not a good idea to quit without a solid plan in place. Can you get into a new industry? Can you move to a new area where your company doesn't control the industry your in? Can you take schooling or training to learn something new? Can you move to a different position within your current company that you will make you happier. Start brainstorming and figure out a plan. Don't just quit with no idea what you're going to do next.