Bad worker in the office...

So I work in drug trials and there unfortunately was a man who said he haf a drug reaction.*

This lady or monitor who audits us would not tell let the doctor look into the unblinding of the medication to help the patient...*

Thereafter I did go above my monitors head to do what I had to under the doctors request...*

So after that this lady started making my life a living hell. She started nit picking everything I did.... even called my doctor to complain about me and he was like ??????*

The company I work for was completely behind me. I then asked for a new auditor or monitor...but unfortunately there was nobody else to send at that point.... so they made her neet me and she humiliated me in front of the doctor.... as it turned out the first patient faked a drug reaction... and the second patient we had messed up his electronic diaries.. again nothing I could control.....shes now had the entire project shut down at our office temporarily for false things shes said about us.....*

Has anyone ever met such a terrible person? All my coworkers say... sometimes you will meet someone that is just out to kill you...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I am working with a lady who is an extremely bad worker. She is constantly offloading her tasks onto other people and has voiced she is not paid enough for the work she does. She is somewhat friends with the boss...*

I noticed it at first and have voiced it twice... I dont believe anything has been done.... as I fear my manager thought it was just catiness. Now other people are starting to notice the behavior as well. The laziness and lack of work ethic. My manager actually cornered me the other day asking if there was anyonr at our office that was taking advantage (as I am there all the time and the head manager is going between several offices).*

I said there definately was and... my manager asked me is it this person? I said yes. She even does personal things at work goes on facebook etc. And the worst part is that she found out I told on her and her work habits bothered me so much I had to move desks.*

Im now in another room and she continuously is chatting up this new girl who doesnt know whats going on. What do I do.

Stay out of it. You have already voiced your concern.

Let the new person learn just like you had to.

WonderWoman911

Now that you moved to another work room, will her laziness have an impact on you now? If not, then there's no need to worry about anything anymore. If she wants to chat and gossip with the new girl, so be it. She's probably working on the new girl being her prey to do all of her workload for her. Who knows. Plus even though she found out you went to the boss about the issue, so what. Don't let that bother you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Ive recently been promoted to a management role. I have never been in this type of position before and I am open to learning. So we have a very difficult employee and up until this point nobody has dealt with it. Its not fair to others to have someone like her on staff.

So I consulted with our new hr person and she said I needed to send an email saying we are having an issue with her performance (today) and that we would meet with her on Tuesday.*

I am really not sure how to handle this type of meeting. In the email I basically said we are having an issue with your work and we need to get some things in place to address this. And wed like to hear your concerns. To this she anwered... great.... and she copied in the owner of the company... who already knows the situation.

What is the actual issue?

I wouldn't know how to suggest you handle it without knowing what the problem is.

ETA: That you are now the manager it would be pretty much expected that you have an action plan to overcome/monitor the issues.

• Like 1
  • Author

So recently I had to come down on an employee.

I have recently been promoted into a management role. This woman doesnt respect me at all. We sent her a disciplenary letter myself and hr, and she said that in the last year she has overheard me tear down person after person... and that she was next and that she expects better behavior from a manager and that I am moody and slam doors. She wrote threats saying that she would detail what id said about other employees....( which hasnt happened for awhile ).

. And that I slam doors which I have not.....I have no idea how to deal with this.

IMO you don't deal with it, you go to your boss and ask for direction.

or HR, if you deal with her at all this will escalate into a your word against theirs and they will file a workplace charge against you.

First of all, your behavior is not a topic for your employee to manage or comment on. Your behavior is between you and your boss. (If you were door slamming or doing anything else unacceptable, then of course I'd advise you to stop doing it.) Even assuming you were behaving badly, that isn;t the topic to be discussing with your employee. The right thing to discuss is how SHE is performing.

I recommend you check out Ask A Manager (askamanager dot com) for some of the best advice I've seen for new and developing managers.

It does seem as if you've said things you shouldn't have in the past. You stopped and you know you must avoid this going forward. But don't let her wave this over your head. When she brings it up, your response could be: "We're not here to talk about me, this is about you failing to submit your reports on time (or whatever other specific shortcoming or failure you want her to address)." Once you get her issues taken care of, you could say something like, "I was wrong to speak as I did previously. I regret it and I've made amends. At the same time, I'd like you to focus on your own behavior."

Good luck!