Would you ever move without a job?

MajesticUnicorn

Just curious.

I probably would never do it because I'm not much of a risk-taker, but I was curious what you all thought.

It's been my dream to move to this city after doing a summer internship there. I grew up always going with my family. My brother lives there now and it's one of my favorite places. I visit quite frequently, and about 6 months ago I decided I was going to start applying for jobs.

I've had a lot of interviews, so far more rejections than anything else. Last week was hard because I found out I had been turned down for my dream job (I made it to the 5th and final round of interviews.) It sucks. Most of the feedback I have gotten is that I am a great candidate, my portfolio is awesome (I'm a graphic designer) but they went with someone either a. local, or b. more experienced.

I currently have a job, I've been employed full time for about 2 years now. But I had several internships and part time jobs as well. So I feel like I look good on paper and I have received positive feedback from my interviewers, but I feel like part of what's holding me back is that I'm out of state.

I don't think I'm seriously considering moving without a job lined up, it's just a lot harder than I realized it was going to be. I suppose I have had a somewhat nonchalant approach to applying thus far, so maybe I'll have better luck if I get extremely serious about it. It's just hard to have the energy to do that after working full time all week.

I have a couple of friends who moved without jobs, picked up jobs bartending, waitressing, etc. just to pay rent. One ended up with a full time job, the other is still serving I believe.

Anyway it's not something I would do without having a big chunk of money saved. I'm just unhappy with my current job and ready to move so it's been a struggle.

UpwardForward

To this day, I wish I would have moved to the other end of the U.S. following the divorce.

But this is/was more of a dream than anything. Impossible, and because of all my baggage.

Have you thought of getting into an occupation of freelance, where you could move anywhere, anytime?

• Like 1

No way. My sister did this (single with three kids). She landed a job for less money that she hates but at least she has an income.

It's not easy to get a job in another city but no way I would move without one.

If you're young and have savings and don't have financial commitments I could see it being easier.

• Like 4
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn
To this day, I wish I would have moved to the other end of the U.S. following the divorce.

But this is/was more of a dream than anything. Impossible, and because of all my baggage.

Have you thought of getting into an occupation of freelance, where you could move anywhere, anytime?

I'm sorry to hear that. That is what I am worried about. That this will just forever be a dream of mine and I'll end up stuck here.

I have thought about doing freelance. In addition to my full-time job where I currently live, I do pick up freelance projects from time to time...mostly from friends or through word of mouth. It's crazy to me how much I make off side gigs compared to my full time job.

In many ways, freelancing is definitely an end goal for me as a designer. Being able to set my own hours, own prices, work with likeminded clients, etc. I have been researching it a TON in my down time and have even picked up a few books on it.

I think the hardest part about freelancing is the unpredictability of it. Being able to find clients in a new city, and maintain them. I did entertain the idea of possibly moving, getting a serving job or some form of part time job as a main source of income while I try to start up my freelance business.

No way. My sister did this (single with three kids). She landed a job for less money that she hates but at least she has an income.

If you're young and have savings and don't have financial commitments I could see it being easier.

I am young, and debt-free. As far as the savings go...not so much :lmao: I really need to get better about saving. I do have a pretty big chunk of money going towards my IRA. Other than that, my paychecks go towards food, and rent, and other spending which I know I should be a bit more fiscally responsible. I do have the option of moving back in with my parents, but after being out of their house for 5 years that isn't exactly ideal, though I do love em.

I recently re-downloaded this app that allows me to sell clothing/accessories/etc. on it that I used to generate a lot of extra money from in college. That might sound a bit silly, but my closet is packed of stuff I never wear. Based off what I currently own I'm willing to bet I could probably make around $1000 off that alone. Also have an old macbook pro I imagine I could get a couple hundred bucks out of. I know even combined that is not a substantial amount, but at least a start...

Eternal Sunshine

No I wouldn't. I actually don't think out of state if much of a disadvantage if you are able to start quickly.

I'm not enough of a risk taker to move without a job.

I can't help you with the experience but to appear more local, if he's willing, include your brother's address on your resume. Put your name up top, then list your permanent address (where you live now) & your local address (brother's place). The company you are applying to will see you have ties to their location so that can no longer be a negative factor.

• Author
MajesticUnicorn
No I wouldn't. I actually don't think out of state if much of a disadvantage if you are able to start quickly.

I don't know. I've talked to a lot of hiring managers in the location I am looking that say they throw out resumes of out-of-state resumes, about 50% of the job listings say "local candidates only." One even said, "local candidates only. We will laugh at you if you're applying out of state." RUDE! Not that I would want to work there anyway... and even though I am willing to start in two weeks, nearly every interview I've had my interviewer has told me that not being in-state puts me at a disadvantage compared to other candidates.

The way I have heard it explained is that even though a candidate may be willing to cover their own relocation expenses, employers often don't like taking a risk on an out-of-state candidate...they don't want to deal with the guilt if it doesn't work out. Of course this is a case by case basis, but this has been my experience thus far.

It doesn't help that the location I want to move to is growing in population and locals aren't happy about that.

I'm not enough of a risk taker to move without a job.

I can't help you with the experience but to appear more local, if he's willing, include your brother's address on your resume. Put your name up top, then list your permanent address (where you live now) & your local address (brother's place). The company you are applying to will see you have ties to their location so that can no longer be a negative factor.

That's what I have been thinking as well. I honestly haven't even been putting my address on resumes/cover letters as lately I've read it's not really necessary per say. I'm sure it may look a bit odd for me to leave it out.

Idk the reason I held off on doing that to begin with is because my Dad told me I shouldn't sacrifice my integrity just to get a job...which I think that is a bit dramatic. (Pretty sure he just said that because he wants me to stay put!)

Thank you!

It depends on why I am moving to city.

I think that although I am a bit of a risk taker, I still like to have my training wheels so to say.

If think that having a job would be important in moving there. Also have to weigh if the potential pros of moving there outweight the cons.

yes, but i'm a good saver and always make sure i'm covered for years, not months. i've up and left without a job 3 times to other cities. i'd only advise it if you have enough in the bank for 1 year + because it can take quite a long while to get established and find something in your field. each time i've moved i took step backward in my field though, having to basically start at entry-level (or close) each time

Banker Chick

I did it. Moved from the Midwest down to Florida with no job. I did however have quite a few years job experience & an MBA. I also had few bills & lived frugally although I had a 12 yo daughter that came with me too. It's true what the other poster said about employers hiring out of staters. I worked a fun job for a year & then went back to what I had been doing up North. Employers told me they are hesitant to hire someone that has just moved to the state but they also admitted they liked to hire Midwesterners because they tend to have a good work ethic. I got that feedback a lot.

I have NEVER regretted my decision. I love living down here!

Edited by Banker Chick
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn
It depends on why I am moving to city.

I think that although I am a bit of a risk taker, I still like to have my training wheels so to say.

If think that having a job would be important in moving there. Also have to weigh if the potential pros of moving there outweight the cons.

It's been my dream to move to this city for SO long. There is a lot drawing me to it. It's a great place for entrepreneurs, those into advertising and design like I am, etc, in addition to having access to the beautiful outdoors, and having close friends and my brother nearby.

In a way, I feel like the pros outweigh the cons, but I suppose that may just be the optimist in me...

yes, but i'm a good saver and always make sure i'm covered for years, not months. i've up and left without a job 3 times to other cities. i'd only advise it if you have enough in the bank for 1 year + because it can take quite a long while to get established and find something in your field. each time i've moved i took step backward in my field though, having to basically start at entry-level (or close) each time

I did it. Moved from the Midwest down to Florida with no job. I did however have quite a few years job experience & an MBA. I also had few bills & lived frugally although I had a 12 yo daughter that came with me too. It's true what the other poster said about employers hiring out of staters. I worked a fun job for a year & then went back to what I had been doing up North. Employers told me they are hesitant to hire someone that has just moved to the state but they also admitted they liked to hire Midwesterners because they tend to have a good work ethic. I got that feedback a lot.

I have NEVER regretted my decision. I love living down here!

As a fellow midwestern I say right on! Ha. :) I am completely debt-free, and while I do have a decent amount of savings I don't think I have enough to live for a year comfortably.

Here's what I do know...theoretically I have considered moving at the beginning of November:

-If I were to give my two weeks notice, I will have a large paycheck coming on the 15th, and the 31st which should help a lot.

-IF I decide to move forward with this, I have a feeling my employer may allow me to work remotely at least for another 2 weeks...we have a business trip scheduled to the area I want to move in mid-November that I would be playing a vital role in. Assuming I'm still unemployed by that point I could still meet up with them and do my part.

-A friend that lives in the area has a waitress job that she has been working at and is able to live off of, which could be a good connection for me to at least have some sort of part time work

-I've been reaching out and posting about doing freelance work in the area

I have been browsing housing groups and came across a beautiful, furnished, house that would be a sublease from November through February, with the potential to extend. The rent is relatively cheap for the area. I had a video chat with the other tenants to get a video tour of the place and meet them. They're all photographers/freelancers/etc. so likeminded to me, and I think it would be a cool, collaborative, environment.

In a way I think this could be awesome, I'm not tied down to a lease, I won't have to lug all of my furniture out there, and it's a pretty sweet deal given the location/size of the place. It could give me the opportunity to get my feet on the ground, work part time/odd jobs, and have an in-state address to help me find something more permanent.

I'm really at a crossroads. Part of me of course is scared and thinks this could be a horrible idea. Another part of me says I've been waiting for so long, I have nothing to lose, and I should just go for it, that I will regret it if I don't take the chance.

Eeeeeek.

• Like 1

I sold all my furniture & stuff & only came to Florida with what fit in my car. It gave me a little extra $ & man did it feel good to not have a bunch of crap! I rented a furnished place for 2 years so I didn't have to buy furniture until I was fairly certain where I wanted to be more permanently. I worked for a year in a temporary job so I could check out employers & also show them I planned on staying in the state. Like I said, I have never regretted it. It felt a little like starting over & was exactly what I needed at the time. I figured if it didn't work out I could move back but 13 years later I think it worked out ?

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

If you're single and don't have children, then HELL YES, I'd advise you to do it. There's no other time in your life better than now! :)

Didn't read all of the prior posts word for word, but could you stay with your brother for a bit?

• Like 2
...an in-state address to help me find something more permanent.

this a key thing right here, it'll help you out a lot. try not to let fear hold you back, if it's a good chance for a better life/start it's worth a risk.

• Like 1
I probably would never do it

It's been my dream

I was sad to see these two lines typed so closely to each other, because as soon as I saw that it was your dream, I immediately thought you should do it.

I quit my job to go travelling around the world for two years. It was a huge risk; I had a great career and I quit it and burnt through all of my savings. Best decision I've ever made.

So many people sacrifice their dreams for security, but oddly enough I've found that when you follow them things just seem to work out. Just be smart about it. Don't be someone that lives with the regret that you never did what you wanted to do.

• Like 2
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn

Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. I decided I think I’m going to take a leap and go with this sublease. It’s only through February so worst case scenario if I hate it, I have a way out.

I have a few interviews set up including one with my dream company, so fingers crossed one of them works out! I think having an actual moving date, and then being there will really help me with my job search.

Now the scary part is telling people. My friends are of course understanding and supportive, same with my sisters, and my employer as well. The main people in really worried about telling is my mom and dad. I know they probably won’t react well, they have been pushing me to move to a closer city rather than across the country. I think they will come around eventually and be supportive, irs just going to be hard to tell them. Not to mention I’m so close with them that the thought of leaving them behind breaks my heart. But I think there’s no better time than now for me to take this leap.

• Like 3

I had similar thoughts when I was a few years younger of moving across the country. I applaud your determination and wish you the best, looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

• Like 1

I got rid of all my stuff, with the exception of what could fill a duffel and backpack, and headed down to where I wanted to be without a job or housing. Looking back it's almost frightening to think about how wrong it could have gone but through sheer grit, determination, hard work, and the love of my life at my side I made it work. Prospering actually. ;) I wouldn't trade my life now for anything.

People are too risk adverse nowadays in general I think. Which is unfortunate because the rewards out there for the bold are substantial.

• Like 3

I wouldn't do this if I were a single mother with 3 kids. However, if I were single and relatively young like the OP (correct me if I'm wrong), then I really couldn't see any downside — especially you have a brother in your dream city. But I'm also more of a risk-taker compared to many people.

• Like 1

I'm a math teacher with a masters degree and experience which means that I don't have a hard time landing a job. But, I still wouldn't move somewhere without having a job lined up. It's just a matter of practicality for me; I don't want to risk swimming in debt because I end up struggling to find a job. Or, end up working a job that I hate, just to make ends meet and keep my career moving forward.

• Like 2

I moved to other side of the world when I was 22, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing! Never regretted it. If you are young and basically free, go for it. Ive never really regretted the things Ive done, just the things I didnt do....

• Like 1

What I did was go for a visit to apply for jobs and try to get one before moving. i will give you a tip on that. you can't do it in one day. Set aside maybe 3 days because initial contact may be Day 1, but if they want to follow up, it could be at a later date. So come prepared to spend extra nights at a hotel if necessary and keep the rental car.

It depends on what my financial situation is. If I have a substantial amount of money savedup and can live comfortably off of it until I do find a job, than I would gofor it. But I would definitely make sure that I at least have a few interviewsset up.[FONT=Times New Roman][sIZE=3][/sIZE][/FONT]

• Like 1
Anyway it's not something I would do without having a big chunk of money saved. I'm just unhappy with my current job and ready to move so it's been a struggle.

good luck MU, you'll figure it out because you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders

• Like 1