LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Would you ever move without a job?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2017, 5:48 PM   #16
Established Member

Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. I decided I think Iím going to take a leap and go with this sublease. Itís only through February so worst case scenario if I hate it, I have a way out.

I have a few interviews set up including one with my dream company, so fingers crossed one of them works out! I think having an actual moving date, and then being there will really help me with my job search.

Now the scary part is telling people. My friends are of course understanding and supportive, same with my sisters, and my employer as well. The main people in really worried about telling is my mom and dad. I know they probably wonít react well, they have been pushing me to move to a closer city rather than across the country. I think they will come around eventually and be supportive, irs just going to be hard to tell them. Not to mention Iím so close with them that the thought of leaving them behind breaks my heart. But I think thereís no better time than now for me to take this leap.
MajesticUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 9:19 PM   #17
Established Member

I had similar thoughts when I was a few years younger of moving across the country. I applaud your determination and wish you the best, looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.
JEG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 9:54 PM   #18
Established Member

I got rid of all my stuff, with the exception of what could fill a duffel and backpack, and headed down to where I wanted to be without a job or housing. Looking back it's almost frightening to think about how wrong it could have gone but through sheer grit, determination, hard work, and the love of my life at my side I made it work. Prospering actually. I wouldn't trade my life now for anything.

People are too risk adverse nowadays in general I think. Which is unfortunate because the rewards out there for the bold are substantial.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 10:13 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenCity View Post
No way. My sister did this (single with three kids). She landed a job for less money that she hates but at least she has an income.

It's not easy to get a job in another city but no way I would move without one.

If you're young and have savings and don't have financial commitments I could see it being easier.
I wouldn't do this if I were a single mother with 3 kids. However, if I were single and relatively young like the OP (correct me if I'm wrong), then I really couldn't see any downside ó especially you have a brother in your dream city. But I'm also more of a risk-taker compared to many people.
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 10:03 AM   #20
Established Member

I'm a math teacher with a masters degree and experience which means that I don't have a hard time landing a job. But, I still wouldn't move somewhere without having a job lined up. It's just a matter of practicality for me; I don't want to risk swimming in debt because I end up struggling to find a job. Or, end up working a job that I hate, just to make ends meet and keep my career moving forward.
OatsAndHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 1:50 PM   #21
Established Member

I moved to other side of the world when I was 22, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing! Never regretted it. If you are young and basically free, go for it. Ive never really regretted the things Ive done, just the things I didnt do....
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full for language & ideas, even the phrase 'each other' doesn't make any sense. - Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī
TheWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 1:29 AM   #22
Established Member

Absolutely I would. I have done it 5 times. In fact, I've never changed states with a job set up!
Highndry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 4:30 PM   #23
Established Member

What I did was go for a visit to apply for jobs and try to get one before moving. i will give you a tip on that. you can't do it in one day. Set aside maybe 3 days because initial contact may be Day 1, but if they want to follow up, it could be at a later date. So come prepared to spend extra nights at a hotel if necessary and keep the rental car.
Old 24th October 2017, 4:39 PM   #24

It depends on what my financial situation is. If I have a substantial amount of money savedup and can live comfortably off of it until I do find a job, than I would gofor it. But I would definitely make sure that I at least have a few interviewsset up.[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
dnewsome516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 4:43 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticUnicorn View Post
Anyway it's not something I would do without having a big chunk of money saved. I'm just unhappy with my current job and ready to move so it's been a struggle.
good luck MU, you'll figure it out because you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders
Old 24th October 2017, 4:46 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG88 View Post
I had similar thoughts when I was a few years younger of moving across the country. I applaud your determination and wish you the best, looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaius View Post
I got rid of all my stuff, with the exception of what could fill a duffel and backpack, and headed down to where I wanted to be without a job or housing. Looking back it's almost frightening to think about how wrong it could have gone but through sheer grit, determination, hard work, and the love of my life at my side I made it work. Prospering actually. I wouldn't trade my life now for anything.

People are too risk adverse nowadays in general I think. Which is unfortunate because the rewards out there for the bold are substantial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneL View Post
I wouldn't do this if I were a single mother with 3 kids. However, if I were single and relatively young like the OP (correct me if I'm wrong), then I really couldn't see any downside ó especially you have a brother in your dream city. But I'm also more of a risk-taker compared to many people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatsAndHall View Post
I'm a math teacher with a masters degree and experience which means that I don't have a hard time landing a job. But, I still wouldn't move somewhere without having a job lined up. It's just a matter of practicality for me; I don't want to risk swimming in debt because I end up struggling to find a job. Or, end up working a job that I hate, just to make ends meet and keep my career moving forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoman View Post
I moved to other side of the world when I was 22, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing! Never regretted it. If you are young and basically free, go for it. Ive never really regretted the things Ive done, just the things I didnt do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highndry View Post
Absolutely I would. I have done it 5 times. In fact, I've never changed states with a job set up!
Well it's officially happening! As in, I'm moving the first weekend of November which is both a terrifying and exciting thing. It's definitely a risky move I know but I think if I don't do it I'm always going to wonder, "what if."

Luckily, it seems like I am still getting bites for interviews, as well as meetings with potential freelance clients and have a few set up for when I get to town. It already seems like having an address in this new city is making my job search a lot easier.

Now I'm just working on lightening my load and selling a bunch of stuff to hopefully rake up some extra cash before the move. That's gonna be the tricky part I think, I'll definitely be living the starving artist diet for a while but I'm fortunate in that I think if all else fails I will have my family to fall back on. LOL always can resort to tinder dates too right?

Of course I don't want to go into debt, but I am young and currently have no bills so to me it is worth the risk. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Hoping my determination and risk-taking will be rewarding in the end.
Old 29th October 2017, 9:20 PM   #27
Established Member

Well, my moving date is Saturday. Iíve been super excited about the move, but now that itís getting closer Iíve found myself feeling really sad. Mostly about leaving my parents behind, and my town.

Iíve lived here my entire life. Went to school here, then college, then worked full time after graduating college. This is literally all that I have known my entire life, aside from the summer where I interned in the city where Iím moving to.

Of course Iím excited to be taking this step. But at the same time, Iím terrified of the uncertainty that lies in moving without a job. Iím terrified of going somewhere brand new and that Iím just going to fail miserably and be broke.

Iím also just sad because Iíve always been within a fifteen minute drive of my parents. I know this is part of growing up, but itís still hard. While Iím fairly independent now, I have a very close relationship with my parents and have loved being able to see them whenever I want.

I think Iím experiencing all these emotions because Iíve never done anything like this before. Iím just wondering if itís normal to feel this way before a major life event. I want to be as excited as I was earlier on, but now Iím having second thoughts.
Old 29th October 2017, 9:33 PM   #28
Established Member

You're always going to leave behind things you value and be sad about it Unicorn. That's normal. But you can always go back and visit, and maybe even move back at some point. It's just another chapter in your life you're staring. Not necessarily forever.

I wouldn't be shocked if my fiance and I ended up moving back up to New England after the kids are grown in a few years. Never know which way the life winds will blow you.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote