LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

How do work from home people keep their sanity!?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2017, 2:39 PM   #16
Established Member

Try going to Chamber of Commerce breakfasts or joining other work based meet up groups. Consider treating yourself to a shared work space place once every few weeks to get out of the house once a month or so if that is conducive to doing your work.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 3:28 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguitar35 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but can people share what exactly are these work from home jobs they’re doing? Call center, programming, customer service, etc? I’m truly curious because I have a friend whose goal is to work from home, but it always sounded slightly absurd to me. I always associated work from home job advertising with scams.
I am a programmer for a call center.

OP - I have a hard time as well having just moved to a new town where I don't know a lot of people. I'm going to join the YMCA and take some classes to try and meet some people. I've also started hanging with another parent at my kids school.

As for keeping your sanity - it's hard. I've been working from home full time for about 3 years now but have been about 80% WFH for the last 10 years. I watch a lot of Hulu and Netflix.
alsudduth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 5:23 PM   #18
Established Member

I work from home for many years now and absolutely love it and wouldn't have it any other way.
I am a social media manager and get to choose my own hours and get to live life on my terms.
Having hobbies and things to do outside of work hours is key. Meet new people - a great place to do this is through meet up dot com, they have all sorts of groups for all interests and age groups that you can meet people and participate in activities.
Go to the gym if you like keeping fit, yoga, pilates, meditation groups, nature walking groups, cooking classes - anything that sparks your fancy.
Elswyth likes this.
cocoa342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 5:34 PM   #19
Established Member

Could you hire a small studio space, or work one-two days per week from the local library?
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 5:54 PM   #20
Established Member

Lots of people say they 'work from home' when they are actually scratching their a** at home i.e. doing anything but work (except calling in meetings to fake some activity).

If you're the rare other kind that actually work from home - yep - it gets boring. It is hard to motivate but as any other thing - in 2-3 weeks habits form and it gets easier.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 6:55 PM   #21
Established Member

Add me to the people who LOVE working from home. I am in IT and, unlike some others here, I have a more-or-less set schedule -- I have to be available during standard business hours for meetings and the like. But I still have so much freedom - I can run an errand, eat what and when I want, be available if a repair person has to come, easily go for a run or to the gym at lunch, don't have to worry about commuting.

I work for a big company (10K employees) that provides SaaS. We're very corporate but they allow some positions (typically at management level) to work remotely.
introverted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 8:57 PM   #22
Established Member

I love working from home and being with my dogs. I can also throw in a load of laundry and make a cheap lunch, but I also have days I go to an office and I usually eat out and kind of make it an event when I have to dress for work anyway and sometimes either eat lunch somewhere nice or sometimes stop at the rec center and get on the bike for a few minutes or both.

If you want to connect with neighbors and don't have kids, you can sign up for crime watch or something like that to get you out and about with a purpose. It is isolating and if you don't kind of stay in the habit of dressing and going out, you can get in a rut. My biggest problem is getting distracted and wasting time though......which I've been really bad at lately.
cocoa342 likes this.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:52 PM   #23
Established Member

It would drive me crazy. I love being at home, but I prefer working outside of the home.
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 3:41 PM   #24

Thanks for all the suggestions. I reached out to my local library to see if they needed any volunteers and am going to start taking my laptop and working on wi-fi away from home when I can (only places that have wi-fi in my area is McD's and library). Travelling is definitely on my agenda in the future which will definitely help.
I also set up a schedule that I am going to try and keep to help have a better work-home balance!
Old 27th September 2017, 8:29 PM   #25
Established Member

As others have said, schedule and space is a must. My GF#1 works from home - she more or less keeps a schedule. She definitely has space. When she's in her office corner and her headphones are on, it is the "don't bother me" signal. If I were to interrupt her or try to be cuddly with her at that time, I'm probably going to get glared at or worse.

For a lot of people it simply doesn't work out. If I were to work from home, I wouldn't get anything done. I would be too distracted. For my GF#1, working elsewhere just isn't an option. She dislikes being managed by others, and dislikes having to work a traditional day.

Find your space, find your balance...it may just work out for you.