Has anyone found jobs overseas via internet?

I am an Asian and I have spent at least 9 months trying to find work overseas by sending applications through the web but to no avail. The places that I have been applying for is in Europe. Lately, I got a call from a recruiter who said that getting work visa for non-EU citizens could take ages and thus shrugged me off from that opportunity.

Can anyone provide any tips to getting jobs across continents?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I'm basically working in the finance industry and I did asked a friend of mine for his address to put on my CV. I have sent probably 100 applications on LinkedIn now but haven't got anyone offering anything.

• 1 month later...

I just saw your thread - as an emigrant myself, I am afraid that unless you are in a profession that is very highly in demand in the country you are applying to, your chances are very slim.

Putting in someone else's address, besides being extremely dodgy, will not help you. They will explicitly state that they will need you to have the right to work in their country in order to give you the job, and you do not have the right to work in their country. To get the right to work in their country, you need a work visa. Unless you have a pathway to an open work visa (e.g. a qualification from a university in their country), you are reliant on your employer sponsoring you for a work visa. Employers are very restricted in whom they can sponsor for a work visa - usually they have to prove that they could not find a local who was qualified for the job. Plus it's a lot of expense and hassle for them. This is even worse in EU countries because you will come last, after locals AND after citizens of other EU countries.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you really want to emigrate, your best bet is to research the immigration side of things in specific countries yourself, with focus on their skill shortage lists. In finance, it will be difficult. EU countries and the US will be the absolute most difficult, so consider others. If you are young, you could check and see if any countries have work exchange or working holiday visa agreements with your country. Alternatively, if your intention is just to live overseas for a short period instead of emigrating, you could consider expat opportunities (in your own country - they will send you abroad) or being a digital nomad (work remotely while traveling).

Best of luck.

Edited by Elswyth

What is your field of work? It depends on the field, if you are in tech or science, it is not difficult at all.

In my case when I wanted to switch continents first I came over as an intern (in US, but my pay was coming from Europe), and during the 3-4 months stay, I got a US-based position for the next year. So I returned for this new position, and then when I decided to stay permanently and find a long-term job: I just self-petitioned for a Green card based on special skills, got it in few months and opened a whole new sea of possibilities for potential employment (because it is one hurdle less for the employer to arrange immigration documents).

I am an Asian and I have spent at least 9 months trying to find work overseas by sending applications through the web but to no avail. The places that I have been applying for is in Europe. Lately, I got a call from a recruiter who said that getting work visa for non-EU citizens could take ages and thus shrugged me off from that opportunity.

Can anyone provide any tips to getting jobs across continents?

• Like 1
What is your field of work? It depends on the field, if you are in tech or science, it is not difficult at all.

OP says she's in finance, which is typically much harder unless she has extremely niche skills/experience or lots of money for investment. An expat position could be a possibility in her field though, if the aim is just to live in Europe temporarily.

• Like 1
OP says she's in finance, which is typically much harder unless she has extremely niche skills/experience or lots of money for investment. An expat position could be a possibility in her field though, if the aim is just to live in Europe temporarily.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. I guess the expat route is the way to go, or if she's willing - to first go through some educational program and use it as a gateway to get in the job market of the country of interest.

• Like 1

I'm English. I work overseas and have found all my jobs online. This is because I'm well qualified and have experience in my field.

It is possible but you need to be in a shortage profession.