LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Tell employer about criminal record?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:43 AM   #31
Established Member

Do you know if the violent crime was a long time ago?

We (in the UK) have something called the rehabilitation of offenders act, so it doesn't mean that you can't ever work if you commit a crime.

It depends on what the conviction is for, how long ago it was, the age you were at the time and your new role.

People need to be given a second chance in life, otherwise how else are they meant to make a living.
basil67 likes this.

'If a man wants a woman to be an angel, he must first create a heaven for her. Angels do not live in hell'
sandylee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 1:02 AM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguitar35 View Post
Yeah, like I said we're a publicly funded agency, so I find it very surprising that they would knowingly hire a two time criminal with a violent history. He had to have lied on his application.
Add it to the list of things that have caused me to lose confidence in this organization. I want out of there.

1st, all the offenses you listed are misdemeanors and none of them involved violence. 2nd, you have no evidence he lied on an application. 3rd, don't let the door hit you in the way out.
basil67 and knabe like this.
Simple Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 1:53 AM   #33
Established Member

So, what benefit will outing this colleague (if by the slight chance they don't already know) give you in terms of your salary?

I can't understand how the two relate at all.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 7:21 AM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandylee1 View Post
Do you know if the violent crime was a long time ago?

We (in the UK) have something called the rehabilitation of offenders act, so it doesn't mean that you can't ever work if you commit a crime.

It depends on what the conviction is for, how long ago it was, the age you were at the time and your new role.

People need to be given a second chance in life, otherwise how else are they meant to make a living.
It sends the message that there are no consequences for bad behavior.

I'm sure there were other qualified candidates for that job who didn't have the multiple offenses this guy has and somehow managed to go through life without shattering a police car window. But that meant nothing to my employer when it came to filling that job. I question their judgement. If I found out that any of those jobs I interviewed for and didn't get recently I lost to ex-convicts, etc. I'd definitely be annoyed.
Redguitar35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 7:28 AM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaUK View Post
So, what benefit will outing this colleague (if by the slight chance they don't already know) give you in terms of your salary?

I can't understand how the two relate at all.
I think it's part of a pattern of questionable judgment on my employers part. Not only are they not paying me the money I want but they hired on someone with two criminal convictions, plus at a higher salary than mine. I will walk as soon as I land another job.

Last edited by Redguitar35; 3rd August 2017 at 7:33 AM..
Old 3rd August 2017, 7:41 AM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
It sends the message that there are no consequences for bad behavior.

I'm sure there were other qualified candidates for that job who didn't have the multiple offenses this guy has and somehow managed to go through life without shattering a police car window. But that meant nothing to my employer when it came to filling that job. I question their judgement. If I found out that any of those jobs I interviewed for and didn't get recently I lost to ex-convicts, etc. I'd definitely be annoyed.
So you believe that there were other candidates who would do a better job in his position? And why would your employer pass them up??? Dont you think they hired him because they thought he was the best man for the job?

And has he done a bad job or behaved in a violent manner?

The consequences are whatever the court sentenced him to. And that there are people like you in this world who're gonna cause him problems because theyre jealous and butthurt.
grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 8:12 AM   #37
Established Member

Quote:
If you were working 40 hours a week, stressed and barely getting by, and you were late on all your bills, and you couldn't afford to take vacations, and your employer didn't give a rats a** enough to adjust your salary even a modest amount, you'd be a little disgruntled too.
To be frank, it isn't your employer's job to pay your bills. It's your job to live within a budget so that you CAN pay your bills, or take on additional employment. I would bet that your attitude, which is clear as a bell here, it also evident to your employer. I wouldn;t give you a raise either.
Old 3rd August 2017, 8:35 AM   #38
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabe View Post
To be frank, it isn't your employer's job to pay your bills. It's your job to live within a budget so that you CAN pay your bills, or take on additional employment. I would bet that your attitude, which is clear as a bell here, it also evident to your employer. I wouldn;t give you a raise either.
I don't need your advice about how to spend what little money I make, thank you. Like I said, my employer made their choice to not pay me a fair amount, and I am making mine by hitting the street and finding someone who will pay me what I should be making. I will let you know when I get that.