LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Tell employer about criminal record?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2017, 1:14 AM   #16
Established Member

Did you apply internally for the higher paid role he was recruited for?

It seems odd that this would bother you so much, you don't 'appear' to care about the company as you called your employers jerks but then you say you think they should know for the reputation of the company, It doesn't add up.

Is this just because you don't think they pay you enough and you know he is paid more than you (both of which you posted)?
Elswyth and knabe like this.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 7:33 AM   #17
Established Member

It depends on how long ago these alleged crimes happened... They might be spent convictions.

It also depends on the nature of his role in your company.

People do lie on job applications. I work in HR and we recently found out that an employee forged a death certificate... So yes... We'd want to know about.

Send the details to HR with the evidence and they'll look into it. You can do so anonymously. Any decent organisation would want to know.

'If a man wants a woman to be an angel, he must first create a heaven for her. Angels do not live in hell'
sandylee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:48 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaUK View Post
Did you apply internally for the higher paid role he was recruited for?
It seems odd that this would bother you so much, you don't 'appear' to care about the company as you called your employers jerks but then you say you think they should know for the reputation of the company, It doesn't add up.

Is this just because you don't think they pay you enough and you know he is paid more than you (both of which you posted)?
No, I had no interest in applying for his job. I do think it's bizarre that my employer would rather pay for bad sandwiches and hire someone with two criminal convictions than pay me a reasonable wage, but that's their choice. I'm making mine by aggressively applying for other jobs. Maybe I'll see about calling his record to their attention on my way out the door.

Last edited by Redguitar35; 2nd August 2017 at 10:50 AM..
Redguitar35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:20 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguitar35 View Post
I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job. That's bs, imo.
Honestly, your attitude makes me question YOUR character more than his. This is not your business. You are not human resources. Mind your own business. And don't gossip about it to my coworkers.
JS84 and basil67 like this.
knabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:22 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
No, I had no interest in applying for his job. I do think it's bizarre that my employer would rather pay for bad sandwiches and hire someone with two criminal convictions than pay me a reasonable wage, but that's their choice. I'm making mine by aggressively applying for other jobs. Maybe I'll see about calling his record to their attention on my way out the door.

Annnnnd there we go. You're just bitter.

Stay out of it
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:35 PM   #21
Established Member

Journal Entries: 39
Yeah, I think people who seek to materially damage the lives and reputations of others should experience a special kind of demise
basil67 likes this.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:41 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhill View Post
Yeah, I think people who seek to materially damage the lives and reputations of others should experience a special kind of demise
Amen! I think I'm gonna quote you on that.

OP, there may be more to this story or to this person's life than you know.

That said, I know what it's like to be unhappy at a job. I hope you can find something that makes you happier.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:43 PM   #23
Established Member

Wow. First you decline a job offer because you cannot bear to have to work with someone who was chosen for the better job instead of you, now you're trying to get your colleague fired because he earns more than you?

You clearly have major issues with jealousy and sour grapes, and the sooner you deal with those, the better it will be for you. It oozes out of your every pore! I would suggest playing some games or sports to learn to deal with losing with better sportsmanship.

Regarding your colleague, chances are your HR department already knows. Remember, if you can Google someone, they can, too (and it's literally their job to do so). It would reflect more poorly on you than on him if you tried that. If he was convicted of something like raping a child, then it might be worth bringing it up just in case, but a DUI, damage to property and resisting arrest? Nah. Not unless he was hired as a cab driver or something.

Would you still feel the need to tell HR if he wasn't making more than you? There's your answer.

Last edited by Elswyth; 2nd August 2017 at 12:47 PM..
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 2:25 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
Wow. First you decline a job offer because you cannot bear to have to work with someone who was chosen for the better job instead of you, now you're trying to get your colleague fired because he earns more than you?
If I felt I was the best person for the job, why would I consider working under the person that beat me out for it? Their offer was totally disrespectful and insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
Would you still feel the need to tell HR if he wasn't making more than you? There's your answer.

Yes, I would. I'm just saying the fact that they've hired him on for better pay, possibly without thoroughly vetting him, give me all the more reason to want out of there. I'm working on it.
Old 2nd August 2017, 3:24 PM   #25
Established Member

Most employers do at least a cursory background check so he probably already knows. I wouldn't say anything.
knabe likes this.
Old 2nd August 2017, 4:24 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabe View Post
Annnnnd there we go. You're just bitter.
If you were working 40 hours a week, stressed and barely getting by, and you were late on all your bills, and you couldn't afford to take vacations, and your employer didn't give a rats a** enough to adjust your salary even a modest amount, you'd be a little disgruntled too.
Old 2nd August 2017, 5:24 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
If you were working 40 hours a week, stressed and barely getting by, and you were late on all your bills, and you couldn't afford to take vacations, and your employer didn't give a rats a** enough to adjust your salary even a modest amount, you'd be a little disgruntled too.
I completely understand you being bitter at your employer. But this issue is strictly between you and your employer.

By all means tattle on your coworker if you see him doing something which will affect the business. But otherwise, keep your nose out of his business.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 6:00 PM   #28
Established Member

Dude, ratting out another employee and putting him in a bad situation thatís worse than yours (no job at all) does nothing for you personally. If he gets fired then what? Someone else will just get the job and still be making more than you.

Youíre unhappy there, just focus on interviewing and getting a new job. Forget that new guy, he has done nothing personally to you and has no effect on your future pay, so why does it matter?

Your business is interviewing and moving on to a better company that compensates you fairly.
Gillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 9:23 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
If I felt I was the best person for the job, why would I consider working under the person that beat me out for it? Their offer was totally disrespectful and insulting.
Apparently the hiring manager(s) didn't share your feelings that you were the best person for the job. Definitely worth thinking about why that might be. The why you might have accepted is that given they felt this person was the better candidate, you might have learned something from him/her by working under them.

And I doubt they felt their offer was disrespectful and insulting. They offered you what you were worth to them at the present time.
basil67 and knabe like this.
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:52 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForBardot View Post
Apparently the hiring manager(s) didn't share your feelings that you were the best person for the job. Definitely worth thinking about why that might be. The why you might have accepted is that given they felt this person was the better candidate, you might have learned something from him/her by working under them.

And I doubt they felt their offer was disrespectful and insulting. They offered you what you were worth to them at the present time.
What they thought I was worth, which I'm under no obligation to accept. I felt I could get a better offer somewhere else and that's what I plan to do.