LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Tell employer about criminal record?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2017, 8:10 AM   #1
Established Member

Tell employer about criminal record?

I've discovered that a new employee who was recently hired on has a criminal record. One was for drunk driving and another for property damage and resisting arrest in a separate incident. I knew I recognized him from somewhere and sure enough it was from news reports when the incident occurred a few years ago. I wonder if my current employer knows this or if it came up in the selection process, especially since he's being paid considerably more than I am.

Do you think I should bring this to my employers attention? We are a taxpayer funded organization, so if he had any future slipups it would definitely be a public source of embarrassment. Then again, I'm actively looking for other jobs because these jerks aren't paying me enough, so what do I care?
Redguitar35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 8:17 AM   #2
Established Member

If your employer cared, they'd run a criminal history. None of the offenses are likely to have a bearing on his job, unless his duties include driving, for instance.

I'd leave it alone and hope this guy has his act together now.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Established Member

Why would you do that, that to me seems mean spirited...

You don't know the outcomes of those cases and what punishments he received.. if he has paid his fines and done his punishments why hold that against him.
You also don't know if he disclosed it on his job application...

IMO if you tell you become worse than he is, you would be creating unneeded drama at work and he hasn't created any.

With google today employers put everybody's name in the search engine with the word arrest or mugshot.
Just like they look at their FB accounts and social media as well so I'm sure they did some due diligence...

I say let the employer accept responsibility for who they hired... oh and stop googling your coworkers names
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguitar35 View Post
I've discovered that a new employee who was recently hired on has a criminal record. One was for drunk driving and another for property damage and resisting arrest in a separate incident. I knew I recognized him from somewhere and sure enough it was from news reports when the incident occurred a few years ago. I wonder if my current employer knows this or if it came up in the selection process, especially since he's being paid considerably more than I am.

Do you think I should bring this to my employers attention? We are a taxpayer funded organization, so if he had any future slipups it would definitely be a public source of embarrassment. Then again, I'm actively looking for other jobs because these jerks aren't paying me enough, so what do I care?
Drunk driving, property damage and resisting arrest make the news in your community or are you internet investigating your co-workers?
knabe likes this.
Simple Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 1:09 PM   #5
Established Member

I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job. That's bs, imo.

Last edited by Redguitar35; 1st August 2017 at 1:13 PM..
Old 1st August 2017, 1:15 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job.

Sounds like sour grapes on your part.

We hire people who have criminal records. Sometimes they're simply the most qualified for the job. We take various factors into account: age when the offense occurred (yes, there is a pass for being a dumbass kid), how old the offense is, seriousness of the offense, whether or not there's any relationship between the offense and the job duties (DUI's and a driving job aren't a good mix), and potential PR fallout (can we justify our decision if this hits the papers?).

A criminal record shouldn't necessarily be a death sentence in the job market. People screw up. Sometimes they get caught. The question becomes whether they learned anything from it.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 1:24 PM   #7
Established Member

Having a record isn't the problem. Lying about it on your job app is the kiss of death.

On the theory that they "always shoot the messenger" I wouldn't say anything.

If you are adamant about spilling the beans, mention it at your exit interview but not before.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 1:44 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
Having a record isn't the problem. Lying about it on your job app is the kiss of death.

On the theory that they "always shoot the messenger" I wouldn't say anything.

If you are adamant about spilling the beans, mention it at your exit interview but not before.

Yeah, like I said we're a publicly funded agency, so I find it very surprising that they would knowingly hire a two time criminal with a violent history. He had to have lied on his application.
Add it to the list of things that have caused me to lose confidence in this organization. I want out of there.
Old 1st August 2017, 1:52 PM   #9
Established Member

DWI is a traffic offense, not a crime in most places.

Property damage is usually a low level offense, usually disorderly persons, again not a felony.

A person can be charged with resisting arrest if they don't move their hands behind their back as fast as some overly zealous officer wants them to. It's not necessarily the person struggling & disrespecting law enforcement.

Depending on the state those offenses may not have been classified as "crimes". They would not be considered crimes where I live. Thus, somebody could honestly answer no if asked if they have ever been convicted of a crime. Moreover, you don't know whether your employer knows or not.

I agree with you that this is one more reason you need to get out. But speaking up here doesn't help you & could hurt you.
basil67 and knabe like this.
Old 1st August 2017, 1:59 PM   #10
Established Member

It's none of your business.

Businesses that care about stuff like that do background checks. Some businesses take part in programs to help rehabilitate people who had past offenses. The HR person could know and have another reason for hiring him. Who knows?

You weren't in the interview process. You're being a busybody and should mind your own business.
grays, basil67 and knabe like this.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 2:04 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
DWI is a traffic offense, not a crime in most places.

Property damage is usually a low level offense, usually disorderly persons, again not a felony.

A person can be charged with resisting arrest if they don't move their hands behind their back as fast as some overly zealous officer wants them to. It's not necessarily the person struggling & disrespecting law enforcement.

This guy kicked through a police car window when they tried to bring him in, so there you have it.
Old 1st August 2017, 2:35 PM   #12
Established Member

Alright that is truly resisting arrest. Very dramatic.

You still have to assume the employer knows.
knabe likes this.
Old 1st August 2017, 4:51 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
It's none of your business.
I think this is the main point....
knabe likes this.
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 5:38 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job. That's bs, imo.
Why should they be at the bottom of the pile? Maybe some people would put unqualified people at the bottom, or maybe entitled brats should go at the bottom.
knabe likes this.
grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:59 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grays View Post
Why should they be at the bottom of the pile? Maybe some people would put unqualified people at the bottom, or maybe entitled brats should go at the bottom.
Because that's where most people think they should be. Then they can't figure out why people with criminal records or who have served time have high recidivism rates. In large part because people don't want to hire them and they can't find gainful employment.

If the guy's not causing any problems at work, I'd leave it alone and worry about yourself. Honestly why do you even care?
grays and knabe like this.
JS84 is offline   Reply With Quote