Tired of interviewing and getting no offers

Redguitar35

Im really underpaid and basically live paycheck to paycheck. I've been in my current position about five years and have been struggling trying to find something that pays better than the job I have now. A friend forwarded to me a job posting. It pays $20,000 more than I'm currently making for doing...the exact same job I'm doing now. I thought, "someone's getting paid that for my job? I better apply." I had great experience in every single qualification the listing called for. I even went to the same graduate program with one of the managers there. So I interviewed, and that seemed to go great. It felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Anyway, fast forward a few days, and I get a call from them saying that they decided to go with another candidate. They said they wanted to make sure I understood how much they liked me, it was a hard decision and that the hiring manager was "distraught". They asked if I might be interested in applying for some position they're thinking about opening in a month or so that's more on the research assistant staff side of things. I just said I'd be willing to look at the job posting if that came up but it's hard to say without seeing the salary and description. that was it.

I'm really not holding my breath on any of that. But do you think what they said was sincere or just BS to soften the blow?

Also, I feel really gut-punched by the whole thing. If I can't get hired for something I'm qualified for, why bother sending out any more applications?

Edited by Redguitar35

Getting hired requires a lot of things: timing, qualifications & fit. Just because you have the qualifications doesn't mean someone isn't a better fit. The fact that this company was encouraging you to hang on means you have solid credentials. This was one job. Like getting a great relationship, it's the law of large numbers. Keep applying.

• Like 3
  • Author
Redguitar35

I don't think it was really something I would enjoy doing for eight hours a day, I just wanted the salary. I feel like I'm never going to get paid more than the peanuts I'm getting paid now. I can't even afford to travel somewhere on what I'm making. It's depressing.

Mr Scorpio

I know the feeling. I spent almost two years applying to anything and everything tangentially related to my area of study. I must have sent out over 200 applications/resumes. I had three interviews. It was extremely discouraging. It sucked.

But in the end the only choices are to give up or keep trying. I think that is an easy choice to make. Keep trying. Keep networking. Keep applying. Keep a positive attitude.

• Like 1

To be honest, it sounds like they really did like you enough to want to offer you a different job--maybe another person really was a better fit for the job at this time.

If you didn't actually play that hard to get and tell them "it depends on the salary," and if your current job is unacceptably bad, you should follow up with them. If nothing else, you have a chance at networking with people you wouldn't have met at this place you've been at for five years.

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
To be honest, it sounds like they really did like you enough to want to offer you a different job--maybe another person really was a better fit for the job at this time.

If you didn't actually play that hard to get and tell them "it depends on the salary," and if your current job is unacceptably bad, you should follow up with them. If nothing else, you have a chance at networking with people you wouldn't have met at this place you've been at for five years.

Not trying to play hard to get, the truth is I'm only looking for a higher salary. That's my goal. If what they're talking about is a staff position that pays less than or equal to what I'm currently making, as the staff positions at that company generally do, i'm just not interested. I hope they don't think I wanted that job just because I "like" them lol. I wanted it because I knew how to do everything the job announcement called for and it pays better than my current job. But they did not choose me and now I feel that I can't even get a good job in an area where I have experience. It's as if my experience and credentials mean nothing.

Edited by Redguitar35

Getting a new job is a numbers game. It used to be before computers that you would get interviews for 5% of the jobs you applied for. That number has gone down with the advent of Monster, Indeed, etc.

So for 100 resumes / applications you send out, expect to get 1-2 interviews.

How many applications per day are you sending? You have to view finding a new job as your 2nd job right now. It takes time, effort & patience. Don't give up. Keep plugging away. Do not send any applications from your work computer.

Also network. Make sure people you know outside of work are aware that you are looking for a new job. Attend job fairs. Check job boards at your old schools.

• Like 1
I know the feeling. I spent almost two years applying to anything and everything tangentially related to my area of study. I must have sent out over 200 applications/resumes. I had three interviews. It was extremely discouraging. It sucked.

But in the end the only choices are to give up or keep trying. I think that is an easy choice to make. Keep trying. Keep networking. Keep applying. Keep a positive attitude.

Did you end up getting a decent paying job in your field? Or did you end up having to settle for a menial job (e.g., retail) or returning to school for a different field of study? What are you doing now?

Don’t give up! You can’t get ahead and where you want in life if you give up. I understand your frustration. After I finished my first masters degree, all i could get were several part-time jobs to make ends meet.

Set aside some time each week to solely focus on new job/career (whether it be sending out applications, networking, going to a an event, volunteering, etc.) Get down your elevator pitch, know clearly where you want to go so you can voice your vision to people who can assist you. Make sure you're clearly express your skills on paper and LinkedIn.

You should keep applying to jobs you feel qualified for and even ones you don’t think you’re qualified for. You never know you may get an interview for those as well. I think interviews largely come down to "best fit". Several qualified people are interviewing for the same position. One interviewer may love you but others may click with someone else more. I think the place you interviewed for wasn't blowing smoke up your *** they probably did truly like you.

As far as salary, dude just interview, you can try negotiating for a higher salary within reason in most fields. If nothing else having those offers that you can turn down will at least boost your confidence in your job search. And there is something to be said about having confidence when you walk into an interview.

I highly recommend the book “60 seconds and you’re hired”

Never give up when it comes to your professional life my friend. You have a vision of something more for yourself, dont give up on that!

On the hiring side of things being second can work out. Often times the first pick doesn't work out... gets in and is a flake, or never shows up, or a whole host of other things. Could be that you get called in a month to see if you are still interested in that same job. Don't hold everything off based on that, but it does happen.

• Author
Redguitar35
Getting a new job is a numbers game. It used to be before computers that you would get interviews for 5% of the jobs you applied for. That number has gone down with the advent of Monster, Indeed, etc.

So for 100 resumes / applications you send out, expect to get 1-2 interviews.

How many applications per day are you sending?

I actually don't apply for that many jobs. I only apply for ones that I think closely match my experience and that I think I'm not over or under qualified for, and my interview rate is closer to 50 percent of the jobs I apply for. The problem is this "fit" thing once I get to the interview stage. I don't even know what that means.

If you didn't actually play that hard to get and tell them "it depends on the salary," and if your current job is unacceptably bad, you should follow up with them.

I don't think I owed 'em anymore than what I said there.

I actually don't apply for that many jobs. I only apply for ones that I think closely match my experience and that I think I'm not over or under qualified for, and my interview rate is closer to 50 percent of the jobs I apply for. The problem is this "fit" thing once I get to the interview stage. I don't even know what that means. .

Good for you on the interview rate.

The "fit" has to do with corporate culture. If they are a casual place & you show up in a suit & tie, you don't fit.

On the interpersonal level, finding a good job match is a little like dating. The interviewers have to connect with you on a personal level not just based on your qualifications. They are trying to figure out if they want to spend 8 hours per day 5 days per week with you.

To improve your chance of fitting in, do your research about the company. Talk to anyone you know who works there or may have worked there. Read trade publications about the company. Read blogs by past disgruntled employees. Ask Qs at the interview about their expectations & then explain why you fit the bill. In essence make them like you as a person not just somebody who can get the job done.

I don't think I owed 'em anymore than what I said there.

Oh, sorry. I had the impression you were really miserable at your current job. But if you're not, carry on I guess.

devilish innocent

I think I've been through over 50 interviews during my lifetime. There was just one time I was told the interviewers hoped I would reapply for future openings. That was on a job where I felt I'd interviewed well and was a good match for them. I think if they ask you to reapply it's because you really were a top contender and have a good shot of getting the job next time.

• Author
Redguitar35
Oh, sorry. I had the impression you were really miserable at your current job. But if you're not, carry on I guess.

I wouldn't say where I work now is a bad place to work. Actually I think it's pretty great except for the fact that they are grossly underpaying me (which they've acknowledged). I've been there five years, finished a masters while I was working there, and there are places that are paying twice what I'm making for comparable work and experience. I would ask for a raise, but they really don't have the budget to pay what I should be earning. I feel like they're just taking advantage of me at this point is how I would summarize my feelings about the people I work for.

I don't know what to say other than "Sorry you didn't get the job."

Sometimes they have multiple people that are qualified, and it's going to boil down to some random fact about the person. At times it's basically come down to a coin flip if two people are evenly matched.

Eternal Sunshine

Maybe they could sense that you were just after the salary and not really into the job? No boss wants that. You would probably end up doing the bare minimum to get by.

Fit is extremely important (unless they have no qualified candidates). What that means is that they are picturing you with the team. Do they think your personality and vibe is a natural match? I have been on many interview panels and often it comes down to :"Nah we just don't think it's a match for us"....

There was one aspect that was not a fit : your current salary is too low. When you are underpaid, you need to avoid revealing that to a new employer, as much as possible. You don't want to lie, but you certainly don't want to advertise it.

As for whether they really had a difficult decision to make, yes I think if you've had to hire people, you'd know. And no one really bothers to soften the blow. They are courteous in rejection but other than that, they don't care how you feel.

Also, don't get too chummy at an interview. When it's too conversational, the interviewer gets sidetracked, loses control to the applicant, forgets to focus, then later cannot hire that very nice guy because not all points had a chance to be addressed.

• Author
Redguitar35

**UPDATE**

They actually did get back to me today saying that they had posted another job and asked if I would be interested in applying for it.

It pays considerably less then the original job I had applied for, but still a couple thousand more per year than the current position I have, but it is a low level staff assistant type job which is the same type of work that I've been trying to get out of. I don't want to stay locked in that type of work especially since I finished my Masters. I don't want my resume filled with a bunch of jobs that I didn't want to do.

So I guess it isn't all about money for me, it is also about doing something I would enjoy more.

Additionally I might have to work with the person that I lost the first job to, which would be a potentially toxic situation.

So I think I will probably tell them no thanks and keep looking for other jobs.

Edited by Redguitar35

Did they say if there is opportunity for quick advancement if you did take the job? It's Understandable if you don't want to accept the job if it doesn't provide the opportunities that you're searching for.

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
Did they say if there is opportunity for quick advancement if you did take the job? It's Understandable if you don't want to accept the job if it doesn't provide the opportunities that you're searching for.

No, I don't sense any advancement opportunity. It's basically a "helper" type job. I'd just be helping other members of the staff with whatever their little projects are. I do that kind of running errands for people already, and don't really want to do that anymore. When I was working on my masters part of what kept me going was saying there will be no more jobs with "administrative" and "support" in the job description after this.

Edited by Redguitar35

Having sat on and seen both sides of the hiring table. It sounds like they genuinely wanted to hire you but for reasons unknown to you at this point in time another candidate had an edge. Sounds like your a very close second or a joint first if they want you to apply for another position I'd almost take that as your getting hired on the second run. I'd hang in there, keep applying and see what shakes out.

Networking is always hugely beneficial when job hunting. I'm always networking, publishing papers where I can, presenting as and when I can and attending industry conferences and seminars where possible. It has a few times in the past lead to job offers and it always opens options for advancement.

• Like 1
No, I don't sense any advancement opportunity. It's basically a "helper" type job. I'd just be helping other members of the staff with whatever their little projects are. I do that kind of running errands for people already, and don't really want to do that anymore. When I was working on my masters part of what kept me going was saying there will be no more jobs with "administrative" and "support" in the job description after this.

Hmm I think I would at least interview (if you can afford the time off) and ask directly if there is room for advancement, while also reiterating the skills you picked up while working on your masters. If the person doesn't work out for the job you originally applied for, you may be next in line. A lot of companies are required to hire internally first.

Keep your head up and keep searching man. For what it's worth I've been where you are after my first masters degree. I was desperate for work and took a job as an EMT for a while (something a HS grad could do). I'm glad you're working currently and have time to find the right fit.

I think you're making the right decision not to take the lesser position, as you're doing the right thing to be looking for higher pay. I don't know your field, but for my field, you're as good as you think you are. I would go to my company and tell them I am looking elsewhere because I'm underpaid here. Not your problem they don't have money to pay you more. You're not in the charity business.

Don't settle for less. If you do, people think you're just not good enough. You know, people assume a high priced item must be a high end product. Because that makes sense to people.

Doesn't matter you didn't get this job, there are others. Important thing is you are now making changes for the better.

• Like 1
Mr Scorpio
Did you end up getting a decent paying job in your field? Or did you end up having to settle for a menial job (e.g., retail) or returning to school for a different field of study? What are you doing now?

I eventually got a denial-letter stating that I was overqualified. That was the last straw. I said "I'll show you overqualified" and proceeded to get a law degree. I then got an interview and a job w/ the first company that I applied to. I'm a big fish in a medium pond that has a lot of opportunity for advancement. I have no reason to believe I would have even gotten a callback (much less an interview) without standing out by virtue of my education.