LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Tired of interviewing and getting no offers

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree78Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2017, 10:45 AM   #16

I don't know what to say other than "Sorry you didn't get the job."

Sometimes they have multiple people that are qualified, and it's going to boil down to some random fact about the person. At times it's basically come down to a coin flip if two people are evenly matched.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Established Member

Maybe they could sense that you were just after the salary and not really into the job? No boss wants that. You would probably end up doing the bare minimum to get by.

Fit is extremely important (unless they have no qualified candidates). What that means is that they are picturing you with the team. Do they think your personality and vibe is a natural match? I have been on many interview panels and often it comes down to :"Nah we just don't think it's a match for us"....
Old 2nd June 2017, 7:39 PM   #18
Established Member

There was one aspect that was not a fit : your current salary is too low. When you are underpaid, you need to avoid revealing that to a new employer, as much as possible. You don't want to lie, but you certainly don't want to advertise it.
As for whether they really had a difficult decision to make, yes I think if you've had to hire people, you'd know. And no one really bothers to soften the blow. They are courteous in rejection but other than that, they don't care how you feel.
Also, don't get too chummy at an interview. When it's too conversational, the interviewer gets sidetracked, loses control to the applicant, forgets to focus, then later cannot hire that very nice guy because not all points had a chance to be addressed.
Old 2nd June 2017, 8:16 PM   #19
Established Member

**UPDATE**

They actually did get back to me today saying that they had posted another job and asked if I would be interested in applying for it.

It pays considerably less then the original job I had applied for, but still a couple thousand more per year than the current position I have, but it is a low level staff assistant type job which is the same type of work that I've been trying to get out of. I don't want to stay locked in that type of work especially since I finished my Masters. I don't want my resume filled with a bunch of jobs that I didn't want to do.

So I guess it isn't all about money for me, it is also about doing something I would enjoy more.

Additionally I might have to work with the person that I lost the first job to, which would be a potentially toxic situation.

So I think I will probably tell them no thanks and keep looking for other jobs.

Last edited by Redguitar35; 2nd June 2017 at 8:24 PM..
Old 2nd June 2017, 8:31 PM   #20
Established Member

Did they say if there is opportunity for quick advancement if you did take the job? It's Understandable if you don't want to accept the job if it doesn't provide the opportunities that you're searching for.
Old 2nd June 2017, 9:11 PM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillys View Post
Did they say if there is opportunity for quick advancement if you did take the job? It's Understandable if you don't want to accept the job if it doesn't provide the opportunities that you're searching for.
No, I don't sense any advancement opportunity. It's basically a "helper" type job. I'd just be helping other members of the staff with whatever their little projects are. I do that kind of running errands for people already, and don't really want to do that anymore. When I was working on my masters part of what kept me going was saying there will be no more jobs with "administrative" and "support" in the job description after this.

Last edited by Redguitar35; 2nd June 2017 at 9:13 PM..
Old 3rd June 2017, 9:20 AM   #22
Established Member

Having sat on and seen both sides of the hiring table. It sounds like they genuinely wanted to hire you but for reasons unknown to you at this point in time another candidate had an edge. Sounds like your a very close second or a joint first if they want you to apply for another position I'd almost take that as your getting hired on the second run. I'd hang in there, keep applying and see what shakes out.

Networking is always hugely beneficial when job hunting. I'm always networking, publishing papers where I can, presenting as and when I can and attending industry conferences and seminars where possible. It has a few times in the past lead to job offers and it always opens options for advancement.
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:54 AM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguitar35 View Post
No, I don't sense any advancement opportunity. It's basically a "helper" type job. I'd just be helping other members of the staff with whatever their little projects are. I do that kind of running errands for people already, and don't really want to do that anymore. When I was working on my masters part of what kept me going was saying there will be no more jobs with "administrative" and "support" in the job description after this.
Hmm I think I would at least interview (if you can afford the time off) and ask directly if there is room for advancement, while also reiterating the skills you picked up while working on your masters. If the person doesn't work out for the job you originally applied for, you may be next in line. A lot of companies are required to hire internally first.

Keep your head up and keep searching man. For what it's worth I've been where you are after my first masters degree. I was desperate for work and took a job as an EMT for a while (something a HS grad could do). I'm glad you're working currently and have time to find the right fit.
Old 3rd June 2017, 2:13 PM   #24
Established Member

I think you're making the right decision not to take the lesser position, as you're doing the right thing to be looking for higher pay. I don't know your field, but for my field, you're as good as you think you are. I would go to my company and tell them I am looking elsewhere because I'm underpaid here. Not your problem they don't have money to pay you more. You're not in the charity business.
Don't settle for less. If you do, people think you're just not good enough. You know, people assume a high priced item must be a high end product. Because that makes sense to people.
Doesn't matter you didn't get this job, there are others. Important thing is you are now making changes for the better.
Old 3rd June 2017, 3:03 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilantro View Post
Did you end up getting a decent paying job in your field? Or did you end up having to settle for a menial job (e.g., retail) or returning to school for a different field of study? What are you doing now?
I eventually got a denial-letter stating that I was overqualified. That was the last straw. I said "I'll show you overqualified" and proceeded to get a law degree. I then got an interview and a job w/ the first company that I applied to. I'm a big fish in a medium pond that has a lot of opportunity for advancement. I have no reason to believe I would have even gotten a callback (much less an interview) without standing out by virtue of my education.
Old 3rd June 2017, 4:03 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie4 View Post
I think you're making the right decision not to take the lesser position, as you're doing the right thing to be looking for higher pay. I don't know your field, but for my field, you're as good as you think you are. I would go to my company and tell them I am looking elsewhere because I'm underpaid here. Not your problem they don't have money to pay you more. You're not in the charity business.
Don't settle for less. If you do, people think you're just not good enough. You know, people assume a high priced item must be a high end product. Because that makes sense to people.
Doesn't matter you didn't get this job, there are others. Important thing is you are now making changes for the better.
Thanks, I did email them back saying I wish them best of luck finding a more suitable candidate.
Old 3rd June 2017, 9:28 PM   #27

Yeah, it's really hard. Some jobs are just very highly competitive, and there are times it just comes super close, only to just miss it and be #2.

The best way you can move forward is to look back at your resume and move your best skills up front. Also, persistence is your best friend. Never give up, keep applying. It will come!

Hope you land on a job soon!
Old 5th June 2017, 8:49 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Im really underpaid and basically live paycheck to paycheck. I've been in my current position about five years and have been struggling trying to find something that pays better than the job I have now.
I'd argue if you've been searching for 5 years for the something that pays better and haven't found it, that you probably aren't that underpaid. You are probably getting paid exactly right.

If you went to graduate school and are living paycheque to paycheque something clearly went sideways along the way. Are you in the wrong career path?
Old 5th June 2017, 12:17 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerRoland View Post
I'd argue if you've been searching for 5 years for the something that pays better and haven't found it, that you probably aren't that underpaid. You are probably getting paid exactly right.

If you went to graduate school and are living paycheque to paycheque something clearly went sideways along the way. Are you in the wrong career path?
Nope.

I was working on my graduate degree taking night classes while I've been working this job and only finished last month. I didn't start looking for new opportunities until after I finished, and hadn't interviewed for anything in that five years.

Frankly, I was underpaid before I finished my graduate degree, and everybody on the staff views what I make relative to the work I do and education I have as scandalous . Like I said in my first post, this job I didn't get was one where Id be doing the exact same duties at the same company (different branch) for $20k more a year. That's evidence enough without the masters degree that these folks are getting a discount.

Last edited by Redguitar35; 5th June 2017 at 12:21 PM..
Old 6th June 2017, 4:48 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Like I said in my first post, this job I didn't get was one where Id be doing the exact same duties at the same company (different branch) for $20k more a year.
This was not clear from your original post. So of course this same company would not hire you for this other position, because they already have you working for them for cheap. Sorry, I wouldn't hire/transfer you either. They probably already knew they won't hire you before the interview. You're an internal applicant. They had to interview you.
Closed Thread