Still learning to be an adult

the_lost_1

Hi so despite being 29 and having never had a girlfriend, I'm imagining a scenario where gf's parents may be asking what I do for living. Obviously I want to make a good impression, and I'm still searching a professional work.

I've recently graduated in business administration, specifically in supply chain management. I think market is really tough where I live and I don't want to be working low-tier jobs like retail.

So I'm wondering, any advice? I'm also hard of hearing (so I struggled a lot with education and schools) so I'm hoping to be a valuable asset to a professional firm.

Thanks in advance.

Stop projecting.

Just put everything you have got into finding a job. Send out at least 5 resumes per day. Network. Be on every job site out there. Be all over the placement office where you graduated to chase leads. Go to job fairs.

For now volunteer somewhere that gives you resume building skills so potential employers know you are serious.

Happy hunting.

• Like 1
  • Author
the_lost_1
Stop projecting.

Just put everything you have got into finding a job. Send out at least 5 resumes per day. Network. Be on every job site out there. Be all over the placement office where you graduated to chase leads. Go to job fairs.

For now volunteer somewhere that gives you resume building skills so potential employers know you are serious.

Happy hunting.

I have linkedin but don't have a picture though, i don't know if linkedin is worth it anyway

Linked In is not networking.

I want you to go to MeetUp groups. I want you to attend Industry events. I want you to go to in person job fairs, hand somebody your paper resume (on nice paper at least 25% cotton fiber -- the people at Staples will help you). Shake somebody's hand. Look them in eye.

So many people your age can't do any of the above. When you learn those arts you will be head & shoulder above your peers.

• Like 1
  • Author
the_lost_1

I see, thanks. Well i just applied online to volunteer in a homeless shelter so hopefully that counts for something

Why not focus on getting the job first? Solves this problem, plus then you have money to go out on dates?

• Author
the_lost_1

I'm looking for job as well of course. I'm hoping to get some work experience especially relating to administration, they have that.

• Author
the_lost_1

I also have a question, how do you find someone that believes in you and supports you? That is the hardest part of all.

• Author
the_lost_1

Being hard of hearing, my mind would be often clouded and confused. It's a terrible experience especially for a human being, it's a torture.

Don't worry about it though.....I am OK.

There's no reason you'd end up in retail although any job you get may well have retail store to supply. You'll end up in a warehouse or an office attached to one most likely.

I also have a question, how do you find someone that believes in you and supports you? That is the hardest part of all.

It starts with the ability to believe in yourself and support yourself. A girlfriend will see that you've got it all together and she will believe in you too.

Thing is, if you don't believe in yourself, why should anyone else believe in you?

• Like 1

You look in the mirror.

You have to believe in yourself. Nobody else can do it for you.

• Like 1

I've always been motivated more by being challenged, myself. Someone telling me that I can't do something is more useful to me than someone telling me that I can.

Ironically, I find the latter more difficult. Strange world, isn't it? Probably something to do with when we were kids or something like that.

• Like 1

Have you sought assistance through career services at your school?

Since you just graduated, you need to strike while the iron is hot. Finding a job in your field should be your top priority. You should be networking, researching, and sending out multiple resumes every day.

IndigoNight

While getting a job in your field would be ideal, there is nothing wrong with getting a lower-tiered job until something better comes along. I have always told my kids (18 & 24) any job is better than no job at all. Even working in a fast food restaurant teaches job skills (money management, social interactions, etc.) Many of their friends are unemployed because the "right" job has not been offered to them. They do not seem to grasp that you do whatever it takes to pay the bills, even if it is mopping floors and taking out trash.

Does the college you attended offer any help with job placement? Have you checked into job fairs in your area? Do you know anyone that works in your field that can guide you?

Good luck on your job search.