Am I settling?

devilish innocent

The work I'm spending most of my day on isn't the work I was originally hired to do. I don't mind pick up some additional work to help others. The problem is that I no longer had time to do the work I was hired for. I point this out to my superiors. They take the work I was originally doing away from me. I tell them the work I originally did is the work that I love to do. They give some of it back but leave me no time to do it. I try to have a discussion to let my supervisor know I'm unhappy. He says he'll talk to his superior, then comes back and says they won't change anything for me. Then they ask me to pick up even more of the work I dislike doing.

I used to love my job. I really thought it was the job I would be doing for the rest of my life. But the work they expect me to do now leaves me tired and listless. I should leave, shouldn't I? Except for this one major issue, my superiors really are great which makes me question myself.

Edited by devilish innocent
  • 1 month later...
AHopelessRomantic

You should feel fulfilled before you worry about anyone else being happy. They do not care about you. You need to find a way to get your wok back or else you need to take a risk and find something better for yourself.

There are great supervisors EVERYWHERE. Better than they are. Would you rather be steadily depressed or just grow the balls to try something new?

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely have a talk with your boss and express exactly as you did here that you are contemplating quiting because you love your old task and hate the new one.

What you should do is try to sit down with HR or the people who hired you. Explain to them that you're taking on extra work outside of what you were hired to do. You're more than happy to do additional task with more compensation.

It doesn't sound like the type of company that would take advantage of the offer. Thank them for their time and start looking for a new job. At least you can pay the bills in the meantime.