Not sure what the next step is in my career

MajesticUnicorn

Hey all, I was hoping to get some advice from some of you more seasoned professionals. I know this is more geared towards relationships at work, but I figured this was a good a place as any to get some opinions on how to proceed with my professional career.

I graduated from college a year ago with a degree in marketing/communications, minor in graphic design. I interned at this ad agency throughout college and accepted a full time job as a graphic designer there when I graduated. While this wasn't my major, I have found that it is what I am truly passionate about. I love the company I work for, I love the people, I love what I get to do everyday, but I don't love the location.

I am still living in the same college town where I was born and have spent the past 22 years. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place, but I have been itching to get out since I graduated high school. Now as I am trying to develop a friend group of young professionals and trying to date, I'm realizing how hard it is to find that in a place that is heavily dominated by college students. I know it IS possible, it's just hard when I see all of my old friends and former classmates living it up in big cities with like minded individuals.

My original goal was to move after spending a year working full time with this agency, I would start to look for a new job in a different location. Well, my immediate higher-up is going on maternity leave so I committed to staying at least till the end of August. I will take over a lot of her work while she is gone

We have an incentive trip planned for January, which is essentially where you will set goals for yourself for the year, if you meet them, you get to go on this awesome trip free of charge. Well, I met with two of my bosses to discuss the trip (since they don't know how long I'm staying) as well as setting goals.

They told me they want to know what my timeline is and how long I'm planning to stay...they said they want to give me a lot more responsibilities and opportunities, but not if I am only going to be staying till the end of summer.

So now I am at a crossroads. I don't know whether to commit to stay or to just wing it and start looking elsewhere. As I said I LOVE my job and the company, and they really want to help me grow and succeed which I know you don't find everywhere. The other thing that is telling me maybe I should stay is that almost all of the design jobs I have come by (which are few and far between) want you to have at least 3 years experience.

Any advice?

GunslingerRoland
Now as I am trying to develop a friend group of young professionals and trying to date, I'm realizing how hard it is to find that in a place that is heavily dominated by college students. I know it IS possible, it's just hard when I see all of my old friends and former classmates living it up in big cities with like minded individuals.

The grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure all of your friends live in some utopia where it's big mixer of perfect single people, but the reality is that dating in most cities doesn't differ that much from any other city. And if you are only one year removed from school yourself, a college town doesn't sound like the worst place to be for dating. Would it really be that horrible to meet someone who is graduating next month, or next year?

If you really want to move, make sure you have a job in place first. It doesn't hurt to submit applications to places where you are interested and see if you get any bites. If not,you'll know you need to stick it out and gain a bit more experience first. And it sounds like you are in a great situation where you are appreciated and moving up the ladder quickly.

• Like 1
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn
The grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure all of your friends live in some utopia where it's big mixer of perfect single people, but the reality is that dating in most cities doesn't differ that much from any other city. And if you are only one year removed from school yourself, a college town doesn't sound like the worst place to be for dating. Would it really be that horrible to meet someone who is graduating next month, or next year?

If you really want to move, make sure you have a job in place first. It doesn't hurt to submit applications to places where you are interested and see if you get any bites. If not,you'll know you need to stick it out and gain a bit more experience first. And it sounds like you are in a great situation where you are appreciated and moving up the ladder quickly.

Yeah I was kind of realizing that as I typed this all out...it is definitely a "grass is greener," type of situation for me.

I am not opposed to dating those in college who are graduating soon, I think the problem I'm running into time and time again is that they are all still in the college phase of wanting to hook up. Time and time again it seems like all of the prospects I find either aren't wanting a relationship or they are planning to move away, while I just feel stuck.

Before I committed to staying till August, I sent out probably 20-30 resumes in one city I wanted to live in, and no bites. So I think my gut instinct is I have a good job here, I should just tough it up while I get this experience.

Tell them you plan to stay until you are offered something more challenging, engaging and rewarding - that puts the onus on them to keep you. Don't reveal your timelines to them - they might limit opportunity if they know too much. If you enjoy the work and the people, then commit to yourself to stay for 3 years but keep yourself abreast of opportunities and research places you'd like to live/work. You will have far more to offer, and talk about, to potential employers if you stay and take on responsibility at your current place.

Bigger cities can be lonely places too - more people doesn't mean more dating!

• Like 1
d0nnivain

Don't give them a time table even if you are thinking about one. Talk to them about how much you want more responsibility & to grow in the business. they certainly aren't going to commit to keeping you employed for a certain amount of time.

Do what you need to do to set parameters for this incentive trip but keep polishing the old resume & deepening the depth & breath of your knowledge.

Next spring when you get back & have about 2 years under your belt start seriously looking around.

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland
Don't give them a time table even if you are thinking about one. Talk to them about how much you want more responsibility & to grow in the business. they certainly aren't going to commit to keeping you employed for a certain amount of time.

This, 2 weeks notice is all you are really required to give. Sometimes it's nice to give a few more weeks if you can, but really you're in an entry level position, so it's not like they need to prepare your successor or anything. A couple of weeks is very reasonable. If they ask if you're staying, say yes. If things change don't feel guilty about it.

As for the dating thing, sure there are a lot of college guys just wanting to hook up, but you can say the same about guys in the workforce too. You're still going to need to do your diligence to find guys that want something more serious. Especially if they are in their early 20's.

• Like 1
  • Author
MajesticUnicorn
Tell them you plan to stay until you are offered something more challenging, engaging and rewarding - that puts the onus on them to keep you. Don't reveal your timelines to them - they might limit opportunity if they know too much. If you enjoy the work and the people, then commit to yourself to stay for 3 years but keep yourself abreast of opportunities and research places you'd like to live/work. You will have far more to offer, and talk about, to potential employers if you stay and take on responsibility at your current place.

Bigger cities can be lonely places too - more people doesn't mean more dating!

Thank you! I think I am going to write an email to them saying something along these lines today. It really does help just to get some outside opinions. It's been eating me up inside because I just want to get out (I've lived here my entire life) but I know opportunities like this can be few and far between so I am going to stick with it.

I think the best thing for me to do anyway is to just focus on my career for now, and if I meet someone, it happens, that shouldn't be the entire reason I want to leave.

Do what you need to do to set parameters for this incentive trip but keep polishing the old resume & deepening the depth & breath of your knowledge.

Next spring when you get back & have about 2 years under your belt start seriously looking around.

So technically I started as a "graphic designer" in December, just wasn't full time until May - so next May will be closer to 2.5 years which should hopefully help me when I start looking elsewhere.

I'm just gonna try to absorb everything I can while I am here.

This, 2 weeks notice is all you are really required to give. Sometimes it's nice to give a few more weeks if you can, but really you're in an entry level position, so it's not like they need to prepare your successor or anything. A couple of weeks is very reasonable. If they ask if you're staying, say yes. If things change don't feel guilty about it.

As for the dating thing, sure there are a lot of college guys just wanting to hook up, but you can say the same about guys in the workforce too. You're still going to need to do your diligence to find guys that want something more serious. Especially if they are in their early 20's.

Right. I think my mindset for now is I am going to stick with it and accept these new responsibilities they give me, do everything I can do expand my wealth of knowledge, but if an amazing opportunity comes up I shouldn't feel guilty looking into it.

That's what I've found trying to date, guys in my age group aren't really interested in commitment, at least not the ones I am finding. It's hard because I see others my age already engaged and whatnot, but I know I shouldn't be in a rush. I almost feel like I need to take a dating hiatus.

• Like 1