Nervous to start new job?

this will be the second time in my life ive changes jobs (only 22)

i was at this place for 2 and a half years. i just got a new job out of college which i am happy about, but i am afraid of the change. i am a little bit sad too about leaving my current job because i will miss the familiarity of the environment and the people, even though i knew this wasn't a forever job and there were many complaints. how do i get over the change and better adjust to the new atmosphere?

Accept that there's going to be a learning curve and that you will make mistakes. Learn from those mistakes and don't be too hard on yourself. Also accept that there is going to be added stress being the new one.

Put your best foot forward until you establish yourself as a hard worker. You want to make a good first impression on everybody.

Be friendly with your new coworkers but don't get too personal. Dress well at first until you get a feeling for how stuffy or informal the place is.

Give it six months at the very least and then you can re-evaluate if you want to stay or start looking for something else.

• Like 1
ChanSummary

It's a natural feeling when you have fear. Look you are getting matured and things changed as time passed and you have to face the reality. You might have fear who are your workmates or you Boss. Is he a terror boss or a soft spoken and polite kind of Boss. Whoever they are, you will learn from them and you job is your second home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I'm really worried about my new job! I'm in week 2 of training and it is technical support for a major technology company. I never did that kind of job before, but the training is informative enough and there are plenty of resources. What I am worried about is my communication skills and phone skills. Whenever I am talking to a stranger (if it isn't casual conversation) my mind seems to go blank. I am really worried I will fail miserably at this job, but I am trying so hard to stay positive and tell myself I will do great. I have trouble with thinking on my feet and sounding normal and making sense. How do I get over the fear of not doing well after training and things I can do to improve my communication skills? :( Thanks.

I started a new career this year as well and recently just got released from my training. I too still have some fear but during my training I made sure to make contacts with people that I could turn to if I ever had a question. I'm in the medical field so I made friends with the other new docs and asked if I could text them if I ever had a question. I also still study for work, much like I would for school....as far as communicating on the phone, perhaps try having a note pad in front of you while you're on the phone so you can jot down notes. When I have to call a patient's family, I sometimes make notes of points I need to get across and answers to questions I think the family might ask.

As far as communicating in person, pretend it's a causal conversation and that you're there to make the other person feel comfortable and to help them. You'll come off as very personable and natural. I've found the most loved docs at my clinic are extremely humble and talk to every patient like they're family. Their conversation style makes everyone feel comfortable.

Everyone feels nervous when trying something new. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it and we'll fake it til you make it. I'm sure you're doing great?