Co -worker always inviting me to her church,was my response rude?

My co worker that I'm friendly with would always invite me to her church and church related activities. She got really pushy and told me not to disappoint God...that it is for my own good.I*never had any interest until one day I decided to just see how it is like since my other co worker who also attended the same church has recommended I attend their church. They all promised that I will enjoy it

This was a big mistake because she started expecting to start attending her church as she would constantly invite me.I had no intention of going back,so I always had excuses such as work etc.I was hoping she would drop it but she is always sending me a reminder* to attend church every Sunday and church related functions.Today I decided that I should be straight with her so I sent a message that reads

"Hey,To tell you the truth I'm not a church person at all.I only came with you that one time*just to see how it is and I had nothing to do so I figure out why not.Needlessly to say,I was bored out of my mind the whole service .I have zero interest in church. I never had any intentions of going regularly. If it was something I was truly interested in, I would already been going on my own or at least volunteer to come along .You wouldn't have to drag me or keep reminding me.I'm a grown women who can make her own choices you know. Please don't invite me to church anymore.thanks

I hope I wasn't rude* but I wanted the invitations to stop.We're *friendly towards one another at work and I hope this won't cause tension between us

Well, you weren't subtle, but then she was very pushy trying to recruit you, so you pushed back with what it takes to hopefully make her stop. And you were honest. She will be offended, but she would have been offended no matter what if you weren't going as she prescribed you go.

You'd disappoint God? bahaha. All I can say is that you handled this far more politely than I would have.

• Like 1

First of all, this type of behavior in the work place is pretty taboo. I don't know where you live. It could be that almost everyone in the company and pretty much the whole community is involved in this religion, in which case, you really shot yourself in the foot with that email, but in general terms, being harassed at work and recruiting to religion is a no-no (don't disappoint God?), along with discussing politics, money, and sex.

Your email was harsh and less than professional. I think a simple, "Thank you for your invitation. I am not interested in attending further," is doable. Possibly add, "It was a lovely service, but I have my own religious beliefs."

(This "belief" could be sofa surfing on Sunday or chewing on kittens, you heathen :), but don't say that.)

You probably did create tension with that email.

Continued harassment might need to be taken up with HR. This is not cool.

• Like 1

I agree that the wording of your e-mail could have used some polish but her behavior crossed a number of boundaries so hopefully she simply backs off now.