New job question

SunnySide0418

I just started a new job Monday. When do you think it's ok to put a picture of my kids at my desk? I don't know why but it feels weird or improper to do it so soon. Thoughts?

I just started a new job Monday. When do you think it's ok to put a picture of my kids at my desk? I don't know why but it feels weird or improper to do it so soon. Thoughts?

Whenever you want to. You're employed within that particular vicinity, therefore it is of your own convenience to feel comfortable and situated within the workplace.

A lot of my colleagues and team have pictures (framed) of their significant others and children on and in their desks/offices, most have been there for years whilst some are still relatively new.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I would, if I had kids.

Today! Any place that frowns on that is a place you don't want to be.

Once you complete probation

• Like 2

I have had about 8 different jobs and I would bring the box from my last job in and put all the stuff on my new desk or in my new office. When I had offices I would hang up my license, awards and anything else that could be hung on a wall. My desk had a radio, picture of my wife and whatever stuff I had on my desk in my last job. I do not know why you would find it weird. It is your desk and pictures of the family are pretty standard stuff. Go ahead as there is no reason why you cannot unless your company has a policy against it. I did work for one company with a very strict boss who did not allow personal items on the desk because some employees took advantage of that.

• Author
SunnySide0418
I have had about 8 different jobs and I would bring the box from my last job in and put all the stuff on my new desk or in my new office. When I had offices I would hang up my license, awards and anything else that could be hung on a wall. My desk had a radio, picture of my wife and whatever stuff I had on my desk in my last job. I do not know why you would find it weird. It is your desk and pictures of the family are pretty standard stuff. Go ahead as there is no reason why you cannot unless your company has a policy against it. I did work for one company with a very strict boss who did not allow personal items on the desk because some employees took advantage of that.

I wad just thinking maybe it's too soon since I've been there a week. I just want to put one picture of my kids.

• Author
SunnySide0418
Once you complete probation

I'm not aware I'm on any probationary time frame. I'm training to learn the job. I'm not temping.

I'm not aware I'm on any probationary time frame. I'm training to learn the job. I'm not temping.

I thought every job has a probationary period until health insurance kick in which is normally 90 days. So normally you can't call out or be late during the first 90 or 180 days.

• Author
SunnySide0418
I thought every job has a probationary period until health insurance kick in which is normally 90 days. So normally you can't call out or be late during the first 90 or 180 days.

I started Jan 30 ins kicked in feb 1st.

So no one said anything about a probationary period?

What the hell's a probationary period got to do with putting up some pictures within your own personal workplace? regardless of new employment with the company/organisation or not?

What the hell's a probationary period got to do with putting up some pictures within your own personal workplace? regardless of new employment with the company/organisation or not?

Because once the probationary comes to an end, that's when they decide if they want to keep you based on

how often you called out

how often you was late

your work performance

Because once the probationary comes to an end, that's when they decide if they want to keep you based on

how often you called out

how often you was late

your work performance

That almost serves no relevance to why putting pictures up on a desk would be considered or perceived as 'improper' or not.

Probation is based on work performance as you stated, therefore anything work related. Not by what is of your own personal convenience

That almost serves no relevance to why putting pictures up on a desk would be considered or perceived as 'improper' or not.

Probation is based on work performance as you stated, therefore anything work related. Not by what is of your own personal convenience

Well if someone puts the pics up and don't complete the probation then they will have to take them down.

That's just my opinion. For me, I would prefer to wait until I am officially hired before posting pics. It also has to do with your personality and how you work with others.

• Like 1

I have my daughter's pictures as both my desktop background and framed on the desk. Pretty sure they went up the first week I started too.

I can't see the issue, it does not affect performance and it's not improper. The only thing that's kinda ''negative'' about it, it invites your co-workers and boss into your private life and they will inevitably ask questions. Annoying, but I couldn't go without having at least one picture of her with me.

• Author
SunnySide0418
So no one said anything about a probationary period?

No. I'm hired. Benefits kicked in right away and everything. Never heard of a probationary period unless it's a temp to hire position which this is not.