LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

So apparently this is not unusual at the workplace

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2017, 8:16 PM   #16

4Kad, I know what you mean and I have been guilty of the same. I have been so deep in my thoughts that I literally won't notice people walking by, especially during stressful times at work. I guess it depends on the mood and a particular situation. Most people at my workplace would at least smile while walking by.
Old 17th February 2017, 8:18 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood1 View Post
4Kad, I know what you mean and I have been guilty of the same. I have been so deep in my thoughts that I literally won't notice people walking by, especially during stressful times at work. I guess it depends on the mood and a particular situation. Most people at my workplace would at least smile while walking by.
I have had people chat with me when I was around other people and then walk past me without saying a word the next day lol
Old 17th February 2017, 9:01 PM   #18

I am sorry 4Kad. Just ignore it I would say hi sometimes and hear no response back. I just assume that didn't hear me lol
Old 17th February 2017, 9:17 PM   #19
Established Member

I used to work in a large building with over 200 employees. A vast majority of them I didn't even know at all. I remember this one woman was super pissed at me because she said hello to me one morning while I was on my way to my space and all I did was smile in return. I really didn't get why she was so mad at me. I was painfully shy at the time, it was early morning and I am not a morning person and I had absolutely no clue who she was. She was a perfect stranger to me. She thought I was very rude and made a point of complaining about it to anyone who would listen.

To me, that woman was just a stranger on the street to me. How dare she demand that I speak to her.

My point is... if you don't work directly together and they have no idea who you are then not speaking is really not all that unusual.

I find that it also depends on where you live and what the culture is of that place. Where I grew up, strangers are not greeted like that. Where I was working at the time of the above incident it is more the norm. People tend to be more friendly to strangers there than where I grew up. For me, it was weird that she was greeting me like that. For her it was the norm and I was being rude for just smiling and not talking back to her.
Old 17th February 2017, 9:25 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena View Post
I used to work in a large building with over 200 employees. A vast majority of them I didn't even know at all. I remember this one woman was super pissed at me because she said hello to me one morning while I was on my way to my space and all I did was smile in return. I really didn't get why she was so mad at me. I was painfully shy at the time, it was early morning and I am not a morning person and I had absolutely no clue who she was. She was a perfect stranger to me. She thought I was very rude and made a point of complaining about it to anyone who would listen.

To me, that woman was just a stranger on the street to me. How dare she demand that I speak to her.

My point is... if you don't work directly together and they have no idea who you are then not speaking is really not all that unusual.

I find that it also depends on where you live and what the culture is of that place. Where I grew up, strangers are not greeted like that. Where I was working at the time of the above incident it is more the norm. People tend to be more friendly to strangers there than where I grew up. For me, it was weird that she was greeting me like that. For her it was the norm and I was being rude for just smiling and not talking back to her.

I would accept it more in a company that size versus my staff of 60 people
Old 17th February 2017, 9:35 PM   #21
Established Member

Where I work now probably has a little less than 60 people working there... most of us know each other in at least some capacity. Not everyone greets others in passing here either. Again though, it's not the expected norm here. People often just smile at each other rather than speak. Some don't even look up when passing. Most do smile, laugh, make a comment, say hello or good morning or ask to talk about something specific. There are specific people that never speak at all to me when we pass each other. I don't take offense to it. To be honest, I don't think I even thought about it until reading this post.