LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

So apparently this is not unusual at the workplace

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2017, 2:29 PM   #1
Established Member

So apparently this is not unusual at the workplace

I have experienced walking down the hall toward a coworker in another department and they will walk right past me and not speak. So I asked a couple if relatives if they experienced the same thing and they said all the time. Lol

I even asked a friend and it happens at her job. So I am surprised a coworker who you don't deal with directly would just walk past you in the hall way like you are a stranger in the street.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 26th January 2017, 2:46 PM   #2
Established Member

I work in a building with 100's of coworkers. I walk buy many of them multiple times a day. I don't greet every single one of them every time I pass them. Totally normal.

If it's someone I am specifically friends with I usually will, but again it depends on if it's first time I've walked by them that day or the 35th.
Old 26th January 2017, 2:51 PM   #3

Totally normal in bigger organisations. In fact the only places I've worked where that's not been the case was in workplaces with fewer than 10-20 employees.
basil67 likes this.
Old 26th January 2017, 4:15 PM   #4
Established Member

Even in a small office, you don't greet each other every time you pass. Too cumbersome. It's not a meet n greet. That said, when you do speak, it's your job to be polite. But in the workplace, you don't have to just randomly talk to each other.
Old 26th January 2017, 4:18 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preraph View Post
Even in a small office, you don't greet each other every time you pass. Too cumbersome. It's not a meet n greet. That said, when you do speak, it's your job to be polite. But in the workplace, you don't have to just randomly talk to each other.
No not all day. I'm talking about in the morning or if you just saw the person for the first time.
Old 26th January 2017, 5:09 PM   #6
Established Member

Not at all unusual.
Old 26th January 2017, 5:58 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kad View Post
No not all day. I'm talking about in the morning or if you just saw the person for the first time.
I would say every workplace has its own customs. it's best to follow them in case you later find out the boss doesn't like a lot of talking or something like that.
Old 27th January 2017, 1:09 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Maybe that person isn't social in the mornings. Ir maybe they weren't paying attention, didn't see you. Don't take it personally.
Old 27th January 2017, 1:15 PM   #9
Established Member

Where I work, anything beyond "hi(person's name)" is rare.
Old 27th January 2017, 4:12 PM   #10
Established Member

Yes, it's normal. Keep in mind that you didn't speak to this person either. They may be wondering why you didn't say hello first. I've had a few coworkers mention that I never greeted them - but they never greeted me either!
Old 27th January 2017, 4:32 PM   #11
Established Member

It's very common. People are at work and have their jobs and schedules on their mind. They aren't even thinking about you.
Old 27th January 2017, 4:37 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafool View Post
It's very common. People are at work and have their jobs and schedules on their mind. They aren't even thinking about you.
Well starting Monday I'm walking past people in the morning and not even making eye contact.

People who I don't work around
Old 27th January 2017, 7:15 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
Well starting Monday I'm walking past people in the morning and not even making eye contact.

You'd do yourself a big favor if you dropped the attitude and greeted everbody, whether you know them or not. People like that and will remember that, and one day, the memory of your cheerful disposition may pay big dividends.

At worst, you won't be so bitter. Go ahead, who cares if you say Hi first all the time?
Old 27th January 2017, 7:20 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycpa View Post
You'd do yourself a big favor if you dropped the attitude and greeted everbody, whether you know them or not. People like that and will remember that, and one day, the memory of your cheerful disposition may pay big dividends.

At worst, you won't be so bitter. Go ahead, who cares if you say Hi first all the time?
I tried that but certain didn't respond which was very rude.
Old 27th January 2017, 11:17 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:

No don't do that, seems spiteful and petty to just do that because one person didn't acknowledge you when you two passed one another. If you are one to say hi and smile, continue doing that! Don't change who you are! Never know, you could make someone's day a lot brighter especially they're having a crappy day.