Itchy feet at work

Hello all,

I'm seeking some advice. I've recently decided that I'd like to move on from my job. I'll have been doing the job for 2 years come July. It's an enjoyable job and low stress but it's also part-time and I'd like to find something full-time so I can afford my own place and hopefully somewhere like a new town or city. It's the first proper job I've had since graduating and I wanted to do it for enough time to get some good experience and build my confidence in a working environment. I feel like I've grown in confidence and am either at the point or near it where I could take on more of a challenge.

I've been having this itchy feet feeling for a while now even though I've built up connections and activities in my hometown since graduating. If I did leave, it would be bittersweet. But I'm also keen to leave because I hope going somewhere bigger would make it more likely for me to find a husband (to put it bluntly) as well as giving me more to do with my free time. Dating has been stagnant for me for 3 years and I don't fully enjoy it - I ended with a few guys I dated because they were adamant about staying here and I've always had it in my mind to leave at some point). The thought of turning 28 and still having this 'stuck' feeling makes me want to cry to be honest.

The trouble is that it's a bad time to leave. I mean it's all hypothetical but I work in a small team (less than 10) and one of my colleagues is about to go on maternity leave for 1 year. I've been told that I may be given extra hours as maternity cover and that I'll have more work to do as we will be busy in the summer. So part of me feels bad because I'd be leaving them in the lurch if I left when we were busy. I don't think it's the kind of environment where I'd be too vocal about applying to other places (although everyone else who's done my job has stayed for 2-3 years tops).

I'm kind of dreading what I would say if I was offered a job elsewhere but then I don't think it'd be helpful for me to say that I'm thinking of leaving. It's actually not me leaving because of the job at all - it's worrying about my future and wanting to make a better life for myself.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Understand that none of us is indispensable at work. Further, as soon as your company no longer needs you, they will begin steps to let you go.

I would not tell anyone that you're looking for a job. Just look for one quietly. Line up work references who are discreet and can keep a secret. Once you have a new job in hand (offer with an agreed on start date, pay, benefits, etc ironed out, your references and background check done)...Then you can alert your current employer that you're leaving.Two weeks notice is generally sufficient. For senior executives, generally you'll give 3 or 4 weeks notice.

This gives the company time to figure out how they'll manage once you're gone and put a plan in place.

• Like 1

I agree with Angeleyes. Start looking very quietly and don't tell anyone that you're looking. Sounds like you have some spare time at work? Not sure but if you do use that time and apply for other jobs.

My previous job, seemed like a match in heaven when I first got it. I had graduated college and been working part time for about 6 months with no benefits and working on holidays. After doing that I landed in a mixer full time job within the company, well I applied and earned the job not landed. Initially it was great because I was coming from the bottom bottom. I was soooo happy then I started realizing that I was becoming miserable.

I had a lot of spare time and I became obsessed with applying for jobs, I would apply to about 10-15 jobs a day. Some applications required an hour plus. My life became two full time jobs, one was my actual job and then finding another job was my other full time job. I did non stop until I got to where I am now. I have a nice paying job with a lot of spare time, but now I'm looking for something more career oriented.

The point is, you need to look out for YOU. Your company won't hesitate to let you go if they are running out of money one day or whatever, they are also just a step closer to your future but certainly not your future. Apply apply apply and when a catch comes along go for the ride. Not sure where you live but I would def move to a city to meet people on top of the job. I mean I live in NYC and there's tons of people here. I mean a lot of a-holes but I'm sure there's some decent guys around too. Lol not sure but everyone is always saying that they have to go find better guys out of NYC I have no clue LOL

PhillyLibertyBelle

I agree with both of the above. You are just an employee that can be replaced. Use proper business etiquette when you tender your notice and leave a comprehensive transition plan giving appropriate notice period but keep your job search to yourself. Good luck to you.

• Author
I agree with both of the above. You are just an employee that can be replaced. Use proper business etiquette when you tender your notice and leave a comprehensive transition plan giving appropriate notice period but keep your job search to yourself. Good luck to you.

Thanks Everyone. I looked up the notice period in employee guidelines and it's 4 weeks. That's the thing - I'm not even aware of a lot of business etiquette because this is my first proper job. The others were temporary contracts before I got that one. There's only a few of us in the workplace - it's a public facility. The company tend to take a long time replacing people so I don't think they'll replace my colleague until 3-4 months after she's gone.