LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Exit Letter

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 21st April 2005, 5:22 PM   #1
Established Member

Exit Letter

Tomarrow is my last day of work I am going on a VERY LONG maternity leave ( I most likley will not return) I've been here for 7 years on & off, and have left very detailed notes.

Do you think I should write an Exit Letter? If so what should I say?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 5:26 PM   #2
Unconfirmed Account

Depends on what you say. I would not write an exit letter (paper trail) but if I was bitter over something, I might give an exit interview.

The reason people do exit interviews, at least IMHO, is to vent frustration in hopes the company will make changes that will benefit the co-workers you are leaving behind.

If you don't think what you are going to say is going to make much of a difference, don't burn the bridge behind you.
ConfusedInOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 5:47 PM   #3
Established Member

well, by you asking us if you should, i am going to assume that you have been thinking about it........

i would wait a few...days, weeks.. just so you have time to relax, gather some Non-stressed-from-work thoughts about the former employer, then write something.

i ythink it is a nice jesture, especially when you have been there so long and know people who will miss you.

but if you were some slack-off- WHICH I KNOW YOU ARE NOT- then i would not write nothing!
Old 21st April 2005, 6:03 PM   #4

I wrote a real nice exit email to everyone when I left my last job. I wanted to say good-bye to everyone, and I wanted to leave on a good note ---never know when I might need them in the future!
(references)

If you do write a letter, make it general and the only specifics that you mention should be positives and impersonal--unless its something humorous that others will relate to on a positive or funny note--like "I'm going to miss Franks ties" or "remember now everyone, THREE scoops of coffee - not five!"
HokeyReligions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 6:42 PM   #5
Established Member

Make it short and sweet:

"Ladies and Gentlemen.........Stone has left the building, I repeat, Stone has left the building"........
Old 21st April 2005, 7:29 PM   #6
Established Member

They don't know you are not coming back?
Naive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 9:59 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ~Naive~
They don't know you are not coming back?
Because you never know What may happen and it's nice to know I can come back in the FAll but I am over this place of course I won't mention that untill I have another job or go on my own in the fall
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Established Member

I'd wait. I'd just sent a little note saying that you're going on a maternity LOA and you will be seeing them in the fall. Don't give any impression that you're going to be looking/leaving...that way, if nothing pans out, you still have a job after you have the baby.

Congrats again!

~justa~
Old 22nd April 2005, 1:08 PM   #9
Established Member

Don't burn your bridges... you never know when you'll need them to scratch your back. Use discretion and stay within boundaries of political correctness. Professionalism goes a long way.

Last edited by westernxer; 22nd April 2005 at 1:11 PM.. Reason: xtra
westernxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 1:14 PM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imjustagirl
I'd wait. I'd just sent a little note saying that you're going on a maternity LOA and you will be seeing them in the fall. Don't give any impression that you're going to be looking/leaving...that way, if nothing pans out, you still have a job after you have the baby.

I completely agree.
Naive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 1:31 PM   #11
Established Member

I just finished it, and the letter is COMPLETELY impersonal but I did invite the owners to a seminar I will be holding next week, I just said I would be honored if they would attend. the letter basically stated what is going on in the firm, who I've assigned certain tasks to and what people I believe can handle cretin jobs. ect. I did that to Cover my arse, and I really don't want my phone ringing off the hook for the next few weeks. Today is my last day and I am basically overseeing the employees and doing some last minute training. God I am so relieved I am leaving I never want to see another tax season again.