Child-Initiated FB Commerce

LivingWaterPlease

Wasn't sure if this should be in General Relationship Discussion Forum or in Business Forum so posted in both since it's partly business and partly social question. Mods I realize you may delete one of the threads. Apologies if I'm handling this the wrong way.

A couple days ago I got a FB message from a child whose parent I have done business with. I know of the child, but can't recall if I've ever met her.

Child sent me a message (from parent's account) saying,

"Hi ***** (my first name), I'm ******, *****'s daughter. Would you like to buy Girl Scout cookies from me or donate money to send them to the military? Please let me know asap"

I didn't reply right away trying to decide whether I should buy some (am trying to restrict carbs/sweets) or donate.

In less than 24 hours I received another FB message from the child with no salutation or anything saying,

"Do you want some?"

It seems weird to me that a child I don't know would send me a FB message from her mom's FB account addressing me by my first name and then get seemingly impatient with me for not replying asap.

I haven't responded but feel I should since the parent is a business contact of mine that I'd like to do business with in the future. On the other hand it just seems strange for a child I don't know to contact me on her parent's FB account calling me by my first name and soliciting me for a fund raiser.

Would appreciate opinions and replies as to what is appropriate as a reply. I don't want to offend the parent but this is weird to me.

Edited by LivingWaterPlease
  • Author
LivingWaterPlease

Thanks, Carhill, and just tell them I want to place an order or ask if they know their child is using their account? Not sure what to say. Am concerned the parent knows and will think I'm criticizing her for allowing her child to use her account. The parent must know her account has been used as she posts on FB quite a bit.

She's an entrepreneurial kid who has a deadline and under pressure to sell. Yes she could use some lessons in Salesmanship 101. But she's a KID. It's a learning experience for her. I would assume Mom knows she's using her FB account to reach out to her clients, and reply to her message with something like: "Hi Susie, yes I will donate $25 for the military. How should I send you the money? Good luck with your sales drive. -Miss Delphinia" Then the next time you talk to her Mom, mention it and say something neutral but with a smile, like "She was quite persistent. It sounded important to her."

Look at this as a fell-out-of-the-sky opportunity to nurture a good relationship with your client. Not as an invitation to teach a child manners or (worse) criticize Mom's parenting skills. Don't go there if you want to keep her as a client!

• Like 1