How to politely decline?

lilmiscassie92

One of my coworkers has asked me to watch their dog while they go home on holiday for 2-3 weeks. I told her I would think about it and let her know by the end of this week, but I am starting to lean towards a no. I feel bad saying no, but I have my reasons for not wanting to.

First, the dog seems to be having frequent health issues and I get nervous I may need to take him to the vet during the stay. Second, I would need to be at their place for most of the time (overnights too) and I have a pet and place of my own I need to watch (I wouldn't trust the two animals together and bringing the dog over to my apartment is not an option). Third, the boarding place wants to charge over a grand, but my coworker only wants to pay me $200 for housesitting for the 2 and a half weeks. Fourth, it's a young puppy and not completely obedient or trained, so I am worried especially after some of the stories I am hearing about his personality. Also, I wanted to keep my options open because my significant other and I were potentially making plans to go out of town and go hiking here and there.

How do I politely decline without saying the reasons why because they may come off as selfish, and I want to avoid my coworker getting mad?

Tell her you're very sorry but that it is more of a commitment than you are able to take on over the holidays. Any reasonable person would understand that. Two and a half weeks is a lot to ask of anybody.

Michelle ma Belle

You have legit reasons for why you don't want to dog sit so just be honest.

And who cares if she's offended that you won't take her puppy, that's HER issue not yours. Would you rather say yes to avoid her wrath only to go through two and half weeks of hell while resentment builds? You think that will make your working relationships better? I don't think so.

Decline and let it go.

• Like 1

Being responsible for a puppy that isn't obedient and trained is a recipe for disaster in itself. You don't want to be the person "responsible" for the puppy chewing up furniture.

Tell her you and your significant other have finally hammered down plans that conflict with the required housesitting obligation ;).

F**K NO!

Oh, you said polite. Let me try again.

No, I'm afraid I can't. I've been thinking about it and doing this for you seems like more effort than I'm willing to commit to. Sorry.

Just tell the truth and don't negotiate or explain too much. They know it's a lot to ask, that's why a kennel can get 1K for it.

• Like 1

You could always tell her that it will cost $1K to put your own dog into a kennel for the duration....

Anyway, good for you in saying that you need time to think it over. Great way to keep solid boundaries.

• 2 weeks later...