Got the job before interview ended

Hello everyone. I interviewed for a job last month. He told me that I had the job shortly after I sat down and answered like 2 questions.

It's a graphic design position. I wasn't sure he'd hire me,not that soon anyway....but he did.

What does it mean to get hired so quickly?

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Well it means they are probably a very small company with a very informal hiring process. But I'm guessing you knew that already.

It also probably means there wasn't a lot of qualified people interested in the job, so you may want to ask yourself why?

But no point in focusing on the negatives, they are obviously very excited to have you, so go in with a positive attitude and hopefully it'll work out great.

• Like 4
  • Author
Well it means they are probably a very small company with a very informal hiring process. But I'm guessing you knew that already.

It also probably means there wasn't a lot of qualified people interested in the job, so you may want to ask yourself why?

But no point in focusing on the negatives, they are obviously very excited to have you, so go in with a positive attitude and hopefully it'll work out great.

The company isn't small at all. They waited to hire someone for the position who would be a good fit, fromantic what 3 of my closest friends told me. However, there were a few other things that I felt going on in the interview, being we were of the opposite sex and the vibe I got....again, albeit positive.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed derogatory comment
  • Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Wait, what?

Lol, i'm not bitter, like I said, they obviously really liked you and so I hope it works out well for you.

But I don't take back what I said, it's not normal for a large company to hire someone without asking all of the normal interview questions, because if a candidate wants to claim discrimination of any type, you want a full paper trail showing why you hired the candidate that you did.

And if they had a bunch of qualified candidates I'm sure they would have finished the interview even if you made a really good impression at the start of it.

I have no idea about the dynamic of you being opposite sex from the interviewer you didn't mention that at all. I'll say this though, if you think you got hired because of a physical attraction beware that can backfire as well.

• Like 4

So how did they know you were a good fit for their team by asking just two questions? What sort of vibe where you getting from the interviewer?

I have been hired on the spot before, and I have only been interviewed by males (but never got any "vibes").

But the interviews were lengthy, I was interviewed by multiple people, introduced to more, before being offered the position.

You said you weren't sure if he had even hired you or not - did you not discuss salary, compensation etc?

• Author
Wait, what?

Lol, i'm not bitter, like I said, they obviously really liked you and so I hope it works out well for you.

But I don't take back what I said, it's not normal for a large company to hire someone without asking all of the normal interview questions, because if a candidate wants to claim discrimination of any type, you want a full paper trail showing why you hired the candidate that you did.

And if they had a bunch of qualified candidates I'm sure they would have finished the interview even if you made a really good impression at the start of it.

I have no idea about the dynamic of you being opposite sex from the interviewer you didn't mention that at all. I'll say this though, if you think you got hired because of a physical attraction beware that can backfire as well.

Let me be clear... he did finish the interview...we went through the entire process. He said, you have the job as of right now just fyi. I've vetted you and everything. Then he continued with a few other qurstions.

The reason I said your tone was facetious was because you started off stating all these negatives, then came back with "I'm sure they're very excited....to have you". Just sounds funny and weird.

You have no idea how "excited" they are... yes indeed things are working out well and they're pleased,but excited was overkill and I'm sure you probably realize that.

I've been in my position for about 20 yrs now. I'm not perfect but I'm no slouch. This was a promotion for me.

Backfiring meaning what? He hasn't made any passes,overtly. Though there was one comment he made that was kind of a flirt at a staff dinner,but I'll blame that on the alcohol to give him the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, he remains very professional...

I sincerely would like to know own though, which ways something like this could backfire...in this regard I indeed am a bit naive.

Thanks for any well wishes.

Edited by muse08
purplesoccer34

It is my understanding that graphic designers at your experience level are hard to find, and so that might be why he offered you the job so quickly.

I switched fields recently. Previously I was in a field that didn't have many jobs available in my area, and so I had a lot of difficulty finding work. Not anymore. I recently had an experience similar to the one you described, and I suspect that's because there weren't many other people who had the skills that they were looking for.

I would take it as a good thing. They obviously are in need of someone with your skills.

Standard-Fare

If you take out any factors based on flirtation/attraction (which you're hinting might have played a role — your suggestion, not ours), I would guess that this company is desperate to hire you. And it's worth considering why that desperation is there.

It could be that you're abundantly qualified, possibly even overqualified, so they felt lucky to have you as a candidate and wanted to snap you up immediately. That could be positive for you, giving you secure footing from the get-go, but it could also mean you're an attractive candidate for other (better?) jobs you maybe haven't considered.

Or it could be that the company is short-staffed and needs to hire immediately to fill a hole. It's also possible that the role you're taking is one that's been a gaping void for this company. Either you were clearly at the top of the heap of other candidates they reviewed, or they were eager to jump on the first candidate that matched their qualifications.

Bottom line: no, it's normal for a company to extend an offer that quickly, so you should examine whether the reasons for that are sound and work toward

your personal goals. You also might consider playing this to your advantage, asking for a higher salary or other perks.

• Like 2
Hello everyone. I interviewed for a job last month. He told me that I had the job shortly after I sat down and answered like 2 questions.

It's a graphic design position. I wasn't sure he'd hire me,not that soon anyway....but he did.

What does it mean to get hired so quickly?

Did you ask if he knows somebody that you've worked with or for? It might be as simple as that - your reputation precedes you.

It might also be that the job is simple simon, and if you can't do it, you shouldn't be in graphic design.

I can't think of a more benign comment than "they must be very excited to have you". Anyone who would read an insult into *that* should think about why.

• Like 3

So you're in the new position now? Any reasons why you're suddenly questionning the hiring process?

I've done interviews. By the time I meet someone, I know their resume by heart, and when interviewing the last candidate, I can pretty much tell within minutes whether or not they have the others beat. (As in, they would need to really mess up the rest of the interview to not be my first pick for the job). Were you one of the last people they interviewed? That could explain it.

GunslingerRoland

I've done interviews. By the time I meet someone, I know their resume by heart, and when interviewing the last candidate, I can pretty much tell within minutes whether or not they have the others beat. (As in, they would need to really mess up the rest of the interview to not be my first pick for the job). Were you one of the last people they interviewed? That could explain it.

You know, I've done 2 interviews in the last year where I was pretty much sure partway through the interview that I wanted to hire the person and they were a great fit.... and in both cases the person ended up turning down the position later when offered.

I think it's actually kind of condescending as an interviewer to assume that the person you are talking to wants your job and I always make it very clear at the start of the interview that it's as much for them to find out if it is the right position for them as much as for me to find out if they are right for the position.

You know, I've done 2 interviews in the last year where I was pretty much sure partway through the interview that I wanted to hire the person and they were a great fit.... and in both cases the person ended up turning down the position later when offered.

I think it's actually kind of condescending as an interviewer to assume that the person you are talking to wants your job and I always make it very clear at the start of the interview that it's as much for them to find out if it is the right position for them as much as for me to find out if they are right for the position.

Oh I agree. The structure of hiring at my work has to be approved by two committees so I would never tell anyone they had the job anyway.

My point was that when interviewing the last candidate, I usually know within 2-3 questions how they measure up to the other applicants. If I considered them the strongest candidate from their resume, sometimes I just need to meet the applicants to confirm that my first choice is the right choice.

• Like 1
  • Author
So how did they know you were a good fit for their team by asking just two questions? What sort of vibe where you getting from the interviewer?

I have been hired on the spot before, and I have only been interviewed by males (but never got any "vibes").

But the interviews were lengthy, I was interviewed by multiple people, introduced to more, before being offered the position.

You said you weren't sure if he had even hired you or not - did you not discuss salary, compensation etc?

The interviewer/head/boss sought me out. I didn't apply to this company in particular. As many employers do, he vetted me online and through the company I assume, which includes my picture (sidebar: im not a minority in the company so there's no quota that needed to be met via race or gender. He also said "when I find a good person I don't like to let them get away".)

I'd submitted my resume to several companies about one month prior to him contacting me for an interview. I was about to accept a job at another company , but decided to accept this current job instead. He saw my resume in a sister company HR department while I was about to work for that company...in a different position.

I never said I wasn't sure if he hired me or not.... It was clear that he hired me and yep, we did discuss salary, etc.

Because he is head of the company I skipped several middle men, whereas most people would have been interviewed by several other individuals first.

The vibe I got wasn't negative. It was positive. I've just never had an interview where:

1) the employer/head reached out to me rather than me calling and applying

2) was told I was hired before ending the interview

Let me be clear and candid. I'm not complaining. I'm just curios about whether or not he determined he wanted me on board so quickly once he saw me...physical or good vibe,etc.. Hope that makes sense...?

Edited by muse08
  • Author
...He said, you have the job as of right now just fyi...

(Followed by "if you'll accept it, it's yours.") Sorry, I shouldn't have left that out.

• Author
So you're in the new position now? Any reasons why you're suddenly questionning the hiring process?

Thanks Kamille. Yep, I'm in the position now. Going well.

I'm suddenly questioning because the interviewer/my boss made a somewhat flirtatious comment to me at a staff party,alcohol present. Singled me out with the comment. A few people heard it and I had to literally pull him aside to stop him from going any further. It was not derogatory, just made me feel a bit "in the spotlight" and made me think later.

One or two people have made comments that made me think about possible drama that could unfold. I don't like drama.

Regarding my hiring time, the company is still hiring for about 12 other positions because it's expanding, slowly but indefinitely.

Edited by muse08
Standard-Fare

Muse, I do think it's possible — since you were vetted beforehand and matched all the qualifications on paper — that the boss was simply waiting for a good vibe in person before he pulled the trigger. And he got that from you, so he went for it.

Whether this "good vibe" had anything to do with an attraction, who knows, but I guess you have to watch out for that.

Regardless, his handling of this was unconventional and many would argue unprofessional. Sure, you can do that for a summer job at an ice cream store, but it just doesn't happen much in professional settings. And in a lot of places, HR procedures would in fact prohibit it. I don't know if that should be cause for concern for you or not.

• Like 1

Let me be clear and candid. I'm not complaining. I'm just curios about whether or not he determined he wanted me on board so quickly once he saw me...physical or good vibe,etc.. Hope that makes sense...?

He saw your resume. You were headhunted. He needed to meet you to confirm his impression.

Unless there is something you're not telling us, such as : "We're very flirty and chatty with each other all day" there is nothing in what you wrote that suggests you were hired for your physical appearance rather than your skill set.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

The company isn't small at all.

The interviewer/head/boss sought me out.

Regarding my hiring time, the company is still hiring for about 12 other positions because it's expanding, slowly but indefinitely.

Okay, I have to ask. You said it's not a small company at all, but if 12 people is a large hiring and the boss of the company takes time to search out and interview employees it sounds like a very small company.

• Like 1
  • Author
Okay, I have to ask. You said it's not a small company at all, but if 12 people is a large hiring and the boss of the company takes time to search out and interview employees it sounds like a very small company.

Everyone else has been hired already. 12 people are for positions that have been added. There are hundreds of sites. I'll be working at one of the many sites. Q

So the company isn't huge,but it's definitely not small.