What's the best thing to do here?

purplesoccer34

I got an offer from company A. It seems like a great company and a good opportunity, but I went through a couple of interviews with company B, and I am absolutely in love with this company--the job, company culture, and just about everything else. This is the job I've always dreamed of having.

The recruiter at company B has been great in keeping in touch with me. She said that they're interested in me as a candidate, and have go through a few more steps before they make an offer--she's been emailing me periodically with updates about the process. She assured me that there will be an offer coming, and that she's working as quickly as she can to make it happen. The problem is that since this is a large company, it will be a few more weeks before I can receive a written offer.

Because of the offer from company A, I'm not sure what to do. Should I reject this offer, and hope that things with company B will work out? The recruiter from company B spoke pretty confidently, and so I trust that things will fall into place--but at the same time, I haven't received a written offer from them.

Tell Company B you got an offer from Company A and that if you had two identical offers, you'd pick Company B. Then ask where you stand in their hiring process because you have to act soon. Create a sense of urgency. You have nothing to lose.

• Like 2

For company B - Verbal assurance has got little significance without any written assurance. Irrespective of company size, authorizing a job offer shouldn't take weeks if everything is happening in the system. Also the problem with big organization is that they do have internal candidates for the post.

If you are in a technical skill driven industry, I would say go for company A (only if both offers are identical). Learning curve is steeper in small companies.

• Author
purplesoccer34
Tell Company B you got an offer from Company A and that if you had two identical offers, you'd pick Company B. Then ask where you stand in their hiring process because you have to act soon. Create a sense of urgency. You have nothing to lose.

I did this, and she responded saying that they're trying to speed things up as much as possible, and that I definitely will receive a written offer in a couple of weeks. So now that she told me this with confidence, I'm not sure of the chances that something could go wrong in the process--hopefully it's slim to none. I have a hard time believing that an employer would make a promise like this, and then renege at the very end, so hopefully that doesn't happen.

I have a week to decide on company A, and two weeks (hopefully) till I get the offer from company B. I'm leaning towards just waiting for the offer from B and hoping that everything will work out, but I don't know how smart of a move this is.

• Author
purplesoccer34
For company B - Verbal assurance has got little significance without any written assurance. Irrespective of company size, authorizing a job offer shouldn't take weeks if everything is happening in the system. Also the problem with big organization is that they do have internal candidates for the post.

If you are in a technical skill driven industry, I would say go for company A (only if both offers are identical). Learning curve is steeper in small companies.

I am an internal candidate :) Although it is very possible that they have other internal candidates that they are considering.

There definitely are benefits to working at a smaller organization.

• 3 weeks later...
lucy_in_disguise

It's odd that a "definite" offer for an internal position is going to take a "couple" of weeks, especially under the current circumstances where you have an offer from another company on the table. If it was a sure thing, I think they would move more quickly to give you a counter offer to persuade you to stay with the firm. So, I don't think that the odds are "slim to none" that this is rescinded, or that the offer will end up looking very different from what you expected. I would try to push for more information.

At the same time, I don't think there is any harm in asking for an extension on your offer with company A. You can reiterate that you are very interested but need more time to discuss with your family in order to make a decision. Its the holiday season so chances are, they can't make much progress on continuing their search anyway, and the worst case scenario is that they say no. In my experience, a company who is very interested in hiring you will not have an issue with a reasonable extension of a week or so. If you are able to get the extension, reiterate to your current company that you expect an offer by x date.

DrReplyInRhymes

Strapped for cash?

Take the offer from A while waiting to hear from B.

If B comes through, scrap A and go to B.

Not strapped for cash and not truly interested in A?

Wait for B.

Or scrap both and apply to C, D, E, F, G, H, I, etc.

What is it that you really want to do?

A is concrete, TAKE A UNTIL B comes along, you can even give A the OKAY and push the start date out if you choose, IF B comes through, then withdraw A. Don't screw yourself over for a 99% yes, you need that offer in writing.

*edit: I didn't realize the date, so how'd it turn out? Did B come through?!