When is a good time to follow up?

I had two interviews at a company, and both seemed to go well. After the first interview, the recruiter called me a week later to tell me that I had done very well, and that the hiring managers wanted to proceed with a second interview. In fact, she said that they were so excited about hiring me that she started talking about benefits and everything. She was great at keeping me informed throughout the whole scheduling process for the second interview.

The second interview was with a different set of managers and I had a good feeling about this one too. The interview went well past the scheduled time, and the interviewers asked for my references and about a possible start date. They then introduced me to some other members of the team. As I was about to leave, one of the managers started to tell me an interesting story, but when he realized that we were way over the time, he said, "I'll continue this story another time." After the interview, I sent a thank-you email, and one of the managers responded with a nice message.

It's been about a week and a half, and I haven't yet heard anything. I do know that this process can take some time, especially at a large corporation such as this one. When would be a good time to follow up? And if so, would I email the hiring manager or recruiter? I'm thinking that emailing the recruiter first would be a good idea, but I also don't want to seem too pushy.

Edited by disneyfan90

After a week and a half of waiting, I think it’s okay for you to check up on what’s happening. I would suggest you contact the recruiter regarding this. All the best!

• Like 1

I agree it's perfectly acceptable to follow up soon _ perhaps Monday, start of the week? I personally dislike getting "serious" emails toward the end of the week and tend to put them off unless it requires immediate attention. Nothing wrong with being eager and enthusiastic about joining your (hopefully!) next employer's team.

Follow up with your main point of contact _ in this case it sounds like the recruiter.

Good luck!

• Like 1

You need to talk to the recruiter, though I've sometimes gone direct AFTER the decision for feedback.

Most recruitment people I've ever dealt with have been complete a-holes. They're your best friend if they think they've got a sniff of getting you in a job (and collecting their commission) but never contact you with the bad news. You really have to hassle them at times.

I once made the mistake of telling one that the interview went well but I didn't want the job as the nature of the business didn't align with my ethics... The mouthful he gave me down the phone - I wouldn't repeat it :laugh:

• Like 1

Whenever I have job hunted and used recruiters I always call them the same day if possible or the morning after the interview - that way they know for one whether I have any interest.

I would always just liaise with the recruiter but would never leave it as long as this personally.

It's almost like ghosting on a potential date - no contact is most likely no interest.

For me, I see it as my role to contact the recruiter as it's my life, my job and much more important to me than their recruitment fee is to them!

If the recruiter says outright or hints that the managers lost interest in you as an applicant, press them for details as to why. I used to work as a recruiter, myself, don't be shy or feel bad about pressing for the reason(s). It's a big part of a recruiter's job to run interference between applicants and managers, and they are used to dealing with furious, sobbing and/or crazy people. Someone who is just pushy for explanations is small potatoes in comparison. If you wind up being turned down, the reason I suggest pressing for the reason is because I notice in your story that the communication died after you gave them your references. If someone is giving you a poor reference, you want to know which one it is, so you can eliminate it.

• Author

So I caved in yesterday and contacted the recruiter. She informed me that the hiring managers were a bit swamped with other projects at the moment, but that I'm definitely still in the running. She gave me a good explanation as to what was going on behind the scenes, and when I can expect to hear about a decision.

I'm glad I followed up--at the least, I've got peace of mind now!

• Author
If the recruiter says outright or hints that the managers lost interest in you as an applicant, press them for details as to why. I used to work as a recruiter, myself, don't be shy or feel bad about pressing for the reason(s). It's a big part of a recruiter's job to run interference between applicants and managers, and they are used to dealing with furious, sobbing and/or crazy people. Someone who is just pushy for explanations is small potatoes in comparison. If you wind up being turned down, the reason I suggest pressing for the reason is because I notice in your story that the communication died after you gave them your references. If someone is giving you a poor reference, you want to know which one it is, so you can eliminate it.

It's good to know that asking for an explanation is not too big a deal. I'll remember this when I go job-hunting again the future. In fact, I wish I did this for another job that I was most recently turned down from. Could have used the feedback.

• Author
Whenever I have job hunted and used recruiters I always call them the same day if possible or the morning after the interview - that way they know for one whether I have any interest.

I would always just liaise with the recruiter but would never leave it as long as this personally.

It's almost like ghosting on a potential date - no contact is most likely no interest.

For me, I see it as my role to contact the recruiter as it's my life, my job and much more important to me than their recruitment fee is to them!

I contacted the hiring manager and recruiter right after the interview, thanking them for their time. This is why I wondered if sending another email a week and a half after the interview would be nagging them--but thankfully, the recruiter seemed glad that I followed up!