Started a new job in a totally different field, six weeks ago. The manager at first seemed to agree that general training followed by detailed projects would be the way to go. I agreed.

About two weeks ago we sat down at a review...I left that review with the sinking suspicion that her agenda changed. She seems to believe in berating a person is how they learn. She sees nothing wrong with saying "don't do that!" at every turn of task. Mind you if I say Black,she says white. That is how things have digressed. To top it off, I made it clear from day one I would not tolerate cattyy behavior by the staff, yet here I sit, enduring every catty tactic these girls can conjure up. And I say nothing. Why? Because I have No other job lined up and I need a roof over my head.

I have been compliant thus far, dealing with the antics and having the' put up and shut up' about this business. I actually LIKE the job itself. Its less stressing from a Business stance...but from an inter personal staff stance...Oy vey! These ladies are ruthless....and for what? I told the one girl...I believe in building people up! Not tearing them down. And I have Not torn any of them down. I remain quiet and try to make the day go by.

My boss loves to twist what I say when I do broach her on matters. So talking to her is no longer an option. Guess I am seeking a way to endure this place til I do find a better job. I now understand the saying.... 'You are not a good fit'...Because seriously I know I am not a good fit in this job if this is how they treat their co workers....

I had an experience like this but it was the owner of the company. He seemed to think he could treat you however he wanted, including cursing & berating employees in front of everyone, as long as he paid well. Some took it because they didn't have a lot of options. I tried to hang in there as long as I could but I couldn't make it past 6 months. Life is too short!

• Author

Thanks Banker Chick for being able to relate.

My therapist said ...why do you allow Money to dictate how others can treat you? If you had a million dollars sitting in your bank account would you be more apt to address these ill mannered comments? My answer was...sure I'd speak up! He laughed and said...you are so much more valued then a million dollars in a bank....think about it.

Not sure I'll make it six months at this job...so hoping my upcoming interview comes with a job offer. I so miss my office life :)