Can we trust our instincts after an interview?

When making a decision about something, or when evaluating my performance in a certain area, I tend to follow my gut feeling. In the past, when I've gotten a good feeling from an interview, it would always turn out well for me, and when I didn't get a good feeling, I usually wouldn't get the job.

I had an interview recently where immediately following the interview, I had a great feeling. But now as I look back and really evaluate my answers to the questions, I'm not so sure. The interviewer made a lot of positive comments during the interview such as "Yes, that's exactly right" and "I'm really glad you brought that up." He spent a lot of time answering my questions at the end, and said "You're one of the few people today who came in with an updated resume--keep doing that for all of your interviews." Not sure if him saying that is a good or bad sign.

On my way out, another manager said to me, "I know you could do a great job here. Expect an offer coming soon." He didn't interview me though, so I'm not sure where this is coming from--regardless, it is flattering lol.

I did miss 2 simple questions which I absolutely should have known the answer to, and now I'm thinking I destroyed my chances at this company. Perhaps I'm just overthinking it.

Do you go with your gut feeling? Or do you go back and evaluate the facts?

Do you go with your gut feeling? Or do you go back and evaluate the facts?

I believe, if you are being your authentic self, you are wise to trust your gut instinct; it can be depended on.

If you over-think/second guess/over analyse, you can fret yourself and cease to be authentic.

Do you have a connection within the company friend/family? The job could already be earmarked and the interview process a necessary formality.

One never knows until the offer/rejection lands on the mat.

• Author
I believe, if you are being your authentic self, you are wise to trust your gut instinct; it can be depended on.

If you over-think/second guess/over analyse, you can fret yourself and cease to be authentic.

Do you have a connection within the company friend/family? The job could already be earmarked and the interview process a necessary formality.

One never knows until the offer/rejection lands on the mat.

I met one of the managers at a large networking event. We had a pretty interesting discussion about the work being done at the company, and I think that's how I was able to get the interview. I just wish my answers to some of the questions were better.

I do believe that the gut instinct is pretty good indication though, in general. Your gut doesn't over-analyze the way your mind does. But you're right that you never know until you actually get that offer/rejection.

When I click with the hiring manager and it becomes a conversation rather than a Q&A then I know I've got the job.