Applying for Jobs

SixthSt.Girl

I was just curious how those who are employed here found their jobs - did you respond to an ad in the paper, a job site, or did you know someone at the company? I've had good results applying for jobs I read about in the paper. I got my current job (a sales position at a jewelry store) by responding to an ad in the paper. They asked interested applicants to come to the store - I talked to the owner briefly, he called me for a interview a couple weeks later, and was hired shortly thereafter. I'm trying to make a crossover from retail to administrative work. It's very difficult. I've sent out tons of resumes, and have not gotten a response to any of them. They are all jobs I read about in the paper, or on a couple of job sites I frequent. I don't know if I should be making follow-up calls - I've heard conflicting opinions on that.

A few months ago, when I decided I was ready for a management-level position, I sent out several resumes to companies I heard about through the paper - almost every single one called me back! I got an offer for a trainee position, took it, hated it. Now I'm back at the store again, part-time. It's horrible - I even went to a personnel business. They had me do some tests - I did well on my clerical tests (Excel, Word, etc.), though my typing isn't that good. Most of these jobs I'm applying for don't even ask for WPM, but the personnel place said that is what's probably holding me back. I feel that because I have a degree (communications), I am being seen as overqualified. I wish I could just get my foot in the door somehow. I'm getting tired of sending and faxing resumes, wasting my money, only to hear nothing. I think I need a new approach, or maybe this field is not for me... So, any ideas? How did you land your job?

curiousnycgirl

I got 100% of my jobs through recruiters/personnel agencies/headhunters. The reality with ads in the paper or on the web is that they get thousands of responses! It is very iffy whether or not they will actually read your resume.

You idea of reaching out to companies you may be interested in working for is a good one - but not in administrative work.

There are many types of jobs that would benefit from good clerical skills, not all of them necessarily administrative and couple those skills with a communications degree - you could do well. However it sounds like you really don't know what type of jobs are out there.

I think your best bet is to reach out to a number of recruiting firms to see what's out there that would leverage your skills. Things that come to mind are public relations, advertising, publishing, etc.

Don't pigeon hole yourself into a single mindset - be open to any opportunity and you may just be surprised. I would say my first 3 jobs were pure luck/happenstance. I am must lucky that I discovered my G-d given talents and that they wree actually marketable skills!

Hope this helps.

The two best jobs I ever got I got through ads in the paper. The other method that has been most successful for me is using agencies.

HokeyReligions

Can you go back to your college and talk to a career counselor? Sometimes that helps.

I've found most of my jobs through headhunters/agencies, networking, and ads. I'm kind of in limbo because I'm not really doing what I went to school for the last time, but I get so bored and even at my age I still feel like I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! I'm one of those people who never really had a calling or a dream, consequently I had several majors and minors and still fall back to my main experience (ie: comfort zone) which is administrative management/HR/Marketing -- and I don't like it, but it pays the bills and its less stress than some of the other occupations I have had! The biggest problem with my field, and it sounds like it may be with yours, is that I work my way up the ladder but when I start over I have to start low and work up again --- its darn difficult to make a lateral move, even with a degree. I did that recently, via an ad in the paper, and while I came in at a higher level--I don't like the job/company very well. It's not as described to me in the interiews. I'm given responsibility, but not authority and without that, I am having a difficult time 'proving' myself.

Try stepping outside of your comfort zone and with a counselor's guidance in the right direction you may be able to find the career that you like. If you like office work, look for some long-term temporary assignments in the clericle/support staff field. You won't be tied down and can get a feel for different industries and positions.

And some good agencies will offer training / practice in typing or software skills so that you can increase your typing speed and be more marketable in that way.

• Author
SixthSt.Girl

[color=blue]And some good agencies will offer training / practice in typing or software skills so that you can increase your typing speed and be more marketable in that way.[/color]

I went back to the temp agency to redo my typing test, and did a lot better the second time. They said that this will help get me placed, and they also have training to help me develop my skills. They mentioned they have Word and Excel training, but those tests came out pretty good, so I don't know if I'm going to do that or not. Most of the positions I'm applying for want basic or intermediate skills in those programs - so, I wonder why I'm hearing nothing. I guess it's what you said - thousands of people read the paper and respond to ads. I was wondering if the business lists a number and an address, is it best to call or send a resume? My resume explains what I'm looking for better than I can verbally. But, with a phone call, I can determine whether or not they're still hiring for the position, and they can determine if they are interested in meeting with me right away.

• Author
SixthSt.Girl

[color=indigo]I think your best bet is to reach out to a number of recruiting firms to see what's out there that would leverage your skills. Things that come to mind are public relations, advertising, publishing, etc.[/color]

I had a college internship in public relations, and I didn't like it at all. My job wasn't bad, but my boss had a ton of hours plus stress and talked to reporters 24/7. I don't know much about advertising and publishing, but I'm guessing they'd be pretty grueling, too. I know several people with my degree who went into sales - they make a lot of money, but their job owns them, and I don't want that. I want a job, not a career. I don't want my job to be the main focus of my life. I chose the wrong degree - I should have dropped out and become a secretary. I had an opportunity to get on full-time where I interned, but that was early on in my internship, and I wanted to finish my education. Now, I regret that - I guess I should leave my degree out of the picture when applying for jobs from now on... Ironically, the university just called and wanted to know what alumni were doing, and if they wanted to donate money to the school. I told him I was working part-time at a store, and when my degree started paying off, I would donate money.

I'm trying to focus my interest into one sector of administration. I like animals and once wanted to become a vet tech. The science part kept me away, but I might try for administrative positions in animal clinics. I'm not sure how to get into this - if I will need more training, but I have to bring my cat in for her shots, so I will see what they have to say. Thank you all for your advice thus far.

HokeyReligions

Have your resume in front of you when you call -- write out the things you want to say so that you have them and can refer to them.

Send resumes and follow-up with a phone call. Don't forget to send thank-you letters after you have an interview (also ask for a business card at the end of the interview and remember to thank them for taking the time to meet with you---little things can make a big difference. Thanking them for taking your phone call is good too)

I keep hanging on here because I'm hoping it will get better -- there is a lot of potential but I don't know if I have the wherewithal to stick with it as it is. Potential is fine when one is young, but it leaves a LOT to be desired when one has more years behind them, then ahead of them!

It's so frustrating to be given responsibility and do the research and be ready to move on something, only to be told "no, wait, I have to clear it with so-and-so first" (There is a new VP here and she wants to do a good job (she was great before she was a VP) but she keeps coming up with ideas and making work, only to find out that it was all in her head and she didn't clear it with her boss and she is driving all of us crazy. I ask her "did John approve this?" and she says yes so I give work to my subordinates and I do my work and lo and behold when we give it to John she grabs it and says "I have to get clearance from him first -- we may not do this!"

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

No job is perfect there will always be aspects that we don't like, but if you are serious about looking for a new position, don't be afraid to reach for more than you are used to. You just might like it!

guess I should leave my degree out of the picture when applying for jobs from now on

Absolutely!! If you include your degree, they'll assume you'll get 'bored' in an admin job. I have a variety of resumes. When I'm starting out in a new town, I use the totally stripped-down model (no education, lessened job titles and duties) for agency work. I'll confess to having more qualifications to my rep, depending on what sort of person I'm dealing with but your best bet to get your foot in the door is to go with a modest resume.

curiousnycgirl:

I never ever had luck w/employment agencies, headhunters, recruiters, etc.

I am from NY too, which agnecies have you had luck with?

Also, what field are you in?

I have worked for 4 Fortune 500 companies, one of which was IBM. 3 of the 4 jobs I got thru ads in the Detroit Newspaper, including the one for IBM.

Well this is my first REAL job and I saw it in the l.a. times classified. I needed money bad and thanks to this job I found my true calling in life, I changed my major from Psychology to Law.