New employee problem

I'm the owner of a small business with one employee - a couple of months ago my assistant of several years had to leave (on great terms - had family things come up which require her time). She was great and gave more than enough notice. Had a few interviews and found her replacement and my old assistant trained her. The new one is trying and she does want to do a good job, but I've found that I really don't like her, which can be difficult when it's just the two of us in the office. Her predecessor and I would small talk a lot, but with this one I have no desire to engage her in small talk.

Anyone else had this issue? I really miss my old assistant (I even told her husband that when he came to get her last paycheck), but I have no grounds to fire her except that I don't like her. My dream is that she finds another job and the former one can come back (as stated, she was awesome and took a lot off of my plate).

Well, what about her do you not like? Is it just because she's not your previous assistant? What about your interview process? Did you already not like her then? How many people did you interview?

GorillaTheater

It depends on what you value in an employee. After having had a number of assistants over the years, I've come to the point where all I ask is competence and initiative. They could be Attila the f*cking Hun and as long as they do their job well, I'm good. I can walk down the hall to bug a co-worker, call up my wife or get on LS if I want to chit chat. I understand that it's just the two of you, but still.

Competence is rare enough to be valued.

• Like 1
It depends on what you value in an employee. After having had a number of assistants over the years, I've come to the point where all I ask is competence and initiative. They could be Attila the f*cking Hun and as long as they do their job well, I'm good. I can walk down the hall to bug a co-worker, call up my wife or get on LS if I want to chit chat. I understand that it's just the two of you, but still.

Competence is rare enough to be valued.

hahaha, so true....

I have had Attila the Hun work here before.. she was here about 6 years before she retired and she was the best bookkeeper we have ever had, but she was not a very nice person to get to know...

I think she belong to some old crones club.. not lying..

You don't hire someone to chit chat with them.. you hire someone to fill the position and make you money...

I'd bet if enough time goes by you both will feel more comfortable around each other and most of the chitchat will come in...

• Like 1