Love my job but want to leave

livinglife2019

I work in a interior retail store, I've been working there for nearly a year now. I started before the shop opened, so I've seen the business grow over the last year. My manager and I are the only two staff members who have stayed.

We took on a new full timer about 6 months ago named Laura and than a part timer about 4 months ago named Susannah. It turned out that the part timer was an interior designer. So the company who own the store decided to launch an interior design service. It was going good until the interior design wanted more hours. The owners came in after discussing it with Suannah and asked for Susannah and Lauras hours to be swapped. So Susannah would go full time and laura would go part time. My manger decided she didnt want to lose laura so instead of cutting Lauras hours as instructed, she cut all everyone's hours. She was then told that my hours are not to be cut as that they didn't want to lose me. So everyone went from 5 days to 4 and I went from 5 to 4 and a half until the store got busy again.

There are days when I work with both Susannah and Laura and they both give out about each other non stop blaming each other on the hours getting cut. Its really turning me off working there all together. What also doesnt help is that I need 5 days to survive. I didn't mind only working 4 and a half for a few weeks but now I'm thinking about leaving as I have bills, rent etc to pay and I'm just not earning enough.

I had a discussion with my manager not that long ago and she told me that the owners really don't want to lose me and that when I'm there a year, which will be next week. She told I should ask for a raise. The thing is I need a raise and a full 5 days, but I know if I ask for a raise and more hours and they give it to me, someones hours will be cut.

I really don't know what to do.

Should I hold off and just ask for more hours and a raise?

Should I just leave?

Should I have a discussion with my manger and let her know what I've been thinking of doing?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

• Like 2

I am feeling a little bit like you as in loving my job but increasingly wanting to leave just now so you have my empathy"

OK, blunt stuff - your hours got vut.

You have to deal with negativity from S & L all the time.

Negativity rubs off and do so harshly - I burst into tears a couple of weeks ago over just over hearing so much negativity from a colleague day in day out.

It's a real killer if you are upbeat but have to hear it.

You have a few great things going for you.

They don't want you to leave - this means you do a great job.

You have been there and actually helped this business grow.

So your choice has to be down to if your hours were upped can you actually handle the negativity?

If you feel that you don't want to have to deal with that then you have so many things you can add to your CV that you probably haven't thought of yet - because you helped the business grow...

You need your hours back up - yes ask for it.

If they don't give that to you you write up your CV.

You can ask for a raise to substitute the lost hours - ask for it.

If they don't give you the hours you want or the pay then it's their loss and you start looking right now.

You can ask for either of these - if you get upped pay then you are in a better position to get out there with your newly revamped CV (to include all of the extra things you did which added to the business start up) and your new salary and new salary requirements.

I would ask for a payrise to compensate the cut hours if I were you - then - then you decide whether you can handle the negativity and if it's worth it.

It's a dog eat dog World, That's just the way it is, you didn't make the rules.

If someone's hours get cut to pay your raise that is just the way it has to be.

You have a cost of living to maintain.

You are not responsible for the other workers, they must maintain their own living costs.

You go to work to earn your keep, as do the others, and each is responsible for themselves.

It's a dog eat dog World, That's just the way it is, you didn't make the rules.

If someone's hours get cut to pay your raise that is just the way it has to be.

You have a cost of living to maintain.

You are not responsible for the other workers, they must maintain their own living costs.

You go to work to earn your keep, as do the others, and each is responsible for themselves.

It would be great if work and working relationships were all that simple and some are.

Many are not though.

Stick around and ask for your raise. If the other two can't sort themselves out soon they will both be out the door. Squabbling at work isn't a good look and it's bad for business too. It seems to me the best solutions is to give the two best workers full time and make the other part-time. End of story. The part-timer then has the option to find another job if they don't like it.

• Like 1