How do you welcome a new employee? Or do you?

HokeyReligions

This is a spin-off from another thread. Someone new started working for a company, they didn't seem to fit in, and one person wanted to try and help this new person, but was unsure how to go about it. Most of the replies she received was to stay out of it, mind her own business.

I think that is sad in a way, but I also see it as somewhat of a generational thing. In the past whenever a new employee started they were taken to lunch, people welcomed them, offered to help--and it wasn't an empty offer. I would make an effort to get to know the person, help them understand their job (if I could) and offer tips on the how's and why's the company has operated the way that it has. My efforts have never been unappricated. I've always appreciated the effort by others to do the same.

But, now as I move from job to job I encounter a younger workforce. Everyone seems to keep their heads down, don't offer to help, no orientation or team spirit, empty "let me know if I can help you" phrases and no one offers or accepts a lunch invitation with a new person.

It's a very different attitude than it was when I first started out. I've been at my new job since February 14th and I have not gone to lunch with anyone yet! A couple of people have said Welcome Aboard to me, but most have said/offered nothing except to ask me for things!

No one else makes a first move and my suggestions have been rejected so I no longer suggest going out for lunch together (even though some of us go to lunch at the same time) or ordering in and eating in the conference room together.

I hear complaints from upper management about how there is no team work anymore---it's not fostered, but management doesn't want to hear that. Everyone seems to be in it for themselves -- they offer to help when they are told to offer to help.

How about all of you? What do you do when a new employee starts in your company or department? How do you feel? Threatened? Welcoming? It reminds me of someone becoming a sister (or brother) and fearing mommy & daddy will love them less and not give them as much.

We welcome them by giving them a buddy to hang with until they learn the routine etc etc.

All of our staff on 3-11 make every attempt in making their first days as pleasant as one can working in a hospital setting.

Everyone goes up to say hi and welcome at the beginning of the shift.

But I know what your feeling being the newbie at your work.

I too have gone from various hospitals and places of employment during my nursing career and it is an uncomfortable feeling starting all over again and again!

Originally posted by HokeyReligions

How about all of you? What do you do when a new employee starts in your company or department? How do you feel? Threatened? Welcoming? It reminds me of someone becoming a sister (or brother) and fearing mommy & daddy will love them less and not give them as much.

It all depends on what type of vibe that person sends me. There are some people you can be more welcoming and there are other that seem like they do not want to be even looked at. I tend to introduce myself and if I can help them out I will. Most of the time it's harder for me to help because we all do different types of cases but I do try my best to make them feel welcomed, not too much were I will get in trouble though!!!

I like to tell them not to expect to be paid on time.. uh.. is this welcoming? :confused::laugh:

Gdamn Doctor!!!

The entire office takes them to eat mexican - on the doc. We go twice a week for lunch and if you don't like mexican, you'll hate working with us. It's like our own little hazing process.

Originally posted by tiki

The entire office takes them to eat mexican - on the doc. We go twice a week for lunch and if you don't like mexican, you'll hate working with us. It's like our own little hazing process.

Where do you work and how do I get hired?

after Jim, my editor, and I completed our interview, he took me around the office introducing me as an applicant for the position, which I thought was a little odd, but nice. Then he hired me, so I guess that saved a bit of time. :p

but that tradition still continues in our office: newbies are dragged around the offices and introduced to the rest of the chancery staff, and we make sure to tell them what services we offer, then let 'em know that if they need help or something in particular from the newspaper, to not hesitate to call us.

the lunches vary, depending on who organizes what, though we always throw a send-off luncheon for those who leave, most often an informal roast of the one leaving, then pulling other co-workers into the fray. Pretty much, it's like having a big family around the table, and everyone's got something funny to share.

my one co-worker, who has been here since the diocese was founded 20 years ago, said that in the beginning, the staff would order pizzas and someone would bring wine ... all with the head guy's approval!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, being in such a supportive place: I can't imagine being someplace where workers feel so isolated.

• Author
HokeyReligions
Originally posted by quankanne

after Jim, my editor, and I completed our interview, he took me around the office introducing me as an applicant for the position, which I thought was a little odd, but nice. Then he hired me, so I guess that saved a bit of time. :p

but that tradition still continues in our office: newbies are dragged around the offices and introduced to the rest of the chancery staff, and we make sure to tell them what services we offer, then let 'em know that if they need help or something in particular from the newspaper, to not hesitate to call us.

the lunches vary, depending on who organizes what, though we always throw a send-off luncheon for those who leave, most often an informal roast of the one leaving, then pulling other co-workers into the fray. Pretty much, it's like having a big family around the table, and everyone's got something funny to share.

my one co-worker, who has been here since the diocese was founded 20 years ago, said that in the beginning, the staff would order pizzas and someone would bring wine ... all with the head guy's approval!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, being in such a supportive place: I can't imagine being someplace where workers feel so isolated.

That is pretty much what I had been used to. I had to ask them on the second interview if I could see the office and all hey did was take a few steps outside the conference room and point! I should have known then! :p

One place I worked showed me around as part of the interview and when I was hired there was a Welcome sign on my desk that everyone had signed. Then I was taken to lunch and it was great from there. I've also been the one to drive the welcome-wagon for others by putting together a package of information (phone lists, door codes, maps, etc.) to welcome people.

It just seems like the younger workforce has a totally different approach. I am pretty isolated here at this job and I do not like it. My receptionist just came and told me she's leaving for the day because she didnt feel well. The IT person left this morning and I didn't even know about it! Our secretary is still here so she is answering the phones along with her regular duties, but because I sit so far away, and because I'm having problems getting the receptionsist to accept me as her boss (not surprising since my boss doesn't seem to care, except to 'scold' me) I didn't know until she came and told me that she had already told my boss that she was leaving.

Sorry, i turned my own thread into a rant.

I want to go home now. But I can't. I'm waiting on information to complete a presentation for tomorrow and it's 3pm here now -- I'll betcha I'll be here until 8 or 9 tonight.

The heads of organizations set the tone. If the bosses are also very young, it could just be they were brought in straight out of school and never did learn office niceties. OTOH, if they're generally older, then it's just the atmosphere that the head banana has set.

It's pitiful that after years and years and years of management consulting and research, managers still haven't figured out that a happy team is a productive team.

Wonder where Curly is because what you're saying is just what I was saying some time ago about how management in most places is bloody awful.

simplybrill

I started around the same time you did, early February...and at first people introduced themselves as I bumped into them, or they came through my office, and now I talk to some people pretty regularly.

At first, they did the customary welcome to the company stuff...but now its definitely every man for himself, sink or swim kind of attitude. Im not sure what it is...maybe people weren't genuine to begin with...or maybe its because im one of the youngest people there, they have no respect? Hmm...