CIO creates conflict between employees

beautifulinside2

Has anyone ever worked for a senior level Executive that worked to divide his/her own employees? My company CIO frequently causes drama by spreading personal business of employees and gossiping amongst others. He condones employees telling on each other and he never gives out positive praise only negative. The level of professionalism is unbelievable of someone in his position. I'm mid management and I try my best to motivate my staff and co workers, but it's difficult when the CIO is always negative.

Yeah I worked with a VP who was really big on transparency as he liked to call it. He was one of those guys who grew up in a rural area of the Southeast and believed heavily in speaking his mind.

If anyone would confide anything personal with him he would put it on blast during department meetings in front of everyone often pitting colleague against colleague. For example he would say in front of everyone that Mary believes that Annabelle steals all her ideas and likes to take credit for it. Or that John thinks that Todd gets special treatment because he is sleeping with his boss....

That was his way of getting it out in the open and getting the employees to hash out their problems instead of sitting on them, gossiping about them and letting them fester.

Although he had great intentions it started to get really out of hand as employees started to complain to HR and eventually he was told to stop.

• Author
beautifulinside2
Yeah I worked with a VP who was really big on transparency as he liked to call it. He was one of those guys who grew up in a rural area of the Southeast and believed heavily in speaking his mind.

If anyone would confide anything personal with him he would put it on blast during department meetings in front of everyone often pitting colleague against colleague. For example he would say in front of everyone that Mary believes that Annabelle steals all her ideas and likes to take credit for it. Or that John thinks that Todd gets special treatment because he is sleeping with his boss....

That was his way of getting it out in the open and getting the employees to hash out their problems instead of sitting on them, gossiping about them and letting them fester.

Although he had great intentions it started to get really out of hand as employees started to complain to HR and eventually he was told to stop.

Thank you what a great example. I have been with my company for 16 years him two and I would hate to leave because of his inappropriate behavior. I have not experienced any against me but it's just a matter of time.