LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Responding to Grievances in Academia?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2016, 4:02 PM   #16
AMJ
Established Member

Some adjunct professors are in a union- are you? If so, contact your union rep now and make sure they come with you to the meeting.

It's customary not to get details about a grievance prior to the meeting, unfortunately. You will have an opportunity to respond and make your case, dispute the grievance if necessary. This is why it's important to document your work, your interactions with students, etc.

It's possible that a coworker and not a student filed the grievance, also. If you've had any conflicts with other staff or faculty?
AMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 5:35 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
Some adjunct professors are in a union- are you? If so, contact your union rep now and make sure they come with you to the meeting.

It's customary not to get details about a grievance prior to the meeting, unfortunately. You will have an opportunity to respond and make your case, dispute the grievance if necessary. This is why it's important to document your work, your interactions with students, etc.

It's possible that a coworker and not a student filed the grievance, also. If you've had any conflicts with other staff or faculty?
I'm not in a union, and no, I haven't had any conflicts with other staff or faculty. The director (the one facilitating the grievance process) doesn't seem to like me very much though, based on my past interactions with her. I can't say for certain, but my sense is that she just wants her faculty to pass the students and get them in and out of the program. I came highly recommended to her because I'm good at teaching difficult subjects. When the students essentially bullied me starting on the first day of class (demanding that I let them out early each class, buy them pizza, give them extra credit, etc... No, I am not joking) I stood in regular communication with her, and she seemed to side with any students who took issue with me and wanted better grades. It is obvious to me she sides with the student, even when the student is demonstrating concerning academic behavior. On the other hand, some of my students thanked me for holding them to a standard and said they'd never been challenged before in this program - that past professors actually allowed them to plagiarize and play on their laptops. I forwarded these emails to my director to demonstrate that there was some balance during the course; that not all of the students despised me for expecting them to do actual work.

I recently spoke with HR and they said there's nothing saying that I can't have access to information before the meeting, and that it would be sensible for me to get filled in on what's going on so I can prepare. My director is actively ignoring in her responses to me any requests I make to learn about the grievance and who it's from by acting as if I never even inquired about it in my last message to her. It worries me that she wants to see me go down.

Last edited by TunaInTheBrine; 26th August 2016 at 6:08 PM..
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 6:08 PM   #18
AMJ
Established Member

Well if HR says that, and you told them that she's ignoring your requests for that info before the meeting, then HR should step in and tell her to give you the info.

Depends on how hard you want to fight this, but if HR isn't helping (shocker!) your next option is getting a lawyer.
Old 26th August 2016, 6:13 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
Well if HR says that, and you told them that she's ignoring your requests for that info before the meeting, then HR should step in and tell her to give you the info.

Depends on how hard you want to fight this, but if HR isn't helping (shocker!) your next option is getting a lawyer.
I really don't feel like fighting it or stressing myself out more than I already am (I'm losing sleep, can't concentrate at my other job, and is effecting my relationship - all of which I have been talking about in therapy). If it's a silly grade issue and the department wants documentation justifying the grades, I can give that to them. I did everything objectively and with rationale. If it's some wild allegation or can potentially jeopardize my career, then I'll look into a lawyer. I already have legal liability coverage that I purchase annually and I've made my liability insurance company aware of what is happening. I'm documenting everything. I can't say that I'm receiving much administrative support at all, very little education on the process, and our policies manual details virtually nothing about the rights of the accused. The early emails I received were quite ominous, and everything else has been arbitrary.

I remember when I was first offered to teach this course. No one else seemed to want to do it, and the one person who I spoke to who had taught it before seemed very nervous when I met him to discuss how his experience was. I completely see now why this course was difficult to fill. I can't help but feel like I got sacrificed to the sharks from the outset, and now am basically getting jerked around for doing the job no one wanted to do.

Last edited by TunaInTheBrine; 26th August 2016 at 6:22 PM..
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 6:38 PM   #20
AMJ
Established Member

Just one more example of people getting punished for doing their job too well. How dare you expect students to earn their grades and stay in class the full hour. Sorry