Having a hard time finding full-time employment

I recently went back to college to finish my degree after several interviewers told me that even though they were happy with the experience I had for the jobs I was interviewing for, I had one other candidate with a little more education than me. So after several rejections, I decided to go back and finish. I graduated in December with a business degree. I currently work part-time in retail and I don't have any opportunities for advancement. I have been putting in resumes and applications everywhere I can think of and I have gotten rejections because now I'm not experienced enough.

I spent 2011-2015 unemployed to stay home with my child and used the last year of that time to go back to school. I went through a divorce last year as well and have been employed part-time for a little over a year. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Advice is appreciated

DrReplyInRhymes
I recently went back to college to finish my degree after several interviewers told me that even though they were happy with the experience I had for the jobs I was interviewing for, I had one other candidate with a little more education than me. So after several rejections, I decided to go back and finish. I graduated in December with a business degree. I currently work part-time in retail and I don't have any opportunities for advancement. I have been putting in resumes and applications everywhere I can think of and I have gotten rejections because now I'm not experienced enough.

I spent 2011-2015 unemployed to stay home with my child and used the last year of that time to go back to school. I went through a divorce last year as well and have been employed part-time for a little over a year. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Advice is appreciated

With a degree in the bag, I'd approach a staffing company in your area,

They often have networks of companies and they can be quite varied, ya,

Set up linkdin profiles, indeed, monster, and look through the papers too,

Ask around in facebook to former colleagues, friends, and family til you're blue!

• Like 2

There are some support groups for mums who are wanting to go back to work after staying home with their kids for a few years. Have you looked to see if there are any in your area, or a facebook page/website if there are none locally? I think they would be best poised to offer you advice on how to proceed from here.

UpwardForward

I know there are companies here who have trimmed back hours of even existing employees to avoid the mandate of the ACA, and all it entails.

People are in some cases working two part time jobs.

You may want to think of selling a product on the side, or at least be partly self-employed.

You could advertise on the internet or with distribution of flyers or business cards.

• Author

I have looked for all support groups and haven't found any. There's a job posting page on Facebook for my town that I am a part of. Most of the agencies post on it looking for factory workers and state that experience is required. I have looked at online postings, called placed, paper listing, gone in person, asked friends and family for referrals, followed up on leads through networking and coworkers.

Mind-Chants
I have looked for all support groups and haven't found any. There's a job posting page on Facebook for my town that I am a part of. Most of the agencies post on it looking for factory workers and state that experience is required. I have looked at online postings, called placed, paper listing, gone in person, asked friends and family for referrals, followed up on leads through networking and coworkers.

I fear you are from a town which has more blue collar jobs. So there would be limited opportunities for business grads. Even if they have vacancies they would always go for experienced people.

If you don't mind sharing, your business major domain (Fin/Mktng/Sales/BMA/Acc/IB)? Location- Big/mid/small city or town? Do you know anyone from your locality who majored in business and work there?

• Author

I would say that blue collar would be the majority. I went back to school to help my chances of a job even if it's not necessarily in my field because I was told that people with an associates degree were more qualified than me. I majored in marketing, would have changed but I was at the 10 year mark and my university would have had me retake older classes if I didn't graduate last year.

The town I am from is not small but not necessarily huge (to me) although we are a college town and seem to be growing. I recently moved to a smaller town 30 miles away and still commute to the original town for my current job. I only work 4-5 hours shifts per day. The smaller town I am in now is more in the middle of other larger cities.

As far as I know, the majority of grads in my class have found work by relocating to large cities. I don't have that privilege since I am a single parent. I don't care what the job is at this point, I just want to be able to survive. I have applied to 50+ jobs so far since December that were full- time and I haven't been able to get an interview. If I am able to find out why I wasn't considered, it's the common response of "the others have more experience".

RecentChange

I went to a staffing agency when I was looking for a position. They placed me with a company - a position with lots of room for advancement.

14 years later, I still work in the same industry, and enjoy a generous salary and a lot stability.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
I went to a staffing agency when I was looking for a position. They placed me with a company - a position with lots of room for advancement.

14 years later, I still work in the same industry, and enjoy a generous salary and a lot stability.

I found good jobs this way as well.

Positions would begin on a temp status, then they kept me.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

Your town and surrounding cities: Could you solicit for a job on each city's related FB site? Aside from private sector job, perhaps govt jobs or job with chambers that represent the cities.