How often is too often to change jobs in a professional career?

I am a bit frustrated that I am unable to find a home for more than 3-5 years. Never fired, never laid off (but had one place were we both agreed it was time to end it) , never been unemployed, just find myself moving for various reasons - usually because a place is "sinking" and I get off the ship. I have good references and skills.

I am currently with a pretty darn good company, but its clear my boss and I are both deeply disappointed in each other. No real chance of being fired anytime soon as I am too valuable, but it will not improve. I am in a small office so no way to change departments. Other offices and leaders in my same company like me well enough they tried to recruit me to their branch office - but I have a home and family and not going to move to other states. I do appreciate these other offices high opinion of me One of the reasons I like the company over all.

I have another job opportunity which looks amazing perfect fit for me and would save me 8 hours a week in commuting. I might apply for it.

I am just back to feeling disappointed that I am back to considering changing again.

I don't know about the work culture where you live or what field you work in, but 3-5 years is actually a pretty long time to stay with an employer in my field. I do think that things have changed quite a bit since my parents' generation when people stayed with an employer for decades. IMO doing so in my current culture/environment would just stunt your growth.

• Like 4
Mind-Chants
I don't know about the work culture where you live or what field you work in, but 3-5 years is actually a pretty long time to stay with an employer in my field. I do think that things have changed quite a bit since my parents' generation when people stayed with an employer for decades. IMO doing so in my current culture/environment would just stunt your growth.

I don't think it's generation issue, it is more of the changing job situation. Our parent's generation saw more resource based industry, so job profiles were more skill oriented which required them to be in the same position for long time to build expertise. Present jobs (most) are more knowledge oriented. Knowledge is very progressive these days. You need to be updated to keep your market value.

If you are changing jobs every 3-5 years, let me guess you in a management position or IT related field. Because both these are the most dynamic fields and widespread that you get opportunities quite often.

How often is too often to change jobs in a professional career?

I am a bit frustrated that I am unable to find a home for more than 3-5 years. Never fired, never laid off (but had one place were we both agreed it was time to end it) , never been unemployed, just find myself moving for various reasons - usually because a place is "sinking" and I get off the ship. I have good references and skills.

I am currently with a pretty darn good company, but its clear my boss and I are both deeply disappointed in each other. No real chance of being fired anytime soon as I am too valuable, but it will not improve. I am in a small office so no way to change departments. Other offices and leaders in my same company like me well enough they tried to recruit me to their branch office - but I have a home and family and not going to move to other states. I do appreciate these other offices high opinion of me One of the reasons I like the company over all.

I have another job opportunity which looks amazing perfect fit for me and would save me 8 hours a week in commuting. I might apply for it.

I am just back to feeling disappointed that I am back to considering changing again.

I am going to switch company for the first time next month. I joined after graduation in 2011. Did my post graduation while working. After 5 years I feel saturated. I have educational background in a specialized field and moving towards to a more general field with job change. Unlike yours, my boss is super awesome. We have disagreements but we respect each other. He has been quite emotional since I dropped the news that I am leaving. Only thing is that I am moving to another country. So it's more of a career move than a convenience move.

• Like 1
  • Author

Appreciate the feedback - especially the 3-5 year history not being unusual.

Yes I am in a technical professional field and I am in a leadership role. Its just so depressing that within this one office I am butting heads with my boss. I can't do anything right (her way).

A month ago I had a chance to work with a special project team with two other offices, that included the former CEO (who has steeped down into a kind of semi retired role) of our company. The former CEO told me it was one of the best teams he was worked with in his 20 years there. Then I have a review with my boss yesterday who says I am disappointing her (and her boss ) in my office. Yesterday was hard to listen to 45 mind of her criticisms. I had to just disagree with her assessments as professionally but firmly as I could - which only made it worse. MY boss has left for two weeks on a vacation thankfully. I think she deliberately scheduled this review before she left. I am a bit ashamed I have let her shake me up like this.

At this point the job opportunity that has come up is too good not to apply to. I also have several friends that work there and have said they will provide references. Also I get calls regularly from recruiters and others

Edited by dichotomy
Mind-Chants
Appreciate the feedback - especially the 3-5 year history not being unusual.

Yes I am in a technical professional field and I am in a leadership role. Its just so depressing that within this one office I am butting heads with my boss. I can't do anything right (her way).

A month ago I had a chance to work with a special project team with two other offices, that included the former CEO (who has steeped down into a kind of semi retired role) of our company. The former CEO told me it was one of the best teams he was worked with in his 20 years there. Then I have a review with my boss yesterday who says I am disappointing her (and her boss ) in my office. Yesterday was hard to listen to 45 mind of her criticisms. I had to just disagree with her assessments as professionally but firmly as I could - which only made it worse. MY boss has left for two weeks on a vacation thankfully. I think she deliberately scheduled this review before she left. I am a bit ashamed I have let her shake me up like this.

At this point the job opportunity that has come up is too good not to apply to. I also have several friends that work there and have said they will provide references. Also I get calls regularly from recruiters and others

I think this way more common than you realize. I have seen it many times where CEO change is always associated with new faces among the top executives. Every CEO wants his/her own team, own command and control structure.The level you are talking about has unseen political forces. It's more about work dynamics and leadership style. It is just an issue of compatibility and expectancy between you and your boss. That being said I strongly believe things are not going to get any better anytime soon.

Taking your seniority and job experience, opportunities are very much limited compared to mid level manager like me. Sir, I think you should take the opportunity.

• Like 2

It's normal.

Employers always pull the bait and switch.

They will get you to believe the job is great when they need to fill a position. And once you're hired they will maintain the perception of the job being great (so you don't walk off) but only for a while.

They keep you happy just long enough to get what they need from you.

Then things slowly begin to change and you realize the job isn't so great anymore.

Rinse and repeat.

The days of working somewhere for 30 years are over. It's a sick and disposable society.

• Like 1