How to report a boss?

I want to report my horrible manager to HR because he is ruining the job for almost everyone. Is it possible to do this and stay anonymous? He is the type of person who will take revenge on someone so I don't want it to come back on me. If I do it and stay anonymous will they take my complaint serious?

GunslingerRoland
I want to report my horrible manager to HR because he is ruining the job for almost everyone. Is it possible to do this and stay anonymous? He is the type of person who will take revenge on someone so I don't want it to come back on me. If I do it and stay anonymous will they take my complaint serious?

How big is your company? How many people does he manage? Do you have an HR department with actual policies in place? Is this a complaint that would get him fired if proven?

Also you can levy a complaint, but if you aren't really willing to stand behind it, it probably won't lead to anything...

• Like 1
  • Author
How big is your company? How many people does he manage? Do you have an HR department with actual policies in place? Is this a complaint that would get him fired if proven?

Also you can levy a complaint, but if you aren't really willing to stand behind it, it probably won't lead to anything...

The particular business I am at right now has around 15 employees because 5 + people have left or transferred because of him. I am also considering asking for a transfer so I can just be done with him. It just makes me mad that I have to leave a place I love because someone who shouldn't ever be in charge of anyone can talk a good talk. I would be more than willing to stand behind my complaint if I knew it would lead to something. My fear is it not leading to something. He is the kind of person to take revenge on someone.

If my complaint could be proven I feel that it could lead to action being taken against him. My fear is it would be my word against his and HR tends to always side with higher ups.

The particular business I am at right now has around 15 employees because 5 + people have left or transferred because of him. I am also considering asking for a transfer so I can just be done with him. It just makes me mad that I have to leave a place I love because someone who shouldn't ever be in charge of anyone can talk a good talk. I would be more than willing to stand behind my complaint if I knew it would lead to something. My fear is it not leading to something. He is the kind of person to take revenge on someone.

If my complaint could be proven I feel that it could lead to action being taken against him. My fear is it would be my word against his and HR tends to always side with higher ups.

If people have left cuz of this boss, then there's your answer there. HR, management, etc, ain't gonna do a thing.

IMO, 99%, HR is there to save the company and rid of complainers. They're like 'Oh, yeah, come to HR so we can help you'. NOT. They want you to come to them so they can screw you over as soon as possible before you file something like EEO or something that will cost them money.

• Like 3
If people have left cuz of this boss, then there's your answer there. HR, management, etc, ain't gonna do a thing.

IMO and from experience, this answer is right on the money.

Have the people who have left been replaced? If not then there is your reason why this miscreant is so horrible. Saves HR and the Company a whole heap of grief and money if people just up and leave.

I guess they may have a policy something like year on year they have to increase output by 5% or reduce the staff wage bill by 5%. The Law of Diminishing Returns is the bad boy here.

It flys in the face of the fact that happier people are more productive, adopting a more 'person centred' style of management.

Management Theory these days is 'if you want the job get on with it, if you don't, there is the door'

The post 'economic downturn' employment market.

• Like 2
  • Author

Have the people who have left been replaced? If not then there is your reason why this miscreant is so horrible. Saves HR and the Company a whole heap of grief and money if people just up and leave.

I guess they may have a policy something like year on year they have to increase output by 5% or reduce the staff wage bill by 5%. The Law of Diminishing Returns is the bad boy here.

It flys in the face of the fact that happier people are more productive, adopting a more 'person centred' style of management.

Some of the people have been replaced, but the people who have replaced them are no where near as efficient at their job.

Our monthly "scores" have gone down weekly since he took over, and I do not understand how no one but the employees can see the connection. No one at all except the favorite cares about the job or what he thinks. It just makes me sad because this used to be a place I was happy to work at.

I guess having a job I loved for over a year is more than some people ever get. I've decided to start looking for a different job where I can make more money. I might be just as unhappy, but at least I'll be making a lot more to put up with a bad work environment.

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts. If your company has an whistleblower call in, you can use that to make your complaint. If not, you can go to HR and ask to have it kept confidential to a degree.

It depends on the specifics on what is going on and what upper management will do. Normal this would be a progressive discipline issue so if there isn't a known history and/or something egregious then they will try and work your manager through the system. Termination (should be) last resort.

Also your company should have policies and philosophies on retaliation to protect you for the greater good. This does not mean you won't have to work with your manager and have to deal with some tough conversations but you can't be unfairly treated/terminated.

I do see that people want to be able to complain but not stand by it. There is usually three sides to a story and it isn't completely one person's fault. Obviously not always the case but in general. So there may be valid issues that your manager has that would need to be dealt with. It would be reasonable to expect you two to work through them.

I have had to deal with performance issues with subordinates myself. They aren't easy conversations but normally we try and find a happy medium though there are things we have to agree to disagree about.

There is also always the possibility that your company doesn't follow best practices and you are retaliated against unfairly.

It just makes me mad that I have to leave a place I love because someone who shouldn't ever be in charge of anyone can talk a good talk.

There is a saying that people leave bad bosses; not bad companies. I've left most of my jobs due to poor managers even if I liked my team or the company.

If the company were large enough you could transfer and get to a place where this manager couldn't touch you I would consider staying. Otherwise I would start looking.

I do have a bit of a fear of HR. In the last company I worked for, many (10+) of my coworkers complained against the management to HR. Most of the time HR just collected a file. For three of those cases I know the managers retaliated. Two of the three were called incompetent (even though one was a long time knowledgeable employee) and they were fired. The third was made to look incompetent even though this person was one of the most skilled in the department and left due to the harassment. These three people were all women. Nothing happened to the men who complained.

Edited by Miss Peach