Awkward confession with boss

In a meeting, my boss kept telling me of the "great" plans he have set for me to help grow the company. He outlined trips, meetings, keeping up with latest industry standards through, shows, expos, and seminars around the globe. The problem was --- i didnt want any of it.

Aside from the fact i was not being compensated fairly and our hours are insane, i really had no plans on staying with the company long-term.

Therefore, I was compelled to confess to him on the spot that i was planning on resigning. I told my boss i wanted to start my own business, be my own boss, and that my personal goals was on a different direction from the company. I just felt really awkward after that and i keep wondering if he'll ever see me in the same light again. He received it well, im just wondering if it was the proper way to tell him? or should i have just lied which would have been more convenient (which i cant by the way)...

it keeps nagging me and just feel really awkward.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with what you did, don't feel bad for him.

You were honest and I'm sure he will look at it as you doing him a favor..

However.. expect for be replaced or let go...

In my company once an employee shows me that they no longer have my company in their best interests they are normally terminated.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks @Art_Critic. you made me feel much better!

yes, when i said "he received it well" im sure he understood it as a form of resignation, and accepted. i was planning on resigning sometime next month but still finding the courage to tell him, now, i finally did in an unexpected way---during a meeting.. lol

I just wasn't sure if showing THAT much honesty was necessary, or detrimental to our relationship...

• Like 1

Yes you did the right thing. Your boss knows you are under paid and overworked so he was just sweet talking you with promises of a shiny future. I've seen this happen to a couple of friends of mine, where they accepted deplorable working situations all based on promises of someday being rewarded which never transpired.

However now you pretty much have to leave so I hope you were serious about quitting because now you will never be considered for advancement or promotions in that company.

• Author

Definitely! I was 100% sure of quitting. But just didnt know how or when to say it. It just came unexpectedly.

He just said he is saddened and hopes i could still work for atleast a year with him or longer... i already made him 'sad'.. i dont want to worsen it by sayng im out by the next month, but i pretty much have to...

If you were already prepared to quit soon then I think you did the right thing. If you hadn't been, I would have kept my mouth shut and try to work out the things I disliked about the current situation (i.e., department, hours, pay, etc.).