How can I be sure my memory stick is not being hacked, or its contents syphoned off in some way? Jargon-free responses welcome. Cheers

• Like 1
Shining One
How can I be sure my memory stick is not being hacked, or its contents syphoned off in some way? Jargon-free responses welcome. Cheers
The easiest method I can think of would involve using password-protected archive (ZIP) files. This way, even if your files are stolen, people won't be able to access them.
  • Like 3
The easiest method I can think of would involve using password-protected archive (ZIP) files. This way, even if your files are stolen, people won't be able to access them.

Yeah. Honestly, OP, the biggest security issue with USB sticks isn't usually that their contents get 'hacked' or 'siphoned off' - it's that people just tend to leave them around or misplace/lose them. Password-protected files solve this issue.

There are other ways like encryption, but I've never known anyone to encrypt a USB stick before, that's usually done on HDDs (probably because it's generally a bad idea to keep REALLY security-sensitive files on USB sticks...)

• Like 1
Shining One
There are other ways like encryption, but I've never known anyone to encrypt a USB stick before, that's usually done on HDDs (probably because it's generally a bad idea to keep REALLY security-sensitive files on USB sticks...)
I have a couple fully encrypted USB flash drives. They can only be used on certain computers at my office and at home, so their functionality is limited. We actually prevent people from writing to unencrypted flash drives at work.
  • Author

thanks but please explain step-by-step what to do, jargon-free

what is a ZIP?

what is a password protected archive?

and can you assure me that nothing has been syphoned off already?

Edited by darkmoon
GunslingerRoland

Consider not putting important files onto USB's ever. A lot of work places have policies about putting company files onto them, for the reason that they are so easy to lose.

• Like 1
Yeah. Honestly, OP, the biggest security issue with USB sticks isn't usually that their contents get 'hacked' or 'siphoned off' - it's that people just tend to leave them around or misplace/lose them. Password-protected files solve this issue.

You could encrypt individual files. There are free downloads like Celopatra that will do encryption. Basically you make a (private) key and will need that key to reopen the files.

If on a work computer, it's usually the networked and monitored so that is likely where someone would be able to access it on your work PC.

Mind-Chants

Folks here have already given good suggestions like file encryption, zip protection, freewares etc.

BUT all these are SOFTWARE ENCRYPTION (SE). SEs are nothing but proprietary algorithms. They depend on the operating system i.e. they use the computer resource for encryption. That means only as safe as long as your computer is safe. If you are in a open area network based system, your data is vulnerable. Also they require regular up-gradation to keep up with the new malware.

If data security is top concern for you, go for "HARDWARE ENCRYPTED (HE) USB DRIVE". HEs use a dedicated processor physically located on the encrypted drive. So the entire encryption and decryption process is controlled by physical system present in drive rather than software. Encryption is tied to the specific USB device, so encryption is “always on”. Cost factor - Higher than SE.

• Author

thank you, but can somebody just say where to click and what to click on my laptop?

I did say jargon-free! cheers

If you encrypt the drive, you're pretty safe. If you only attach it when disconnected from the internet, you're very safe (unless you copy the files to your machine and later go online where they could be hacked).

thank you, but can somebody just say where to click and what to click on my laptop?

I did say jargon-free! cheers

Gosh, the link I gave you has pictures that show you what to do! You really cannot expect to be spoonfed more than that... :confused: