Micro-managing boss driving me nuts

Hey everybody,

I need help with an issue I am going through and I appreciate all your input.

I've been at my current job for just about 10 years now, pretty much right out of high school. Lots has changed since I first started. We've moved location about 3 times, new managers, new co-workers, changes to our roles (way more work) and changes to corporate policies (took away corporate bonus, paid coffee and a few other minor things). Most of it has devalued my experience with the company. They just keep taking things away (although we've had a record breaking profit year after year of net $485million).

I can't say I don't like my job, I am certainly grateful...but in the last couple years I've been getting more and more bored and irritated, for other reasons then I am about to elude to. This office environment just doesn't suite me anymore, I kind of hate it. I won't say the company name but they are rated one of the top 10. Great pay, great people, full benefits, a wellness account and 5 weeks vacation per year. Easily the best job I've ever had. I've looked at a few other jobs but never really considered leaving because of how good I have it here.

I'm a knowledge thinker and every single year I've consistently exceeded my goals and for a guy with no post secondary my income is pretty darn good.

They reimburse my education and lately I've been working towards my

business analyst certification, two more classes to go! I have a baby on the way with my gf and they do offer paternity leave.

About a month ago we got a new manager. He was a former teammate. We got along pretty well up until he became the manager. My previous manager over 5+ years and I had a really close rapport...you see I am one of those guys who has an extremely hard time being on time. It's very very difficult for me, my concept of space and time is ****, I can never get it right. I try leaving earlier, something always comes up. I guess I have ADHD and get distracted really easily. I have sleep problems as well although with my new sleep apnea machine it's gotten much better. I even have all my clocks in my house and on my phone set a half hour ahead, and while that does help I am still nearly always 5-10 minutes late, but it's consistent and never more then that. I've been consistently 5-10 minutes later for many years and my previous manager understood me and allowed me to make up the time and I never fell behind my work nor intended to take advantage of anyone. This new manager and his new manager seem like the only two that are impacted by it, although I am sure it impacts the team (we are a customer facing helpdesk). What's worse is that the manager works so hard, coming early and staying late. His job is his life. I refuse to let my job be my life, heck I think people work way too hard!! The new manager feels he is not doing his job by letting it slide like all the others before. Not to toot my own horn but I am pretty damn talented, I don't deserve this and I am tired of feeling unappreciated. I never complain about others too!

The new manager is ticking me off. He micro-manages me like a hawk. Every day we have to have a "talk" about me being late, and lately he has threatened me with a performance review if it continues (which will dock pay). Frankly I am almost at wits end, prepared to quit. So obviously it's in my best interest to stay because of my pregnant gf, but I am increasingly unhappy and uncomfortable at work. I don't like coming in anymore. It's stressing me out and severely impacting my health.

Any ideas on what I can do? I've already started looking at other jobs. I would like to leave on a good note for the reference, but I'd also like to leave after I get reimbursed for my classes. Any ideas to help me be more on time would help too. Thanks for reading.

Edited by thecd
BreakOnThrough

When my employees have issue with attendance, for say medical reasons, I try and have them get something documented with HR, like medical documentation that states what the issue is and that it may impact their attendance. That way, we're all covered, no one can blame me for not enforcing attendance, and no one can blame my employees. Even if you go get something, he won't be able to mess with you anymore, or hold it against you.

Wow! That sounded like you were writing my story. Same deal. I've been with my company for almost 10 yrs. Great pay and benefits but over the past two years it's been more about taking things away from away from us. Always citing the economy as the reason, meanwhile the company continues to grow and expand and rake in millions. My position is boring and sometimes demoralizing.

Like you I have developed issues with sleeping. I can't sleep for more than two hours at a time and then I can't get back to sleep so everyday of work is just drudgery of too much coffee and trying to stay focused and alert. I do not have a problem with coming in late as I have always known that simply won't be tolerated. So no matter how tired I am I make sure I am present and ready to work right on time every day. I have witnessed too many long time employees getting pushed out the moment they encounter health issues or personal problems. The message is clear that an employee is only as good as their present performance regardless of how many years of loyal service that employee has given. They don't always outright fire people, sometimes they just put so much pressure on them and make their lives so unpleasant that the employee feels like they have no choice but to quit.

As already mentioned, get medical documentation of your condition and send it to HR. If your company is like mine then managers are judged by the performance of their team members. It doesn't look good for your manager to have someone who is consistently late. Sorry you are in this position. I feel your pain. I've pretty much just stopped looking to my job for personal happiness and accepted that any joy in my life will have to come from sources other than my job. I don't quit because the job pays enough and has benefits for me to be able to live the way I enjoy. I might be happier working somewhere else but the idea of struggling to make ends meet just doesn't appeal to me.

TheFinalWord
Hey everybody,

I need help with an issue I am going through and I appreciate all your input.

I've been at my current job for just about 10 years now, pretty much right out of high school. Lots has changed since I first started. We've moved location about 3 times, new managers, new co-workers, changes to our roles (way more work) and changes to corporate policies (took away corporate bonus, paid coffee and a few other minor things). Most of it has devalued my experience with the company. They just keep taking things away (although we've had a record breaking profit year after year of net $485million).

I can't say I don't like my job, I am certainly grateful...but in the last couple years I've been getting more and more bored and irritated, for other reasons then I am about to elude to. This office environment just doesn't suite me anymore, I kind of hate it. I won't say the company name but they are rated one of the top 10. Great pay, great people, full benefits, a wellness account and 5 weeks vacation per year. Easily the best job I've ever had. I've looked at a few other jobs but never really considered leaving because of how good I have it here.

I'm a knowledge thinker and every single year I've consistently exceeded my goals and for a guy with no post secondary my income is pretty darn good.

They reimburse my education and lately I've been working towards my

business analyst certification, two more classes to go! I have a baby on the way with my gf and they do offer paternity leave.

About a month ago we got a new manager. He was a former teammate. We got along pretty well up until he became the manager. My previous manager over 5+ years and I had a really close rapport...you see I am one of those guys who has an extremely hard time being on time. It's very very difficult for me, my concept of space and time is ****, I can never get it right. I try leaving earlier, something always comes up. I guess I have ADHD and get distracted really easily. I have sleep problems as well although with my new sleep apnea machine it's gotten much better. I even have all my clocks in my house and on my phone set a half hour ahead, and while that does help I am still nearly always 5-10 minutes late, but it's consistent and never more then that. I've been consistently 5-10 minutes later for many years and my previous manager understood me and allowed me to make up the time and I never fell behind my work nor intended to take advantage of anyone. This new manager and his new manager seem like the only two that are impacted by it, although I am sure it impacts the team (we are a customer facing helpdesk). What's worse is that the manager works so hard, coming early and staying late. His job is his life. I refuse to let my job be my life, heck I think people work way too hard!! The new manager feels he is not doing his job by letting it slide like all the others before. Not to toot my own horn but I am pretty damn talented, I don't deserve this and I am tired of feeling unappreciated. I never complain about others too!

The new manager is ticking me off. He micro-manages me like a hawk. Every day we have to have a "talk" about me being late, and lately he has threatened me with a performance review if it continues (which will dock pay). Frankly I am almost at wits end, prepared to quit. So obviously it's in my best interest to stay because of my pregnant gf, but I am increasingly unhappy and uncomfortable at work. I don't like coming in anymore. It's stressing me out and severely impacting my health.

Any ideas on what I can do? I've already started looking at other jobs. I would like to leave on a good note for the reference, but I'd also like to leave after I get reimbursed for my classes. Any ideas to help me be more on time would help too. Thanks for reading.

It sounds like this manager is not going to go anywhere soon.

Personally, I would not quit over this issue. You have it pretty good. If you can try to adapt, I would recommend that route. Maybe you can get a transfer or move to some other position within the company.

Is there anything you can do to start being on time? If it's only 5 to 10 minutes, I'm not sure I understand why you can't adjust something to get there on time.

I almost could swear we work for the same person. We just recently got a new manger and he has destroyed everything about the place I work out. Before him we had the most amazing manager. I have accepted that we are stuck with a horrible human being for a boss and my choices are to be miserable every day all day or to find a new job.

So I wish I had some advice for you but sadly you are going to have to decide if this horrible manager is worth staying at a job you otherwise love. For me I decided for my sanity and health I need to look elsewhere. Part of me is hoping he will leave before I find something so I can stay, but I know that is unrealistic thinking.

As for being on time, could you set you clocks 10-15 minutes ahead and start your alarm going off earlier?

you sound like your own worst enemy, you do not hold any high cards here, please, you need to understand this and co-operate with your boss, not p*ss him off, or he has grounds to say goodbye to you

Hello,

First a reality check :

You have to understand that in the world of corporate business, everyone is replacable, even if you're good, even if you've been at it for 10 years, even if you exceed your objectives...

The education system throws up thousands of clones of you every year, teeth raking the ground, ready to take your spot for a cheaper pay to prove their worth.

You're in a position of weakness here.

You're late at your job and your current manager doesn't appreciate this lack of discipline. You will not change him, he will not suddenly realize what a bright element you are and excuse your constant delay. That's his personnality at play here.

You have to find a solution to arrive on time and lay low for a while, otherwise your anxiety at work will increase, and your manager will increase the pressure until you break or he finds a reason to fire you.

When you're an employee in a big corporation, you have no choice but to respect the rules, or leave.

• Like 1

What I have found in the corporate would it's often how well your boss and others above you like you than your true performance. If your new management is thinking this poorly towards you and it's not something you are able or willing to improve on then you're not going to go anywhere.

Since you had such a long tenure and previously good reviews, are there any other managers you could move under? Are there any other coworkers who left recently leaving some open headcount in the budget? This is usually how I have dealt with bad managers in the corporate would when I don't want to move companies. I have just talked to those managers about working for them when I know they have room budgeted.

PegNosePete
Every day we have to have a "talk" about me being late

Any ideas on what I can do?

Don't be late.

Stop making excuses. Either change, or find a job where lateness is acceptable.

• Like 1
Don't be late.

Stop making excuses. Either change, or find a job where lateness is acceptable.

That is where I am with reading your post, if it was the occasional being late or being late because of medical issues then it would be no big deal but to be late all the time and consistently late you are really showing that you don't care about your job.

The very least you could do for work is show up on time, a customer facing service position and being late means someone else has to pick up the slack while you are not there.

Try readjusting your nightly schedule and get up a half hour earlier, showing up on time will go a long way with the new manager and get them off your back, hopefully...

FYI, there is nothing worse than to have an employee who comes in late but always has their morning breakfast/coffee in hand.

They have the time to get it on the way to work but don't come in on time, then they eat the breakfast on the clock while sitting at their desk.

Sitting at their desk eating breakfast is no biggie but they come in late all the time.

I'm one for sorting out tardiness too. It's isn't just your boss, it's your peers too. They pick up on it and they talk. If you need to leave early every now and then, it's noted especially.

Don't be your own enemy, sort out your timing.

• Like 1
The_Onceler

Also bear in mind that your new manager is just that, new. He is likely uncomfortable with his new role, and anxious to do well. Also, he is likely going to be evaluated based on metrics such as, do his direct reports arrive at work on time?

Oh, and as others have said - you might also just try getting to work on time. In this particular case, if you make an effort and start arriving on time or early on a regular basis, it might sway your new manager to see you in a more positive light, you know, as a 'team player'?

Considering that you *are* customer facing and providing a direct support service, it is understandable that you are expected to be present on time. People and schedules depend on your presence and timely response. It may be that your old manager felt comfortable with your tardiness within the context of the operation of the entire support team, but clearly, your new manager does not.

In my house, we set the clocks in our bedroom 10 minutes ahead. It sounds silly, but it helps.

• Like 2