Refusing to Provide School Transcripts for Job?

Have any of you managed to avoid providing school transcripts for a job that asked for them? I'm being recruited for a new job. They contacted me. It's a senior position and I'm several years out of school with ample work experience in the industry.

According to the partner I've spoken with, I'm a shoe-in for this job but I still need to go through the formalities - send resume, meet with management...and provide my fkn school transcripts. :o

I've spent the last near decade since I graduated building a pretty impressive skill set and resume. I worked my way up to being a top exec at my current company. But my gpa is an embarrassment, tbh. Even if I got this job, I wouldn't want to start out with my superiors knowing what it was.

So...any advice on how to get around it or politely refuse to submit it?

Check if your school's registrar office provides a one page degree verification document that officially confirms the alum's exact degree and completion date, without every course detailed.

• Like 3
  • Author

Hey, thanks a lot for your suggestion. I'm not sure if that'll be enough if they specifically ask to see my grades...

get the transcript and send it. Its a formality.

How transparent you are in applying says alot about your upper executive skills in a career. Unless its in politics for which then you are golden for conveniently evading the request.

Put aside your concerns and let them decide.

• Like 1

I'd think that refusing to comply with their requirements would be the one tiny thing that might disqualify you for the position. On the one hand, showing that you've come a long way since college can be a really good thing. It shows you're a hard worker, self-aware, and willing to improve yourself- those are strong qualities.

I feel like employers ask for transcripts just to verify that you completed your degree...I don't think they generally care so much about your GPA.

• Like 2

I think it's best not to try to hide your transcript.

You're not fresh out of college, they did recruit you after all, which must be based on your experience and current actual work in the field rather than your college gpa.

That said, I'd be transparent, and in the interview if they bring up your gpa, admit why it was faulty and emphasize how far you've come since. But trying to decline or go around it will simply seem very sketchy. I doubt they will be basing their decision on your college gpa at this point; however, you refusing them it may be what bites you in the butt instead.

• Like 2
  • Author

Ughhhh.

Definitely not what I wanted to hear, but I really appreciate everyone's input. Maybe I can have a discussion with the partner before hand...to brace her. ?

3-4 years after school I was never asked for my transcripts or grades again. However I had certificates and licenses that I would not be able to have without a degree. I was sometimes asked to furnish proof of my professional license which made sense.

However there has been some notable fraud in the world - and if having a degree is part of the reason your getting the position (senior role) I could see asking for proof of a degree - and just using the word "transcripts" as the method.

3-4 years after school I was never asked for my transcripts or grades again. However I had certificates and licenses that I would not be able to have without a degree. I was sometimes asked to furnish proof of my professional license which made sense.

However there has been some notable fraud in the world - and if having a degree is part of the reason your getting the position (senior role) I could see asking for proof of a degree - and just using the word "transcripts" as the method.

They don't need to see the actual transcripts to obtain that proof.

Most companies conduct background checks now.

When they request the background check from whatever source they use, all they need do is check the box that reads "education."

Everything shows up in the background check. Where you went to school, when you graduated and what degrees(s) were obtained.

I learned a long time ago that companies that make prospective employees jump through hoops during the hiring process are a nightmare to work for.

The jumping through hoops will continue once you start your job... I nearly had a breakdown working for one such company, who by the way also required I submit transcripts.

Edited by katiegrl
major_merrick
They don't need to see the actual transcripts to obtain that proof.

Most companies conduct background checks now.

When they request the background check from whatever source they use, all they need do is check the box that reads "education."

Everything shows up in the background check. Where you went to school, when you graduated and what degrees(s) were obtained.

I learned a long time ago that companies that make prospective employees jump through hoops during the hiring process are a nightmare to work for.

The jumping through hoops will continue once you start your job... I nearly had a breakdown working for one such company, who by the way also required I submit transcripts.

This is some good advice. Asking for your transcripts after years of working in a field is kind of odd. I would submit proof of your degree that doesn't involve your grades. If it doesn't work, they can always ask your for transcripts again, in which case you can send the documents in totality or start looking for something else.

Art_Critic

Why would you want to try and skirt around a direct request from a prospective employer ?

Either provide what they ask (Providing it is legal) or move on from this position.

They have their reasons for asking and it isn't up to the people applying to decide what they need for their position.

If you don't get the job after you submitted the transcripts then consider them a waste of time, but right now they must at the very least consider you worthy since this step is a step that they are eyeing you for the position and showing they at the very least consider you a fit right now.

Good Luck

Mind-Chants

GPA matters in employment immediately after graduation (first few years). Since you have mentioned that you have considerable experience and good recommendations, nobody really cares how much GPA you got.

Plus a person recruiting for a senior level is mature enough to understand that theories taught during graduation only provides the baseline for your career. It's the experience and your past performances that would matter the most.

And lastly they may look like formalities, but those documents are important for HR process audit. They have to show the documents verifying claims.

I had a less than sterling GPA in college (let's just say I had other things on my mind most of the time :p) but it never tripped me up professionally since I had the degree anyway. fwiw