I am going back into the job search and have been called by four recruiters. I always let to calls go to voice mail because I've applied for so many jobs that I don't want to seem unprepared by a cold call interview. Once they leave a message, I find the position, research it and prepare. I always call them within 2 hours to 12 hours, leave my name and number but, they never call back and mark not hired on the online job application. Is this norm now for recruiters? Do they reject applicants now that don't answer when they call for a cold call pre-screen interview?

WhatYouWantToHear

Recruiting is a numbers game, and you are but one number to them. Why waste time telling all submitted candidates that they have been not hired when they can be making calls to try and fill more positions which actually makes them money?

THey probably think that you are an ok match for a job, but not a great one. So why spend more effort on someone who will ultimately not get the job than they need to? They try once, don't get you and then move on to the next job/candidate. If you were a great match for a job, they would hound you.

I'll offer an alternative perspective, one offered by friends, now retired, who are mid-level millionaires, meaning they were pretty successful in life and had many, many employees.

1. When my phone rings in their presence, the comment most often heard is 'that's the sound of money'.

2. If I don't answer, the comment often heard is 'Well, they just went to the next vendor's number'.

Now, I'm not saying they're right but I can reflect upon how that philosophy of communication worked out for them in life.

IMO, if you're into a job classification, any cold call interview should be welcomed, and with fervor. In my industry, no journeyman would be considered who couldn't immediately and with confidence delve into the nuances of the job description, and their ability to think outside the box would be a plus. I understand that things may be different in other industries but 'want to' is an important message to convey to a prospective employer. That doesn't mean that employer will be 'the one' but rather that the desire is there. Otherwise, why search for a job?

• Author

Thanks for the feedback. I have a general idea of the screening questions so I'll document my answers and always keep a copy handy for when the calls come in.

How do you know it is marked not hired? I don't know of any online boards that have that feature. It maybe on someone's ATS but that would be internal.

I can't speak for entry level recruiters (they are really about quantity over quality) but for other recruiters they leave messages and wait for a call back. I have been cold called/messaged numerous times via my Linked In profile and haven't had an issue when I have contacted the recruiter back.

• Author

Most companies that use Taleo as their recruitment application will have updates for a job you applied for if you setup an account. I am using the app internally through my company and it will update with not hired, not under consideration or withdraw.

It is a great and sometimes undervalued skill to be able to sell yourself at the drop of a hat. Yes it takes practice but you need to have 4-5 lines ready for recruiters and you have to be able to answer questions that you don't expect. The same thing will happen at an interview! They can catch you completely unprepared for something and you will just freeze or blab if you have no clue how to handle it.

Most recruiters ask very similar questions. Really the best policy is just to be friendly on the phone, chat them up a bit, ask them how they are. Use your interpersonal skills.

They won't expect you to know anything about a company they are mentioning the first time.

Learning to think on your feet is absolutely essential.

• Like 1
It is a great and sometimes undervalued skill to be able to sell yourself at the drop of a hat. Yes it takes practice but you need to have 4-5 lines ready for recruiters and you have to be able to answer questions that you don't expect. The same thing will happen at an interview! They can catch you completely unprepared for something and you will just freeze or blab if you have no clue how to handle it.

Most recruiters ask very similar questions. Really the best policy is just to be friendly on the phone, chat them up a bit, ask them how they are. Use your interpersonal skills.

They won't expect you to know anything about a company they are mentioning the first time.

Learning to think on your feet is absolutely essential.

99.5% of interview questions boil down to just one thing:

" what makes you the best candidate for this job?"

Maybe it's the industry I'm in but I've never had this issue when HR-based recruiters call as long as I call back in a reasonable amount of time. They typically call during working hours so they get not everyone is going to be available and able to talk all the time because they have a job.

I've seen some issues like this with outside recruiters though. Usually they are like sales people (and if you meet with enough of them they talk like it too). The majority of them often are only available if you are potentially useful to them at the moment. The second they don't have a position for you or a client rules you out they tend to be hard to get hold of.

Most companies that use Taleo as their recruitment application will have updates for a job you applied for if you setup an account. I am using the app internally through my company and it will update with not hired, not under consideration or withdraw.

That would be a configuration for them. They don't necessarily have updates that would say those things. So these are all internal positions you are applying for? That is a totally different issue if internal recruiters aren't contacting you back. That I don't have an answer for. We would have all internal candidates get priority interviewing and feedback if not hired on developmental areas to focus.

What is the difference between not hired and not under consideration?

What is the difference between not hired and not under consideration?

Difference is in getting your resume past the recruiter to the manager's desk.