Sending a cover letter though e-mail

JustGettingBy

When a place asks for both a resume and cover letter to be sent via e-mail do you think its a better idea to:

a) send both the resume and cover letter as attachments

or

b) send the resume as an attachment and have the cover letter be the body of the e-mail

losangelena
When a place asks for both a resume and cover letter to be sent via e-mail do you think its a better idea to:

a) send both the resume and cover letter as attachments

or

b) send the resume as an attachment and have the cover letter be the body of the e-mail

Both as attachments.

• Like 1
PegNosePete

I guess it depends on the company.

The company I work for, a small tech company, would prefer the cover letter in the email body so it can easily be read without the hassle of opening Word, and the resume as an attachment that can be printed and taken into the interview.

A more traditional or larger company who may print the cover letter off, would probably prefer it as an attachment.

Has to be attachments (in PDF format so it retains all your personalizations) bc email programs can do all random manner or crap to pasted text, and not just on the sending end. What you send may look totally diff to what someone sees on their screen. So unless you're fine with amateur hour type

DEAR

<br>

<sir

-or Madam </p>attached please

_

_

_

_<colorref=#rfdcct0>

_

_

find the requested

resume

and business ref

erences fo

r

stuff, PDF and attach that thing.

• Like 1

Resume via an attachment but the cover letter should be an email.

Otherwise the cover letter will look like a standard cover letter.

It will look better if your cover letter looks is specific to the company.

If you copy and paste the majority of the cover letter make sure to check and double check it for any issues just like Jen mentioned above.

PegNosePete
DEAR

<br>

<sir

_

_

_

_<colorref=#rfdcct0>

_

_

find the requested

resume

and business ref

erences fo

r

stuff, PDF and attach that thing.

Then what do you write int he email body? Just "PSA" is way too informal, so...

DEAR

<br>

<sir

_

_

_

_<colorref=#rfdcct0>

_

_

find the requested

cover letter and resume

and business ref

erences fo

r

You still look like a numpty who can't write a legible email...

Then what do you write int he email body? Just "PSA" is way too informal, so...

You still look like a numpty who can't write a legible email...

Nah, PSA is fine. Or if you really want to dress it up you can add "Hi ____, PSA." The ppl who process those things generally aren't looking to get a warm glow of fellowship from your e-mail, it's pretty much all business.

I don't know if it really matters, but I prefer them to be attachments because I like to print them all out and staple them together and i makes a better presentation that way, email would have all the header info printed and won't look as good printed.

I know it is digital but in a company like ours we print them out for the group interviews we give, that way each employee has a copy to refer to during the interview.

ETA, when doing your resume print it out and make sure it is formatted properly to fit on a page, nothing looks worse than having a page go over 2 pages of paper.

• Like 1
RecentChange

Always submit in PDF form. You do not want various versions of Word etc messing with the formatting when opened - and that way you are guaranteed our pagination etc stays consistent.

And yes, of course the cover letter should be specific to the company you are contacting - and in my experience, should be a separate PDF.

As for the email - how did you hear about the job / what prompted sending the resume?

If you are applying because you saw a posting - say that, if you are following up on a phone call - there ya go, mention that:

Hello,

Pursuant to our phone conversation on _____, attached, please find my cover letter and resume.

Thank you for the opportunity and I very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

Recent Change

555-1212

[email protected]

• Author
JustGettingBy

Seems like attachments in pdf forms is the consensus.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Also, always beware typos and auto-correct!

Hello,

Pursuant to our phone convocation on _____, attached, please find my cover letter and recipe.

Thank you for the ophthalmologist and I very much look forward to hiring from you soon.

Recent Change

555-1212

[email protected]