Changing behaviours to be even more full potential

This is a weird situation and I wasn't sure to post here, or with another section, as it's about behaviour.

Since I started working at my job, I have had an indefinite contract, a raise, and this all in 10 months.

I work very hard, and I am really ambitious to make things work.

On the work floor, I am very bubbly and outgoing, I talk a lot and I laugh a lot.

Have a good relationship with almost all my co-workers.

I really have the work hard play hard mentality and it is fine with everyone.

BUT, I sometimes get the feeling, that if I were a bit more serious and business minded and only joke and "be bubbly" during lunches, it might help becoming even MORE successful and also change people's perspective of me.

Sounds weird, but I do not want them to think, just because I laugh and play all the time, that my work and success comes easy to me. I work very hard.

Of course I am talking about my managers at this point.

I know it might sounds weird, but I'm sometimes scared that they might perceive me as the 'kid in the office' eventhough I'm 29.

Think I am just trying to be perceived more of an authority, matching with my successes at work. Somehow I have the feelings that I will be even more successful, also regarding acknowledgement in the eyes of others.

I don't really know how to explain, but to make a long story short;

Being bubbly, fun filled and talkative seems to cover the actual talent and hard work that is behind a person's success...

Could this be true? What do you guys think of it?

Being bubbly, fun filled and talkative seems to cover the actual talent and hard work that is behind a person's success...

Certainly can!

There is a time and a place for bubbly and talkative behaviour and a time and a place or professionalism too.

It's good to have a good rapport but it can also lose you professional respect, not only from Managers but also from the colleagues you have good rapport with actually.

People may start wondering if your eye is on the ball and whether you have enough work to do.

It can also affect others in that they can't concentrate on their work.

I sit close to 4 ladies at work, 3 of whom chatter throughout the day about TV, diets, celebrities, you name it.

The 4th lady recently went off sick for 2 weeks - she had a mini breakdown due to work stress simply because of being unable to concentrate.

I am luckily slightly separated from their bank of 4 desks but I also mostly listen to music, radio, podcasts and audio books with my headset all day. Sometimes though the maximum volume is not enough to drown out the chatter.

The one who was off sick approached me while she was away to ask for suggestions of the various things I listen to. It's helping her so far but it's still an issue for her as it is for me.

Our boss often comments upon the level of chatter but each time it is taken as a humourous comment rather than something that should be addressed. He sits much further away though so is unaware of how intense it is sometimes.

Myself and the other lady do interject and will join in on the chats on occasion but both of us also know when to stop, get our heads down and do the work we are paid to do. The other 3 miss deadlines, make a lot of mistakes and often work a lot of unpaid extra hours to catch up with their work. As yet none of them have figured out that if they chattered less they would likely get their work done without needing to work early or late so regularly.

People have lives, wives and mortgages. Most time I like the sanity of work where I can just get my head down and get on with my job. Working within a close knit team of thirty+, one of the lads getting large/boisterous when one has no appetite for it can seriously mar the day. It could be seen as gamesmanship by a high climber trying to put you off. Be discrete, a still tongue keeps a wise head.

+

Well... I'm bubbly too.

This is what happens: most people initially think I'm just this fun and funny woman, that is, until... boom. I hit them with my strategic and innovative mind.

They are usually surprised and start to respect me... but it does happen later, not right away. Might take a few months actually.

But, I won't change who I am in nature and become someone else only to impress people right from the start. I know it works differently the way I gain respect, and I'm kind of fine with it.