Horrible Anxiety about New Job

I'm a 25 year old grad student and I just got hired at a burger place for the summer. Tomorrow is my first day and I'm having horrible anxiety.

I've worked many fast food jobs and either got fired or quit because they're just all around awful environments to work in imo. And all of the standing took a toll on my knees. Now I have to wear a new brace when I work out or if I'm going to be standing for a long time.

During the school year for the past 2 years, I've worked as a TA teaching my own class of college freshmen. It's a very flexible job that I enjoy, but it pays crap and I can't teach in the summer.

I don't have a car so my options are very limited. In my head, I know I probably need this job, or A job, but I'm so stressed about it. I've always had social anxiety, but If I go out every once in awhile, it's not too bad. But this past semester, I've spent a lot of time in my apartment alone.

It sounds crazy, but it feels like I've forgotten how to be a social person, the right moments to nod and smile and shake hands. Like a delayed reaction. I went out to a farewell dinner with friends I hadn't seen in a couple of weeks and I was like a zombie. I didn't really talk at all. I just didn't have the willpower to act normal and have conversations because I'm so used to being alone with my dog (which I honestly enjoy most of the time. I don't like big groups).

Now I feel like this is going to either get me fired because I'll be acting weird at work or I'll just have some type of mental freakout every night before work or eventually quit. Any advice on how I can keep this job and not fall apart because of the anxiety?

• Like 1

Just remember that "it is only burgers...."

Seriously - a burger job isn't something you should have that much anxiety over.

• Like 1
  • Author

Seriously - a burger job isn't something you should have that much anxiety over.

Doesn't matter if I "should" have anxiety or not, most people don't choose to feel social anxiety, they just do.

• Like 2
Doesn't matter if I "should" have anxiety or not, most people don't choose to feel social anxiety, they just do.

Point taken. I'm just trying to lighten the anxiety with the mindset that it isn't rocket science and no one will die if you get a burger wrong.

• Like 1

Tell yourself that you will be able to cope when you are there in that situation:

"I'm nervous about this, but when I'm there I'll be able to cope with it."

Say that to yourself every time the anxiety comes up.

Take care.

whichwayisup

Try doing some yoga and deep breathing/meditation/visualization. I get what you're feeling and doing the above really is helpful.

Have you ever done CBT? this type of therapy is aimed for those with anxiety and phobias, depression etc.

As for work, it's normal to be nervous your first day and hopefully there will be someone you connect with, someone who makes you feel at ease to help you feel a bit safer and calm.

Many people have social anxiety, the best way to deal with it is to face it head on and expose yourself to situations that make you feel uncomfortable. Isolating only makes it worse.

Hey if this job doesn't work, find another job that isn't in the fast food field. Some ideas: Flower shop (arranging flowers), clothing store, or another kind of retail.

Some people cannot help it.

I am one of those people.

I suffered extreme anxiety waiting tables and flipping burgers.

You have to understand - flipping burgers and serving people food is usually utterly horrible, back breaking work. It is just awful - it pays minimum wage for a good reason - it is a job NO ONE actually wants to do.

I also got super anxious and got fired or quit the burger jobs I had. I found that having to deal with LARGE groups of people constantly to be vomit inducing. I am perfectly pleasant in small groups but it is honestly torture for me to be in those settings that hospitality based roles dictate.

It is really is not for everyone - you have to move very very fast, constantly, for up to 8 hours without sitting down AND deal with large groups of people at the same time. I hated it, it was total, utter drudgery.

I feel sick just thinking about it.

I opted to save a little prior to Uni and to get government grants personally. I would rather be broke than work in a burger place in my 20s.