No Interviews Even When Qualified

SensitiveTJ

Hi all. For a bit of background, I am late 20s, professional with a Master's degree (2014). I last had a full time position in my field in the last half of 2014, got laid off, and have been working part-time ever since. I'm frustrated because I can't seem to get anything going as far as even interviews for full positions, despite having what I believe are good qualifications. And before anyone says it-I'm aware that the world doesn't owe me anything, including interviews. This is about why it's happening and how to fix it. I want to explain the two situations which are frustrating me at the moment.

1) My degree is in secondary education, so middle-and high-school teaching. My content area is not in high demand and the supply of new teachers is quite large. It's very competitive, for that reason. I've applied to 80% of the school districts in my state since I got laid off and I haven't gotten any interest whatsoever. I've been making ends meet by working as a "full-time substitute teacher" for a local district but the pay is poor and no benefits. I was furious at the beginning of April because I was not selected to interview for an open position in this very district. Obviously no one around here thinks very highly of me, to my chagrin. My degree is from a respected graduate school ranked in the top 30 in the country, and I have had my resume/application materials looked over by several people I trust. I'm at the point where I'm considering abandoning teaching because it's just not happening, but that would be a sad waste of time and money.

2) This spring, I also applied to several positions for a university administrator in housing+res life. Hall director type positions, for those of you who have been to college. I worked as an RA for three years at my undergrad and always received positive performance reviews. In these positions, a Masters degree is looked at as a bonus which puts the applicant over the minimum qualifications. So, the way I see it, I have a desirable degree plus experience. Yet, out of 8 positions at different colleges I applied for, no response-not even from my undergrad! I don't get it.

To summarize-I'm having difficulty getting my career back on track despite having a lot going for me, in terms of the right degree, etc. I'm not sure in what direction to go, if I should keep waiting for something to happen or switch careers entirely away from education-related stuff. I would appreciate any feedback, comments, or advice. And again-I get it that I'm not owed anything by the world, and I'm also aware that the common denominator in all these issues is me, of course. The issue is what to do about it and in what direction to go from here on out.

Thanks to all who choose to comment, and have a nice day.

I get where your frustration comes from.

My son is "over qualified" in his teaching degrees. Masters and summa cum laude. Had he of known that to get such upfront was a deterrent he would have followed the standard school district criteria. Be under educated and they pay the courses each summer. He did the three years as a sub, endured each rejection by the districts and listened to the district supervisor. He was a shoe in for a district 11th grade English .. Class. til The Teachers Union decided they wanted a "diverse" Teacher... And so .. He lost his chance. Two months later, a class that he was subbing for got word that the English teacher needed to relocate. And he got the permanent position.

I do not for one second think you are deserving of anything less then accolades for achieving your degree and willing to plug away at the system. It's seriously flawed though in how they choose...

So what I can tell you is simple, while you are applying, see if there is a skill from that degree that can be utilized? My son had chosen to work part time doing journalism for some local business's . it kept his writing skills going and permitted him experiences...

I'm puzzled by your "I know nobody owes me" comments. Why would you assume your reading audience would draw that conclusion? Maybe that's what people are sensing about you (that instant, unprovoked defensiveness) and that's why the doors aren't opening up for you? I don't know, just a wild guess based on my very first impression of you through what you posted. I do know one has to have a really thick skin around kids - they can be incredibly cruel.

Other than that, you're not the only one out there struggling. Not by a long shot. A lot of it depends on the industry and it sounds like yours is overcrowded already. If I were you I would start looking into other industries that have positions related to your teaching background, like Training Instructor for a corporation. Call up a couple of temp agencies that are active in your area, and see what they say about matching you with jobs they do have available. At the very least it could give you some great ideas about where to branch-out, and at the most it could lead to your dream job.

Good luck, and don't give up! You'll get there.

• Author
SensitiveTJ
I'm puzzled by your "I know nobody owes me" comments. Why would you assume your reading audience would draw that conclusion? Maybe that's what people are sensing about you (that instant, unprovoked defensiveness) and that's why the doors aren't opening up for you? I don't know, just a wild guess based on my very first impression of you through what you posted. I do know one has to have a really thick skin around kids - they can be incredibly cruel.

Other than that, you're not the only one out there struggling. Not by a long shot. A lot of it depends on the industry and it sounds like yours is overcrowded already. If I were you I would start looking into other industries that have positions related to your teaching background, like Training Instructor for a corporation. Call up a couple of temp agencies that are active in your area, and see what they say about matching you with jobs they do have available. At the very least it could give you some great ideas about where to branch-out, and at the most it could lead to your dream job.

Good luck, and don't give up! You'll get there.

I apologize for emphasizing that part of my emotional state. I've been under a lot of pressure from my mother, who seems to think not getting the jobs is "my fault". I've been telling her for years that I can't make employers choose me, but it falls on deaf ears. She's been abusive throughout my whole life in this way. I don't bring that around the workplace, though. I do believe getting in touch with some placement agencies is a solid idea which I will pursue. I appreciate your comments. :)

• Author
SensitiveTJ
Have you hired a professional resume writer?

I have not, though I would consider it. I think my resume/cover letters/etc. are fairly strong, though. That was part of my graduate program-developing your professional portfolio, supervised by actual school administrators.

I apologize for emphasizing that part of my emotional state. I've been under a lot of pressure from my mother, who seems to think not getting the jobs is "my fault". I've been telling her for years that I can't make employers choose me, but it falls on deaf ears. She's been abusive throughout my whole life in this way. I don't bring that around the workplace, though. I do believe getting in touch with some placement agencies is a solid idea which I will pursue. I appreciate your comments. :)

No worries. Your mother doesn't speak for the rest of the world. Don't absorb it! Put a block on her. (meaning, mentally block her from influencing your outlook and self-perception... not put a brick on her head) :D:D

In your travels while subbing, have you found any Principals who may be open to mentoring you?

How many years total of teaching experience do you have? I'm not sure about where you live, but in CA teaching jobs are all about connections. The past ten years it's been impossible for most people to get teaching jobs unless they go into a subject that's in high demand (you mention your credential is not) and/or make good relationships with Principals and other faculty while student teaching and subbing. One of my friends was pink slipped four years in a row while CA had budget shortfalls. Before you completely toss your degree in the garbage, it's better to get a multi-subject teaching credential or get a credential in a subject that is in high demand. I know a guy who wanted to be a PE teacher and it's taken him ten years. I know English and History are flooded but there's a shortage of science teachers.

Do you get feedback from students, teachers, or anyone in the district you're in? You mention that they don't like you, yet you've been working there for two years now....if people don't like you in your district then of course they won't offer you a permanent opening. At all costs, the most basic thing you need to do to be successful is make sure people like you.

Start looking nationwide go where new schools are being built ....obviously your in a bad region.

• Author
SensitiveTJ
How many years total of teaching experience do you have? I'm not sure about where you live, but in CA teaching jobs are all about connections. The past ten years it's been impossible for most people to get teaching jobs unless they go into a subject that's in high demand (you mention your credential is not) and/or make good relationships with Principals and other faculty while student teaching and subbing. One of my friends was pink slipped four years in a row while CA had budget shortfalls. Before you completely toss your degree in the garbage, it's better to get a multi-subject teaching credential or get a credential in a subject that is in high demand. I know a guy who wanted to be a PE teacher and it's taken him ten years. I know English and History are flooded but there's a shortage of science teachers.

Do you get feedback from students, teachers, or anyone in the district you're in? You mention that they don't like you, yet you've been working there for two years now....if people don't like you in your district then of course they won't offer you a permanent opening. At all costs, the most basic thing you need to do to be successful is make sure people like you.

Well, when I mentioned that they "don't like me" I was alluding mostly to the fact that I didn't get an interview in this district I'm working in now. People are very nice to me and I believe I am well liked by staff and administration, but clearly they don't see a future for me here as a full teacher.

GunslingerRoland

A prestigious degree is good for getting your foot in the door, but really it's your experience that will more than anything else define how many job offers you get. A good substitute will impress the principal at a school and often get offers like that.

Also I know in some school districts teachers automatically get thousands more in annual salary if they have a masters degree. This can sometimes discourage schools from hiring teachers with advanced degrees as you have to pay significantly more out of your budget to fill the same job.

Why would you get a masters to be a public school teacher? That seems like such a waste. If you live in an area with an over supply of teachers then you need connections to get in. You need to seriously consider expanding your search area nationwide if you need to. The longer you are out of the field the less desirable you are and just a degree will not make up for that.

• Like 2
Well, when I mentioned that they "don't like me" I was alluding mostly to the fact that I didn't get an interview in this district I'm working in now. People are very nice to me and I believe I am well liked by staff and administration, but clearly they don't see a future for me here as a full teacher.

You need to ask for feedback. There's a reason that they'd rather interview people they don't know. If you are well liked, then it makes no sense why they wouldn't interview you for the opening.

• Author
SensitiveTJ
Why would you get a masters to be a public school teacher? That seems like such a waste. If you live in an area with an over supply of teachers then you need connections to get in. You need to seriously consider expanding your search area nationwide if you need to. The longer you are out of the field the less desirable you are and just a degree will not make up for that.[/quote

In my state, a master's degree is required to retain a position as a schoolteacher. Assuming you get hired with your bachelors, you have 3 years to complete an M.A. or you get let go. That's why a lot of people in my area just get the M.A. first.

• Like 2
angel.eyes

First, I love your attitude! Rather than tossing your hands up and giving up, you're doing your best to find a job and look for new ideas to make this happen. Kudos on that!

Full-time teachers in my region often seem to get their jobs through connections, friends, and word of mouth since there is such a glut of teachers. Are you socializing with other teachers? Friends with them outside the work environment? Do you have a school principal who has taken you under his or her wing and could be a mentor? Or is it simply that co-workers are surface-friendly in the workspace? If it's the latter, that's just being polite and professional. Given a choice, people prefer to work with those they like. Principals and department chairs are going to advocate for those candidates with whom they are personally engaged. Work on building relationships with others where you sub.

Second, how much actual teaching experience do you have? If you're a recent graduate, are you eligible for a program like Teach for America?

Are you willing to relocate to a part of the country where teachers are in demand? Would you consider related jobs outside of middle and high school? How about full-time teaching in elementary school? Or corporate training positions? I would broaden the scope of positions you consider and geography, unless there is a compelling reason that prevents you moving.

If I understood you correctly, you picked a field that isn't in demand. Would you consider teaching in a different field? Would you be open to supplement your current qualifications with certifications in a field that is in greater demand?

Are you using the career center and career counseling services at your college and grad school? Make sure you are aware of and using all the resources they have available for their graduates.

With respect to Residence Hall Directors, some schools only consider their own college graduates for those types of positions. I also don't see that position having much long-term potential. Do you envision being 40, married, and raising a family in a dorm environment? What doors would it open in terms of moving you forward in your chosen career as a teacher? From my perspective, it seems to fail on both fronts.

Bottom line:

• Focus more on building professional connections.
  • Broaden the range of positions and locations you consider.

Best of luck!