Is this professional behavior for a boss?

Hello everyone, I've been hiding reading a ton of posts for awhile and finally came up with the courage to post on my own in helps for some advice. I've read countless threads about boss/coworker relationships and it seems there are quite a few out there that are in the same boat as me. Anywho, this is my issue - last week one of the managers in our office threw a very elaborate birthday celebration for one of her subordinates.

She stayed late the night before decorating the office with hundreds of balloons and decorations, took the time to ensure everyone from the office signed the birthday cards (About 100 people), treated to lunch and then to top it off had surprise birthday cake. Now, from afar I know this manager and the subordinate are very very close (Some have rumored that they are too close if you know what I mean). The manager is married and the subordinate is engaged. Were her actions over the top?

Since this bday celebration, the whispers around the water cooler have increased about the two of them. Some have said, she was wayy unprofessional for doing all of that and she has to be sleeping with him, why else would she do so much for a guy that works for her? I guess when there is a woman and a man involve people automatically think the worse. I personally, think it was cool she did all of that. I also don't think its a problem that they are so close, there is a mutual respect there, but then again, if i were on their team and I wasn't the one getting a bday celebration, I might be a little skeptical.

What do y'all think?

I think it would be best if you simply kept your nose out of their business. Nothing good will come of speculating over other people's sex lives.

Unless the manager does this for everybody it is inappropriate. That said if it doesn't directly concern you stay out of it. If you are really that annoyed, get a new job at a different company

• Like 3

Hi Tommy: You're going to run into a lot of these types of situations in life. Not much you can really do about it.

Is it unprofessional? Perhaps but if I were you I'd stay out of it.

People (including you and I) tend to sometimes give that certain someone in our life a little extra attention. Your boss is still a human being and not above acting like a fool from time to time.

• Author
Hi Tommy: You're going to run into a lot of these types of situations in life. Not much you can really do about it.

Is it unprofessional? Perhaps but if I were you I'd stay out of it.

People (including you and I) tend to sometimes give that certain someone in our life a little extra attention. Your boss is still a human being and not above acting like a fool from time to time.

I hear ya. Luckily, it isn't my boss haha. I am just watching from afar. My friend who works for her, however, should take this advice. I relayed this message to him, but his response was, "She has that certain someone already! - Her husband!" He also that his boss gave the subordinate another birthday gift today. One week later. I told my friend just to ignore it all and unless it affects your work, shut yo' mouth! :D