Grad school acceptance

redheaded-squirrel

I am afraid this might be slightly off-topic even in this sub-forum, but I'll try. I don't want to ask on a student forum - I rarely ever get any good advice there.

So I got my 1st acceptance letter last week (for a Master's programme). The problem is, I am waiting for a response from another school and these are my top two choices. I have to confirm my interest in the programme I got accepted to by March 31. BUT I will only hear from the 2nd school in late March and I need their decision with the scholarship amount to really be able to decide.

I am thinking of calling/emailing (?) the 2nd school to ask whether there is a more precise date for the release of results...yet at the same time, I am so afraid of doing that. I was deffered there from an early admission round to this regular one and now I only have like 25% chance of getting into this 2nd programme.

I am worried that if I ask about the results and the date, they will suspect that I have other choices and reject me. Or should I just tell them upfront to hurry the f*** up, because I am waiting for their decision (to emphasize that they are my top choice)? Is any of these strategies helpful? Any advice on what to do? I really really need some advice, because I don't want to mess up my chances.

Are you willing to forgo the initial deposit money? That's what I did. I said yes to my safety school & paid the deposit because I knew I would not hear from my top pick before the deadline for the safety school. This way I was guaranteed a place. When I got in to my top school, I called the safety school & said nevermind. They kept my money but it was a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Do not call either institution and ask about moving deadlines or for more exact dates. The schools are too big & pushing too much paper to care about you. It's impossible for them to do what you ask because they have to consider all the applicants not just you.

• Author
redheaded-squirrel
Are you willing to forgo the initial deposit money? That's what I did. I said yes to my safety school & paid the deposit because I knew I would not hear from my top pick before the deadline for the safety school. This way I was guaranteed a place. When I got in to my top school, I called the safety school & said nevermind. They kept my money but it was a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Do not call either institution and ask about moving deadlines or for more exact dates. The schools are too big & pushing too much paper to care about you. It's impossible for them to do what you ask because they have to consider all the applicants not just you.

There's no deposit. I would pay the tuition probably in June or later. Although I am not sure how it works after I accept the 1st school...I don't know what would happen if I cancelled my acceptance.

TheFinalWord
I am afraid this might be slightly off-topic even in this sub-forum, but I'll try. I don't want to ask on a student forum - I rarely ever get any good advice there.

So I got my 1st acceptance letter last week (for a Master's programme). The problem is, I am waiting for a response from another school and these are my top two choices. I have to confirm my interest in the programme I got accepted to by March 31. BUT I will only hear from the 2nd school in late March and I need their decision with the scholarship amount to really be able to decide.

I am thinking of calling/emailing (?) the 2nd school to ask whether there is a more precise date for the release of results...yet at the same time, I am so afraid of doing that. I was deffered there from an early admission round to this regular one and now I only have like 25% chance of getting into this 2nd programme.

I am worried that if I ask about the results and the date, they will suspect that I have other choices and reject me. Or should I just tell them upfront to hurry the f*** up, because I am waiting for their decision (to emphasize that they are my top choice)? Is any of these strategies helpful? Any advice on what to do? I really really need some advice, because I don't want to mess up my chances.

Schools already know you have other options so it isn't going to be a surprise if you indicate that in a phone call. If they are going to be so harsh with you over a phone call, just imagine what it would be like to go to school there. I would have no problem with it, but that is me. I also noticed by the spelling of certain words, you may be talking about European programs. I'm not sure what the decorum is there, but I think it is fine to call.

I would just let them know they are my first choice, but you have another offer. Ask if they can let you know before March 31 (it sounds like you said they will get back to you in late March so I'm not totally sure what the conflict is here?). If that is not their normal timeline, ask them if they can expedite the review of your profile as you have to let the other school know by March 31.

Congratulations on your acceptance to one of your top two grad programs! Will the second school provide its admission & scholarship information in an e-mail or will it arrive by mail delivery (which could get delayed)?

Edited by Beach Guy
  • Author
redheaded-squirrel
Congratulations on your acceptance to one of your top two grad programs! Will the second school provide its admission & scholarship information in an e-mail or will it arrive by mail delivery (which could get delayed)?

I am pretty sure they'll be sending the decisions by email.

Now that even the deadlines for external scholarships are closer, I really need to know their answer, whatever that is...when I applied to Sciences Po, they even asked on the application form if there was a deadline for any other scholarships, so that they could do their best to reply by that time. One the one hand, it doesn't seem like a big deal just to ask, but I definitely don't want to mess up (since I was deferred).