New job, How to tell boss about already planned vacation?

I started a job a week ago in a startup and I'm a bit of a slow learner. The thing is I didn't mention that I already booked tickets, hotel and everything before I got this job. I had one interview and I got the offer the next day. I have booked holidays for a week in another country.

This job is huge for me since I was unemployed for nearly a year so I don't want to have a bad impression at this one. I can't postpone my visit since my visa expires soon. I already a lot on this.

I'd like to tell him I plan on working on Saturday and Sunday to make up for the leave. How and when should I inform my boss about this?

How far off is the planned travel?

Ideally, you should have brought it up before accepting the job.

It's not going to look good for you TBH. Does a Saturday and Sunday really make up for an entire week? Is it the type of work where that trade off is fair?

As for when to tell him, ASAP. If you have a probationary period, don't be shocked if they let you go.

• Author
How far off is the planned travel?

Ideally, you should have brought it up before accepting the job.

It's not going to look good for you TBH. Does a Saturday and Sunday really make up for an entire week? Is it the type of work where that trade off is fair?

As for when to tell him, ASAP. If you have a probationary period, don't be shocked if they let you go.

It's more than 7k kilometers far. I'd be taking 8 days of leave in total. Yeah, I should have told them before accepting the offer. It's a software development job.

WaitingForBardot

I have been in a similar position, but discussed it with my prospective employer after they made, but before I accepted, their offer. In your position I would seriously consider skipping the vacation, money and visa issues notwithstanding. Or do you need to take the trip to renew your visa so you can continue to work?

• Author
I have been in a similar position, but discussed it with my prospective employer after they made, but before I accepted, their offer. In your position I would seriously consider skipping the vacation, money and visa issues notwithstanding. Or do you need to take the trip to renew your visa so you can continue to work?

It's pretty hard getting a visa again and I invested a lot into it. I'd like to tell him I plan on working on Saturday and Sunday to make up for the leave and I'd be willing to cancel the visit for the job. The office starts on Feb 15th and I was thinking of advancing my holiday plans to next week, finish my holidays and start working from Feb 25th instead of taking leave after joining the office. Is this is a good idea? I won't be taking leaves after that.

I'd propose the above to your new boss and ask what he feel is the best. Let him know the offer came up so quickly that you were delighted but caught off guard and forgot about the trip. Most employers know people have lives and things come up. There might be a bit of tension for a time but it'll pass.

• Like 1
WaitingForBardot

I think it would be far less disruptive for you and them to delay the start date as opposed to starting, then leaving for a week just as you are getting up to speed. You'd essentially be starting all over again when you got back anyway.

• Like 2
  • Author
I think it would be far less disruptive for you and them to delay the start date as opposed to starting, then leaving for a week just as you are getting up to speed. You'd essentially be starting all over again when you got back anyway.

How risky is it though? Notifying him regarding the vacation at the nth moment.

It's pretty risky. The most professional thing to do would have been to mention the vacation before accepting the position so that the company had the choice to rescind the offer.

Do a mea culpa. Come clean. Do offer to work the weekends & some OT before & after you go. Ask if you can work remotely from vacation. If that can't be worked out, tell him you do not expect to be paid for this time off.

• Like 4

Being an employer myself questions came to mind.

How does one be unemployed for a year and spend money for a vacation?

Wasn't a year unemployment enough time off?

Where is this persons priorities?

How much job dedication is this person actually capable of?

For me if I was going to be a nice guy and OK the time off in a situation like this, I'd have a bad taste in my mouth for quite awhile with that person and they would be on probation in my mind.

• Like 3
WaitingForBardot

I agree with d0nnivain, it is very risky. That you booked tickets, have an expiring visa, etc., are irrelevant. If this job is as important to you as you say in your first post, you will follow d0nnivain's advice...

Do a mea culpa. Come clean. Do offer to work the weekends & some OT before & after you go. Ask if you can work remotely from vacation. If that can't be worked out, tell him you do not expect to be paid for this time off.

...realizing that working OT and/or weekends is not necessarily a workable solution. What about the people that are training you, resources you need access to, etc. Are they available to work OT and weekends just to accommodate your vacation? Will they even be willing?

Again, what you are asking for would be very disruptive. Less disruptive, but still potentially problematic, would be to delay your start date. If the job is as important to you as you say and you feel you otherwise have good long-term prospects there, you have to be prepared to walk away from your vacation.

I would have told them once you got the offer....especially if you already made pre-arrangements. Employers are a little more receptive to this if you tell them the time of hire. I wouldn't do it in the interview as I think that is a bit soon. But you've been working there a week now. Now you're taking a chance. Go ahead and tell them sooner rather than later and see what they say. My husband notified his employer of our travel plans after hire, but then again the vacation was 4 months out, so it wasn't a problem. For you, it's next month....

And your expiring visa...yikes...how did they employ you without knowing this?

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author

For me if I was going to be a nice guy and OK the time off in a situation like this, I'd have a bad taste in my mouth for quite awhile with that person and they would be on probation in my mind.

I was unemployed due to untreated anxiety and depression issues and money is not an issue for me ( I earn money through stocks and shares ).

I called him up and explained my situation. He told me I could take the vacation next month and he wouldn't mind me taking the leave. I hope this didn't leave a bad impression of me.. I guess it did but I had no other choice to be honest and upfront about it. I stressed that job is more important to me and not the vacation. He sounded pretty cool about the vacation.

I was unemployed due to untreated anxiety and depression issues and money is not an issue for me ( I earn money through stocks and shares ).

I called him up and explained my situation. He told me I could take the vacation next month and he wouldn't mind me taking the leave. I hope this didn't leave a bad impression of me.. I guess it did but I had no other choice to be honest and upfront about it. I stressed that job is more important to me and not the vacation. He sounded pretty cool about the vacation.

Then if I were you, I would move forward under the assumption that all is cool and don't mention it again.

This happened to me once. I had gotten a job offer and told them, pre-acceptance, about an upcoming 3-week trip to Europe that my family and I had just bought tickets for. They were fine with it. That's the ideal time to bring it up, but in your case, you didn't, so you will have to deal with whatever fallout may come your way. Don't let that cloud your own opinion of yourself at work, though. Just keep your head down and work hard, don't become "that guy," otherwise things will probably be fine.

Have fun on your vacation!

• 1 month later...

dang! your employees must really love you!

best place I ever worked at was a place where people would leave to travel often, some of them for a few months...rest of us would cover or get help outside if needed and knew we would be covered too when needed....it made for great work atmosphere and we worked like horses because we were a team...amount of work we were able to do due to that kind of atmosphere I never encountered after, especially not in companies where people stay 12 hours because boss did not leave yet

as for the poster of this tread, you messed up for not saying it before accepting...but it happened...

do not feel bad about it, and do not let your confidence be affected by this once you start in the company

good luck!