I feel trapped in my job because of management.

I work at a non profit organization with federal offenders in the community. I do enjoy my job and it's a great opportunity to gain experience and I have worked there the past two years full time. The problem is my boss and also one of my co workers, it has become hell to work in and a total drama fest.

I am good at what I do but I am on the less assertive side. I feel as though my boss (who works in a desk beside us Monday - Friday) is unprofessional and is becoming inappropriate making the work place miserable. Here are examples of things my boss does/has done ( just SOME examples):

-makes inappropriate sexist jokes that he thinks are funny.

-sits on his computer all day playing farm ville on Facebook. Sometimes lately he has been forgetting to do paperwork that is his job. Not often but it has happened. And if any of us (I have 3 other co workers) forgets to do something during the day he makes sure to let us know.

-he farts and belches loudly in the office in front of us 4 females. He has done this in front of a practicum student.

-last week we had an "unofficial evaluation" because he said the company couldn't afford to give us raises this year.

-pops into work on a weekend when he isn't supposed to be there. For example today I worked and he randomly came in and played farm ville on his computer for an hour. He has been doing this a lot lately , my suspicion is to check up on staff on the weekend.

-he has before turned the camera around in the office so he could see what his staff were doing during an evening shift without their knowledge.

He favorites one of our co workers who she has been bossing everyone around lately and doing tasks that are his only (reference checks, asking her to be chair of our team meetings when he was gone, and she even sat in one of his interviews with him recently). She has been increasingly rude to everyone and I believe he is grooming her for his job. My boss wants the director (his boss) to retire so he can take his position. I guess he picked said co worker to secretly take his and everyone in the office is catching on.

Now, my boss isn't all bad and in fact he has done some nice things for me and his other workers before. However I feel like his negative actions out weigh the good.

I have been applying to other jobs with no luck. Usually I don't have issues getting interviews. I really enjoy my other co workers and the job itself but I'm getting increasingly depressed there and feel like quitting a lot recently.

Any input or advice? I feel as though if I expressed my concerns to my boss it would make my working life hell and I don't want to make it worse than it is...

Non-profits are the worst if you are a caring and diligent person. This is because a lot of deadwood end up in places like that who wouldn't be employed by firms where performance actually matters. The only way to be happy IMHO is to avoid anywhere with a deferential culture: NGOs, public sector, charities.

• Author

Thanks for the replies. I am still applying to jobs and hopefully I get a call back. My goal is to be out of there by the end of the summer at the very most. And it would be impossible for me to be laid off because my position basically monitors the offenders and it is a facility that is open 24/7. Without us no one would be coming out of prison.

However, worst case scenerio the facility could close down with lack of funding since it is non profit.

It's also hard because I live in an expensive city and I make enough to pay my bills but not to save a lot, but I'm trying. Ideally I would like to move elsewhere.